SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Food rec's Austin AirBnB last week of July

Lars
9 months ago

My brother Kevin and I are going to Austin for the last week of July and will be there about five days, staying in an AirBnB with a kitchen that is fully stocked with utensils, near 45th & Bull Creek, which is also only a few blocks from our sister's house. We will have a rental car, but are not particularly interested in Austin restaurants, although we will go to a few. The reason for our trip is to attend our brother-in-law's memorial service, the last Saturday in July.

Kevin wants to stock the kitchen when we get there, and I'm not exactly sure what we should buy. We plan to go to Central Market to do our shopping, as we have been there before and like it. Normally, we would go to Trader Joe's, but there isn't one close to where we are staying.

I'm not sure what groceries I want to buy for cooking at the BnB. I think I will probably just buy eggs, bread, cheese, tortillas, and maybe chips. If I end up with leftover eggs, I can leave them at our sister's house.

I was looking for restaurants in Austin, and when I did my search, most of what I found were food trucks and food trailers. I had really bad Vietnamese food at a strip mall that our niece took us to the last time we were there, but I found a Vietnamese food trailer in south Austin that looks good. I'm interested in it mainly because it has Vietnamese rice flour pancakes that I like. I also want to visit Everything New Orleans food truck, which is close to our BnB.

We normally go to Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen while in Austin, which is a chain restaurant, but we like the menu - for me mainly because they have alligator. If we go there, we always end up with leftovers, which we can store in our kitchen in Austin. There might be other Cajun/Creole restaurants in Austin that are worth visiting, and that is what I like best when I am there. Kevin does not eat beef or pork, and so BBQ is not an interest for him, but I like it. We often go to Fonda San Miguel when in Austin, but it's gotten a bit expensive, and we might prefer to go to El Arroyo, which I visited many times when I lived there.

There is a drag brunch we would like go to to on July 29, but it is at exactly the same time as the memorial service, and so that won't be possible. We went to the Palm Springs drag brunch last week and enjoyed that, but it was much more expensive than the one in Austin, and it usually sells out. However, since it is now off-season, we were able to get tickets.

We have two nieces in Austin, and Kevin asked me if I wanted to visit them, and I said only if they invite us. This will not be a pleasant family visit, and we are going mainly to provide emotional support for our sister. I think she might we overwhelmed with her late husband's relatives, and she has told me to expect conflicts from that side of her family. I do not consider his relatives to be my relatives, but they are my sister's relatives by marriage, and she is close to a lot of them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in the Austin area might have some food recommendations for me. I am pretty familiar with Austin, since I used to live there, but that was 1985-88, and I have not visited there since 2017, and then only briefly. I expect that it might be significantly different by now.

Comments (23)