SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

May 2021, Week 4

dbarron
2 years ago

I hate to post first two weeks in a row, but you all are sleeping too late and I wanted to tweet/twitter/bellow/squeak.

Well, the sun is shining for the first time in eight days. Everything is sodden and yesterday when it finally quit raining and a slight drying breeze sprang up, everything was wilting (being used to being underwater more or less). I shudder to think what todays sun will do to things, before the afternoon T-storms that are predicted. TOO much water!

I gotta plan the bi-monthly father visit (last time he was talking to people that weren't in room, I was there..but no visit really occurred) and get it out of the way. I have a dog grooming appt for my poor matted little Havanese that should have been groomed 2 months ago on Wednesday. I have to drive to Joplin Saturday to pick up my pre-ordered plants (I'm hoping that there are some non-preorder plants to browse too...Ozark Soul and Missourri Wildflower are both pre-order only for the event). Hey, I guess it gets me out of the house, I haven't driven to Missourri in at least 3 years and I might just see about a mini-hike that day too there's some interesting creekside I haven't explored on the way.

Plant wise, this year I got tired of pinching the lemon blossoms off my 3-5 year old lemon (which is essentially the same size as when I ordered it), it has a small lemon forming...it may be the death of the tree, but if it isn't going grow anyway....?

My war on virginia creeper, poison ivy, japanese honeysuckle, privet, and euonymus is proceeding with the mass poisoning about a week and a half ago. Hopefully they're dying. I have terrible amounts of vc in the lawn...which hopefully will dry enough to be mowed at least. I found a PI coming up in the middle of my desirable coral honeysuckle, I guess I try to find where it is rooted in and cut it, then spray the new growth near the ground.

So many seedlings to deal with...not that I mind..but so many. Growth this year is aberrant. I have hibiscus and a few other heat lovers that just emerged. I have New England aster at 5 foot currently..I think I may take cuttings or something...otherwise it will be 10 feet when it blooms. My mountain mint (the established one) is in bud, despite not suppossed to start flowering till July.

One of my best friends (in Austin, TX) is getting married today. I'm not in attendance, because travel isn't easy for me, I'm poor, I have dogs, and I would simply be one of many there (I would prefer to visit when I can monopolize my friend). He is going to try to live stream though (because the wife's family is Columbian and in residence there).

Comments (42)

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What a long slow day here. I have done exactly nothing for the second day in a row. And that's not true. I've been reading up on native plants, and Nature's Best Hope. I planted six more peppers. . . WHY?? Two fatali, two yellow Bhut jolokia, and two Hungarian spice, a little bid of weeding, AND now see that I have an even dozen asparagus plants. Yay!

Did your friend get his wedding live-streamed?

I had no idea New England asters could get that tall. I am loving having asters in the yard, though. I used to grow aruncus dioicus and actaea racemosa (I called it cimifuga) when I lived in MN. I'd totally forgotten them. Think I need some down here.

I've been mostly stoked up today with what probably is a pulled muscle in the back. It needs to be better tomorrow, as I have stuff to do in town at the school.

Yes--a sunny day today--anyone have the courage to see the weather forecast for the next 10 days? Looks grim.

By the way, Danny, I am commiserating about the visiting Dad time. It's not exactly a fun activity, I know. Thinking of you.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well I haven't seen NE asters that tall either...till now. Rain fed, I guess.

I have an aruncus dioicus, which should flower next year, I hope. I am thinking it might really struggle in your area...mine is about the farthest south it ranges and it like cooler conditions.

Well here, Tuesday and Wednesday have now morphed into rain days (who is surprised), probably many more to come. What's grim on your side? hot and dry ? :)

• Related Discussions

March 2021 Week 5/ April week 1

Q

Comments (71)
    Lynn, you know... I grew up C of C too. As did Rick (HU). I still attend one...and am actually employed by one. It's not accepted by other C of C really because we're not so...C of C'ish. The one I am at is very, very near where you live. (I remember you telling me your general area.) I had a similar experience growing up. Sort of. My parents and people near me were NOT so hardcore with the "we don't know the true date of Christ's birth and it is wrong to celebrate it on a date that is not in the scripture." Of course you're familiar with the whole "speak where the Bible speaks, be silent where the Bible is silent" thing they had going back then. Some still do. My family celebrated these holidays as mostly a fun, family time. However, our C of C celebrates it all now. (I could ramble on about this, but won't. SO much to say.) Rick (HU) is like you. He left that behind a long time ago. I think the difference is my family (and people near me) weren't so strict. Y'all's people were. And that will make thinking people run far away. And...to prove the point that I'm not strict C of C, I'm enjoying a glass of wine RIGHT now. And coming up with an Easter lesson for my littles tomorrow morning. Sorry. That had nothing to do with gardening. I was just checking in....but had to chime in. I'm late to post on the Saturday night, so it's doubtful Lynn will even see this before the next week's thread will be created.
    ...See More

April 2021 Week 4

Q

Comments (64)
    Hi Nancy, this is Renee (Mrs. Dollar). I am very impressed with your quilts. You are very talented!. I have been quilting since 2006 and the very first quilt I made was for my parents 50 wedding anniversary. I printed pictures of them and the family, incorporated them within quilt. I have a group of ladies that I quilt with at Lake Texoma twice a year. I have learned a lot from them and just bought a Brother Dream Machine 2 from one of the ladies. I am not part of any quilt guild, but just joined a FB group for my machine. I am quilting my lap and twin size quilts on my embroidery machine. It has been fun. I am currently working on a Hunter's Star king size quilt for our bed and am down to the borders. I have been working on it since June of last year. One of the ladies I quilt with has an AccuQuilt Go cutter and I used it to cut out all of my pieces. Man that was amazing how accurate and quick it was to cut out ALL those pieces. I will have Lynn send you a few pics of my work, but I warn you, they will not live up to your work. I especially like the last one. I think the pattern is called sail's trail? Not sure but I have eyed that one several times. Thank you for your interest and look forward to talking again.
    ...See More

May 2021 Week 2

Q

Comments (51)
    It was a terrific gardening day, all in all--except I forgot to put on gardening gloves while planting plants/seeds at Lincoln this morning, so I have THE dirtiest fingernails. Any of you have magic tricks for that? I am so sad. Amy sent me a list of vendors who will be at the native plants tour in Tulsa tomorrow, but I shot the heck out of not only my PLANT budget, but my general budget. I am BROKE. I might prefer to stay BROKE for the rest of this month than to dive into savings. Yeah, probably. To tell the truth, Amy, I have NO idea where I could possibly put any more plants. I had about 10 milkweeds to put in at the school, as well as 8 or so tithonia. I got those in, and then finally threw my hands up--that big center bed has NO more room. So I planted 5 of the milkweed 100 feet away in the "sandbox." The high school ag teacher, a wonderful young man, brought half a dozen of his students with him and they put up the cattle panel trellises and pegged them securely. Then the students (fun guys junior/seniors) helped me plant stuff. I told them not to walk on anything green in that huge center bed, and one of them said, "But EVERYTHING's green!" I said, "Yep, tough marching orders, eh?" But speaking of that, I'd much rather try to pot some of that excess up and give away rather than to simply trash--I could easily take out a bunch of fennel, dill, cosmos, marigolds. Back to the arches/trellises: YAY, this is going to be so much fun, but I could use your your advice, please. I planted some climbing okra, gourds today. But what other great vining stuff can I put in--Amy, know you do. Who else? Oh--I also planted some cucumbers. Advice welcomed, please.
    ...See More

July 2021 Week 4

Q

Comments (52)
    Not much on the house hunting yet. I took yesterday & today off to get some cleaning/organizing/packing/detrashing done. I can't really get anything accomplished on weeknights because as soon as I start I have to fix dinner. Then after dinner I start & then have to get ready for bed. Saturdays weve been busy with meet & greets or dealing with new dogs, Sun is church & groceries. So 2 days of mostly uninterrupted cleaning should help me get some headway. Our bedroom is mostly clear of clutter, garage is organized to start stacking boxes, next is the cat room closet. Once that's done I'll start on the living room & then kitchen. Then we can get photos taken & get this place on the market.
    ...See More
  • Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

You're probably right about the aruncus dioicus. . . because, after all, it did splendidly in MN. But the cimifuga should do well. Nevertheless, I may give both a go just because I get desperate for part shade/shade plants. You never know. I had a sweet spot in my MN yard, I planted a bunch of Joe Pyes (euthrochium purpureum) along the south side of my garage--but tall lilacs formed the western lawn border at a 90 degree angle to the garage, which meant mostly shade, and so that's where I put the goatsbeard and cimifuga. What a glorious trio they were. I am sad I can't have Joe Pye here, but tried out some Baby Joe Pye and it did well. But since it's a cultivar, don't know that it's still good for native insects.

Amy and HJ--Joe Pye should do well in both of your yards--and Larry's--and for anyone who has some full sun areas. They're huge--8 feet or so, and so pretty! And native.

Grim on my side right now is same as grim for you. Having said that. . . some of the plants are very happy, just not blooming much. This would be a glorious forecast if it were the end of July.

Larry. . . am thinking Madge and you are still having rain rain rain, as well?

Moni . . . looks like you are having a blast, biking and hiking--love the FB photos.

And today, Jen, I was wondering just how many garden-related groups you're on in FB.

Check in, OKGW people! What's happening in your neighborhood?

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Thanks for starting the week Danny!

Thanks for posting about my activities Nancy.

I am on soooo many biking related groups it is scary... and then the garden ones... and now hiking ones...

So, I biked today. 23 miles I think it was. I should have driven back with a bucket and picked mulberries. Maybe I do it in the morning, if it doesn't rain.

My yard is very waterlogged. I was out front today and pulled about a garbage can full of 4 o'clocks, and then some more of those weird weeds I posted about last week.

I hope to finish my oval out front this coming week. Something has to start looking good before long... or, I have to ride my bike more. LOL

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I planted a row, maybe 20 to 25 Seminole pumpkins, 2 hills of summer squash, and 6 peppers today. It is much too wet to plant anything, but, I am running out of time. I hope to plant okra tomorrow,but, ip Need to go to town and buy T post to put an electric fence around the area. I tried to plant water melons two day ago by taking compost and top soil and building a mound to plant on, but it was even too wet for that. I have tried to buy bulk compost, but was told it was too wet to make compost.

I planted a row, maybe 20 to 25 Seminole pumpkins, 2 hills of summer squash, and 6 peppers today. It is much too wet to plant anything, but, I am running out of time. I hope to plant okra tomorrow,but, I Need to go to town and buy T post to put an electric fence around the area. I tried to plant water melons two day ago by taking compost and top soil and building a mound to plant on, but it was even too wet for that. I have tried to buy bulk compost, but was told it was too wet to make compost. I have tried to buy bulk compost, but was told it was too wet to make compost.

• Rebecca (7a)
    2 years ago

I brought in a gallon ziplock bag of spinach, a quart bag of sugar snap peas, and a sandwich bag of curly parsley. Also a half dozen new potatoes that I robbed from the plants. Just wanted to see how they were doing. Should be fabulous in a month or so. Mom will pick up half the harvest tomorrow.

I need it to stop raining so I can get out there. I have a few tomato pots that need attention, try to fix the crusty soil problem and save the plants. Everything needs to be fertilized. Need to seed more herbs. Plant more cucumbers. Seed watermelon.

I need sun!!!!

• Rebecca (7a)
    2 years ago

First lilies of the season

Peonies

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

I finally have peas! There's 3 of them, and they're about an inch long, but they're there. Lost year this time I was swimming in the things.

4 tomato plants have fruits forming. But I think I've got septoria on a couple plants. Leaves are turning yellow/lime green & they're covered in tiny black spots. Anyone have a preferred treatment?

Nancy, um.... a lot? LOL

I just went through my list, & I have an insane number of groups. Not just gardening, but seed trading, art, youth ministry, dogs, books... Seems whatever interest I develop, I go join as many groups as I can find & read up on them, then move on to the next interest. But as far as gardening, I have about 20 or so that I actively participate in.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

(not a tomato expert) but that may be just a result of the cold and damp.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Rudbeckia lancinata (cutleaf coneflower) is already waist high (3ftish)

Snapdragons from last year. They survived the derp freeze and are looking spectacular.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Did you know that rudbeckia laciniata is an edible green? You could prune yours a bit if you wanted...I haven't yet tasted it but I'm told it's very tasty.

And yes, those snaps beat any planted this spring.

• farmgardener
    2 years ago

Rebecca your flowers are beautiful! I have several asiatic lilies that I bought on clearance and they multiply every year. Love them. My peonies are from a start from grandmothers- flowers with memories are the best.

Brought in new potatoes today. Larry, these were raised in an old round bale feeder- laid them on dirt, covered with about 2” of dirt then nothing more but straw to cover as they grew. Very pleased with this method.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Farmgardener, thanks for the picture. This gives me a little hope as to how to grow potatoes in the future. My hay/potato project is still under way. I need to come up with an old hay ring so I can pile more hay on my potatoes.

I plan Ted 3 kinds of watermelons this afternoon. I loaded my side by side with good soil and drove through the mud to cut ruts to drain the wzter, then used the good soil to build mounds to plant on. This is the latest I have ever planted my gatden. I am doing some crazy things to try to get some things planted, I will deal with the ruts if the weather ever dries out.

• Megan Huntley
    2 years ago

I've fallen behind but I'll try to catch up later. I'm still not getting near the rain most of the rest of you are. It's not surprising compared to the folks in eastern Oklahoma but really surprising compared to those of you who are in the OKC metro. The north metro and south metro are very different this year. Total in the last two weeks, I've had maybe 1.5" and that's counting the virtually immeasurable drizzle as .25". It has been overcast and drizzly, sometimes with a light rain, for most of the last week but just slow and keeping things damp and topsoil saturated. The puddles aren't holding water, except briefly if we get a heavier rain. I am getting worried about fungal issues so I may go do some additional pruning on my tomatoes later this week.

I'll be taking a long weekend from work, will be off on Thursday and Friday this week in addition to the holiday. Like too many times, I didn't realize how desperately I needed a break until I finally scheduled it. Once I did, the countdown started and it is not getting here fast enough! I'll be grateful for it. I have plans to finish digging out the rain garden. It will be a lot of work because the heavy clay will be pretty much saturated, so I'm not committing myself to finishing but will work hard and complete as much as possible. I know the HOA pool will open this weekend, but the weather appears set to cool down again just in time for that with highs in the low- to mid-70s Friday through Monday. We'll have fun anyway. Unfortunately, the hubs has to work all but Sunday, yes even the holiday, so it will be a stay-cation. Being a holiday weekend, I'm not super eager to go anywhere though because everyone else will be "there" too.

I have most of "the things" planted or started. I have zinnia started to replace the garlic when it's time for that to come out later next month and rose moss planted in several pots here with a little set aside to go into the container that my dwarf cherry tomatoes are planted in. Also, later next month will be time to take cuttings of the tomato plants so I can replace them after all the set-fruit ripens in July. I was forced to do that a couple years ago due to spider mites and it worked so much better for fall fruit. For some reason, I didn't get around to doing it last year but definitely will make it a point to do this year. I have ivy geraniums set aside to go in a planter in the front yard, but the snapdragons there continue to do pretty well in this weather.

I do have to find a spot for a black and blue salvia. I was out running errands with the hubs and asked him to stop by the nursery because I needed a new saucer for the office plant I'll be taking back with me next week. He went inside and fell in love with one. And the struggle is real at this point because I genuinely don't have anywhere to squeeze it in and all my containers are planted, except one used to corral tennis balls for the dog and another used to corral broken bits of brick that get used for a variety of things around the yard. Maybe it will tolerate being in a high spot in the rain garden?

I have lettuce coming out of my ears! My family is going to hate me by this time next week because we've been eating salads for days and that's what we're eating for several more. I have always hoped/dreamed of having enough to donate to a food pantry and found one online that said they accept produce from home gardeners. I always have more than my family can eat and share it with family and coworkers but this year I planted extra to donate. The food bank has not returned my calls and all this lettuce will be in flower by the time I return to working in the office next Tuesday. So salads into next week and death threats from the household if I fix a salad again before next spring. It's sort of like Thanksgiving leftovers, I guess. :)

That's it from here.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Its raining here,and looks as the we will have at least a 20 percent chance foe rain every day for the next 2 week. My plants are turning yellow. I am glad I made some raised rows in the wildlife garden. I planted 36 leftover tomato plants over there, they my be my life saver. I have plenty of open ground to plant, but I don't know when I will be able to get into the area to plant, its so muddy that it pulls my boots off when I try to walk through.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

I'm taking off tomorrow-Friday, heading up to see dad & go to the cemeteries tomorrow, then back home Thurs & Fri I plan to putter anround & maybe get some house stuff done. We have 4 guests right now, lose2 & gain another Friday, then gain 3 more Sat. All are returning guests & have been together before, which makes the dynamics so much easier to deal with. But an easy crowd means I can get a little more done than I normally can with a houseful.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Megan I get the to much salad stuff. I have the same situation here. I just offered some friends to come and shop fresh/for free here. :) I hope both come before I end up filling the compost.

Been out pulling carp. This is/was all over my front yard. I have no name, nor do I know what would truly kill it, or keep it from germinating next spring. Been pulling as it is so much kinder for the environment, and cheaper. :) Tell me what you know please.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Looks like something in the hemlock family..I don't know what though. I'd almost say daucus (wild carrot)...but they all look alike.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Danny, when I got to work on Sunday and opened up my computer, I thought about starting the thread and then had the idea that someone else was starting it as I was starting. So, I didn't. :)

Joe Pye. I'll check it out, Nancy.

Larry, I'm jealous of your Seminole and squash. I don't dare try it this year. The pests were so bad last year. What variety of peppers and melons did you plant?

Rebecca, pretty flowers! And a good harvest too! The spinach and peas will make a tasty salad or stirfry.

Jen, do you think the tomatoes are struggling because of the cool, damp weather?

Your flowers are pretty too!

I'm excited because the first LB petunias have flowers now. These petunias are so nuts. They're growing in the grass now. They just reseed so well for me.

How's everyone else's doing?

Also, the cardinal climbers that I moved (in large pots) to the greenhouse are blooming. Good call on moving them. Now, I just need to find a better place for these pots once it gets sunny. I have a couple of ideas.

Farmgardener, nice potatoes!

Megan, it's good that your family will eat salad. Tom rarely will eat one and Ethan says, "I don't eat leaves". So, it's just me. And I normally eat a salad everyday. But, still! I can't eat this much lettuce.

Spring salads are different from summers salads. In the spring, there's all sorts of lettuce, spinach, sugar/snow peas, radish, carrots, broccoli--stuff like that.

Then, in the summer, I have to buy lettuce but the garden gives me tomatoes and peppers.

I like both but would like to have all ingredients ALL year. It's not the way the seasons work, though.

Enjoy your time off, Megan and Jen.

I am only working Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays this summer. I will SO much enjoy this (but may miss the income from the second job).

The garden looks really nice other than the aphid issue. And it's a bad one. Some of you might have seen my little video on FB. Luckily the ladybug population is growing on our property. Hopefully this will be helpful in future years.

Also, I found 2 newly hatched worms of some sort on the tomato plants. IF, they are hornworms, it seems early for those. The worms were so tiny it was hard to tell what they were. They were green.

Our bathroom remodel is moving slowly. Tom hired a guy to do the wall texture work. I want bead board/wainscoting on the lower portion of the walls, so Tom still needs to do that....and his friend who is going to help him tile the floor is coming over on Thursday. Once those things are done, I can get in there and paint (I wish I had time to paint before the floor is installed but I doubt I'll have time. The wall texture is drying slowly probably because it's so humid. My hair has never been so BIG).

Once those things are done, I can get the toilet, tub, and vanity/sink in. Looking forward to that. Hoping it's done before E gets back from Portland. The 3 of us sharing a bathroom hasn't been so fun. (I know we're spoiled).

E left for Portland yesterday morning. His flight got messed up (again)! So, he went to Phoenix, then to LA, then FINALLY to Portland. He didn't get there until about 11 pm (1 our time) and politely texted me to let me know that he arrived safely. He was originally supposed to arrive there about noon their time. He'll be there for 3 weeks. Plenty of time to finish the bathroom, right?

M&M got moved out. I will miss visiting her in that little house. She saved her money (by living with my Mom) for about 6 months after graduating college and bought that house all on her own. I enjoyed her so much during that time. I still do, but she is busier now being married and all. It was such a special time of watching her become a true adult. Little things like going to Target with her and pulling out my wallet at the register and realizing she was pulling out her wallet to pay for her own stuff. LOL.

She made a lot of money on the sell of that house even after living there for only 4 years. However, finding another house right now isn't easy. I'm glad they can live with her in-laws, who have a very large home. Hopefully the right house will show up soon and they will be the chosen ones--there's multiple offers on all houses now.

In the past when we've discussed candles (We had a lot of discussions about random things when Dawn was still with us--and not just in heart), I mentioned how the battery candles fade out around March or so. They get new batteries around October when candles become super important to me again because the days are getting shorter. I don't think about candles much during the summer. However, I have two candles (on timers) that are still barely shining--they're about gone, but still have just a little light. It's sort of like this year and how the sun isn't shining so much this spring. I'm amused by it.

However, the sun was shining beautifully when I got out of Pilates last night. So good to see! And yes, we are back in the studio! As of last week. So good to be back. The Zoom Pilates wasn't cutting it any longer. At first, everyone was so polite and careful anytime anyone had a Zoom class/meeting/etc. But everyone is over that. They burp, shut doors loudly, bring neighbors in. It's hard to be mindful of Pilates when all of that is going on.

My new plan is to exercise in the mornings on my days off...and that is what I'm going to do right now.

Have a good day, Everyone!

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The first traps on my venus flytraps opened last week. Yesterday saw the first pitchers on the pitcher plants open for business (oh..when I took out the dried up ones from last year..they were filled to brim with insects, which I really couldn't tell till I cut them open). The sundews were open for collection several weeks ago. I may try to expand the container I have it in (ie replace) this fall. I accquired a bunch of weeds last year from a purchase that had lots of things growing with it. Some were welcome (like the forked leaved sundews), but there's a small yellow flowering plant that is simply taking over and threatening to crowd out the red leafed venus flytrap.

I started researching eustoma grandiflorum this week (the plant that used to be called lisianthus) which is native from Tx->Nebraska. I'm going to try to grow the species this summer. It overwinters I think in most of it's range, because there is absolutely no way it can be in flower in KS in June (photographs) if it sprouts in the spring. BUT...the lit says only can overwinter in z8 or higher....but that just has to be wrong. Anyway, I messaged the Kansas Native Plant Society members to ask when and where they found it (that's where I got June). It's wonderful how social media has allowed us to reach out to people in other regions. I think I have a pretty good chance because it usually occurs in sandy seeps or on pond banks. It'd sure add punch as a flowering annual....and I saw in July near Houston...do you know how hot it is in Houston in July, it has to be tough! Anyway, I'm going to try to add some native annuals to my display (eustoma, black eyed susans, basketflower (may have to grow that in pots), leavenworth eryngo, gaillardia (also potted...since it does not tolerate mud)).

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

I spent yesterday updating my "things to try list". I usually wait until fall, but so many of them are from prairie moon and some I want FOR fall, so I thought I would see what I had. 33 PM possibilities, LOL. I realized,many were spring blooming and I need them spaced out, but there have been so many gorgeous flowers featured on FB this spring. I was thinking it would be cheaper this year...silly me.

the dogwood we had planted in March has never leafed out. I think it died. The red bud is doing ok.

Ron thinks he is going to mow. I hope it's not too wet.

We're supposed to have sun this afternoon. Rain tomorrow. Probably Friday. Babysitting Thurs and Fri. Would be nice to have dry weather. Sigh. Only good thing is we put a TV in the toyroom. We don't have to watch obnoxious kids TV shows.

we have not had as much rain as many of you. But it has certainly been dreary. Sasquatch looks so sad.

Ok Danny Leavenworth eryngo is on my list. Tell me about it. Some of these things will have to go in big pots, because the weed whacker would not recognize them. I have Joe Pye seeds Nancy, but no place to put them safe from said weed whacker.

Moni, do your weeds have stickery seeds that stick to you (and everything else?). It's known as hedge parsley or I just call it stick tights. In the same family as hemlock and carrot. Pull it. I wouldn't even compost it.

XOXO

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, I saw Leavenworth eryngo in Tulsa (out on a country road where I happened to be for some reason)..it was August or September and it was glorious purple. I had always assumed it to be a drylander (like most of it's family), but apparently (reading) it likes ample moisture, so I thought I should give it a try. Like many things, I believe it sprouts in the late summer and overwinters as a rosette (so that's why I shopped yesterday..so I have them in time to start them in August).

Hee, I'm putting my drylanders in pots...I bought (you could do this) 30 bamboo steaks (6 in a bag) to mark things so *I* dont mow or step on them. The yard is therefore an interesting array of bamboo spears this year. As clumps of things get bigger, maybe I won't need those (not sure)? My original plan was like my prairie work, I'd kill the turfgrass. I just this past week realized, unless I plan on reseeding with native grasses (and the city would have an absolute cow), this would be a mud plain and an erosion mess. So...I guess I just have expanding clumps of perennials in the middle of my yard. I will see how this goes, and maybe they all go into expanded beds next year if it's too much trimming/weeding. Best laid plans of mice?

I groaned at myself yesterday though..because I have so many seedlings now...and I'll barely be through with them in August, when I want to start MORE? (should have my head examined)

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Jennifer, this is where I want to grow melons. I had one hill here last year and it did well, but it is much wetter this year. I have planted moon and stars, crimson sweet, and sugar baby. I will try to cut another ditch tomorrow to try to drain more water away

This is the raised rows I made to plant on in the wildlife garden. My neighbor came over this afternoon and said that we bad 11 more days of rain. I sure need some of Dawn's little

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Boats was to be on the last post, but for some reason it did not transfer.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I used your photo yesterday, Slowpoke, to try to illustrate to a friend in Edmond why I can't simply move dirt around and improve my drainage with regards to plants that are dying from six weeks or so of inundation. I think she can't conceive that my yard looks like your field and has for quite some time.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Danny, moving dirt is what I am trying to do to improve the drainage here. This is my daughters land and I am tr ying to prove the land and make nice building area. The area in the first pix use to a gravel and shale road. To move the dirt needed, you need a lot of time and equipment.

The second picture use to be dance woods. This has been done in small steps each year. Because I wanted to save some of the trees, I could not just go in and do dozer and excavator work alone. I also did not want to spend a lot of money. I have less than $3,000.00 in the project so far. Over half of that cost is survey and tree trimming cost, but I have tons,of man hours and diesel fuel invested.

It is hard to believe that you can grow a crop on an old road bed, but I plan on that happening. The old road has not been used in over 100 years. It was a job getting to point to grow a cover crop to till into the soil. The smart thing to do would be to buy top soil, but I don't have that kind of money, plus I need something to do.

I need to get over to the wildlife garden and get to work, we are suppose to have a bad day today, more rain and storms.

Larry

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, I haven't the money nor the equipment...Spring(dale) (aka refers to springs..and it WAS and maybe still is a marsh) will have to just keep being what it is. I could (again money) make a huge berm in the backyard...that would help me and make it even worse for the neighbors though. Sounds messy in a city lot though.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Amy, yes, it has those sticky little seed heads later. I just hope to get it all out before they are ripe.

Larry and Danny, I have the standing water problem too, but I made it happen. My whole back yard used to be so waterlogged... but now, it isn't as bad anymore. Today was the first time I got out and saw, where it still collects. I need to drench that one ditch more.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Mini, it looks like you have things under control. My wildlife garden looks better today, even though we got a lot of rain last night. Yesterday I scratched a ditch with a tee post, it really helped with the drainage. I hope to put a how in my side by side today so I can do a better job on the drainage.

Yesterday I got an electric fence installed around the people food part of my wildlife garden, today,no damaged plants.. And it looks like I may have some summer squash and Seminole pumpkins coming up, too muddy to get out and check.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

How's everyone doing?

We got about 2 and a half inches in about 1 and a half hours.

On a side note. I'm home today and Kelly and Ryan is on TV. She is my age. How does she stay so thin and cute?! I've never really watched this show but remember when she was on All My Children many, many years ago.

Anyway...we've already been to Lowes this morning. Bathroom tiling happened last night. We ran out of thin set when we had about 5 tiles left. And it was 10 minutes to 10. No way to get to the store to purchase more. UGH. We were messaging/calling neighbors to see if anyone had any sitting around. No luck. So, that part of the process will be finished this morning. Then, I guess it will have to sit/set for a day or so and then grout.

I didn't even look in the garden area. However, I might run up to Marcums in a bit. They had black petunias last week. I didn't buy any because petunias don't do that well for me other than the LB ones. But, they were so pretty....and I really want a white and black theme for my front flower beds/pots.

(White and black AND the pink hydrangea that is staying. Oh, and the balloon flower that I planted 3 years ago and didn't realize that it would come back every year. It's purple. I'll leave it too. )

After it dries a bit, I'll go outside to look over everything and will probably do some weeding and tending to flowerbeds and such. There's really not much for Rick and I to do tonight with the veggie gardens other than weed the raised beds.

We got the melons planted Wednesday night. I do STILL have the roselle plants in the greenhouse. Maybe I'll work on that tonight if it's not too muddy. They may have to wait until tomorrow, though.

A neighbor: "you're making another garden?"

I guess she is referring to the area behind our shop, which I've been talking about making into a garden for 4 or 5 years. Eventually it will be for flowers only. A wildflower type of garden, but this year it is loaded up with sweet potatoes, melons, 4 leftover tomatoes, some garlic that I planted years ago, and soon to be roselle.

So, do y'all remember the huge success of my Seminoles in 2019? I still have some sitting on top of the pantry in the utility room. But, one of them rotted. Nasty. I'm not sure how I just noticed it 2 days ago. But, oddly enough the other ones STILL look fine. I'll be happy not to deal with squash pests this year.

I think my plan is to skip two years of squash and then plant it every third year. Maybe it will give squash a chance to produce a good crop before the pests find me again.

I'm hoping the sweet potatoes will produce. I'll often use sweet potatoes for winter squash or vice versa in recipes. Out of the 24 plants I purchased, 18 look good. I messed up and let one variety sit in the package too long and get mushy. I'm happy that some of them are making little leaves, though. Maybe the others will too.

Alrighty. I hope you all have a good weekend. It feels weird with Tom being home...and it me too, actually.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

We had 2.5 inches in the rain gauge this morning.

Poor pic, but you normally can't see the bottom of the ditch from the house. A memory came up today of 2015, same scene. Ron thinks it's 5' deep. I think deeper. Anyway, there's a bridge upstream and the water was almost over it.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Super excited to have my first lettuce head ever to grow in my garden.

Normally it gets too hot too early in the spring for this to happen and I eat leaves—cut and come again.

It has been a cool spring.

Thing is, what variety is this? It’s not Jericho Romaine or Thai Oakleaf or Drunken Woman.

Could it be Anuenue Batavian?

That is one that Dawn recommended over a year ago. Anyone else have experience with this variety?

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't do lettuce, because I feel other greens have more nutrition in them, but as far as head lettuce goes, that is quite impressive.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

HJ, I'm almost positive it's from the cool and rain. Just those couple of warm days made everything improve. Now to get through the weekend and dry out a little.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

It is good to see everyone doing well and gardens are flourishing.
    I have planted so many things in pots and nothing in ground this year. I got my white garden planted and a mouse or something ate the sunflower seeds. I will plant some more in the morning.
    Jennifer I always thought Kelly looked sick and emaciated. Mom loved that show so I got to see it when I would come to visit.
    Have you seen Jess’ black hollyhocks. Crazy gorgeous.
    I am fighting mud and mosquitoes right now and I don’t like it.
    I don’t know if I mentioned it but I really want a piece of land. Where my trees can grow and produce fruit and berries to their hearts desire.
    That is my hearts desire

• HU-422368488
    2 years ago

okmulgee garden report:

just got okra and beans planted. both are up. Planted "bird Egg" shell bean, Top Crop green bean, Red Kidney bean , Red Scarlet runner bean . Planted some winter squash. , some patty pan squash. Black Coco black bean. tomatoes are looking good so far but need to mulch them. onions are on the merge of rottening , because of all the rain. Potatoes too. I hate wet springs. They just plain suck..

Cool season things are beginning to bare little. getting some brocollici and califlower. Cabbage is making a big show. May be in a sauerkraut mode this Memorial week end. Might get some green pea pods too.. Have been getting greens all along. Collards , Swiss Chard , Kale, overwintered spinach and lettuce.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Kim, I think I have an unhealthy thing about thinness and all . But only regarding myself. It's not an obsession any longer and I rarely notice other people's sizes. In fact, I couldn't begin to describe most of my friends' sizes--I just don't notice. (I'm only hard on myself.) But, for whatever reason Kelly stood out to me today. Maybe it was her cute jeans and top. I don't know.

Yes! I love those black hollyhocks! For some reason I thought they didn't do well in my area. Maybe I should try them.

Oh, and keep meaning to tell you that the little fig you brought to me is doing so well!

I will be praying for you, Kim. I know how badly you want your own land.

All of the SF plants are doing well except your milkweed, Jen. The mint is minty and growing. Do you remember the variety? The name is faded already.

The only things I do not have in a pot or the ground yet is the soapwort, the feverfew and the cutleaf coneflower. Trying to determine the best places for those.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer I do as well have unreasonable expectations for myself.
    I am on a new health journey and hope to knock out several issues soon. Gardening helps.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Looks like I have two clear days ahead, and a month behind on my work. I hope to get some butternut and okra planted. I will have to check with my neighbor. We each use each other as a " backup '. We both have strung over 1/4 mile of hot wire. I am a little uneasy, I have never tried to keep deer out of a place that large. An electric fence works well for a small area, but with a large area I expect that they will just jump the fence and eat whatever they want.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Anuenue is a head lettuce from Hawaii. I grew it once, it's supposed to be heat tolerant. Didn't work for me, but sometimes experiments get ignored for other things.

Sounds like Okmulgee is doing pretty good HU. Sorry about the root crops.

Ron is out grinding up wisteria branches. It has already resprouted along the fence.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

HJ, I brought chocolate, strawberry and mojito. The ones labeled strawberry turned out to be a weed so I don't think it was that. The chocolate ones are iffy, they don't smell like chocolate and sometimes don't smell like mint at all. So my guess is you got mojito. If you want some chocolate, let me know. I had to split my container & now have 3 that are going gangbusters. Or want lavender? I didn't know I could grow it & now I have 3 or 4 kinds.

I grew a black hollyhock a couple years ago. It did really well, even when it was covered in rust & I think spider mites. It grew to about 6ft & was just loaded in blooms, once they died I cut it down to the ground & it came back bigger & bushier, got another round of blooms before the bugs got it.