SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Name something(s) you learned here

socks
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

I've gotten so much help here over the years. Recommended items to buy, personal care and more.

Here's a few for starters:

Jar lid loosener (Alisande) Amazon.com: 1 Pc Jar Pop Jar Opener Jarpop Jarkey Vacuum Breaker Key Rim Lid Lifter Top New : Home & Kitchen

Dish drying mat (Glenda...These were fairly new when Glenda mentioned them.)

Garnet Hill leggings (Nicole?)

Comments (53)

• socks
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Was that you Nicole who mentioned the Garnet Hill leggings? I've gotten two pair. They aren't meant for yoga but are sturdy enough, don't rip in the crotch. It's the cotton ones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

So many things I've learned, but a few that pop out:

Trip advice has been most helpful from all our friends who live and travel.

My window treatments in my FR and Kit wouldn't be gone if it wasn't for all of you!

Great book recommendations

socks thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Related Discussions

You learn something every day or I am sorry

Q

Comments (16)
    I think that time of day has a lot to do with it. I have noticed that this plant and many cacti as well as succulents such as cyanchum smell the strongest during the hot hours of the day. Other succulents, such as Pachypodium lamerei smell the strongest during the early hours of the evening. Emy
    ...See More

If you could learn something new for a day.....

Q

Comments (23)
    Joann, hate to disappoint... I have a stunning kitchen with beautiful appliances but haven't a clue how to cook. I have no basic cooking skills and really very little desire to cook. My mother hated cooking and was terrible at it so that I was never taught anything. The only thing I did in the kitchen as a child was wash dishes, make coffee in a percolator and try to find my mother's meatloaf recipe so I could toss it away! :-) I figure if I spent a day learning the basics with the right person, a love for the art of cooking might rub off on me.
    ...See More

Now here’s something you don’t see everyday

Q

Comments (9)
    Dedtired, 'troop' of kangaroos is an accepted collective noun, but that which is more commonly used is a 'mob' of kangaroos. We have had a particularly cold snap and areas that haven't had snow for decades are enjoying it. For many of you who have deep snow annually, you would probably laugh at the amount we get excited about in these parts.
    ...See More

Here’s my citrus collection, nice to meet you!

Q

Comments (10)
    @socalnolympia I'll keep it in mind! Right now I don't have any in-ground space for my citrus anyway... I've got around 20 fruit trees (different kinds, different ages, different sizes) planted very close in my "orchard" part of the backyard. Side yard is basically covered in raised beds for a vegetable garden and citrus trees are tucked here and there all around that. There are also my 3 peach trees in containers (easier to protect them from Peach Leaf Curl), between the south-facing wall of the house and one of the garden beds. The only remaining piece of the ground that gets full sun is in my front yard, but I'm not ready to plant any fruit-bearing plants there just yet. A fancy greenhouse might be good there, but it's near an easement, so I don't think it's a good idea to put it there.
    ...See More
  • User
    9 months ago

I’ve learned some plant names from floral. I don’t always remember them all but I’m always impressed with what she knows.

eta I guess if I don’t remember the names, I didn’t learn them😄, but I have learned some information about them.

socks thanked User
  • bragu_DSM 5
    9 months ago

sometimes ... you can judge a book by its cover ... sometimes.

socks thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 months ago

Definitely honed my writing skills here 😀

And I can't even begin to list all the things I learned from the many, many members over the many, many years I've been visiting these forums. I found Gardenweb back in the late 90s!

socks thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Ded tired
    9 months ago

I learned i was paying way too much for Medicare RX.

And so much more!

socks thanked Ded tired
  • Jupidupi
    9 months ago

So many recipes! Sheet pan chicken comes to mind.

I've also learned that serious bakers weigh their flour instead of relying on measuring cups. (I'm not there yet.)

I've learned the term misophonia and now know that it's not just me.

It's great connecting with and learning from people whose lifestyles are different than my own. We're quite a varied group!

socks thanked Jupidupi
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 months ago

I believe it was here that people mentioned a stainless steel kitty litter box when I complained about the odor from the one I had. Who knew! Changed my life!

socks thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    9 months ago

Not everyone agreed, but the best advice I got here was to put my garbage in the freezer (wrapped or bagged) until trash day. No more stinky trash can in the kitchen!

socks thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • nicole___
    9 months ago

@socks...No...not me. I've never tried Garnet Hill. I wear a LOT of Nike & Under Armour brand clothing & hats. The last cotton tights I purchase were end-of-the-season markdowns for $1 each...and they're awesome! No shrinkage. They're long enough and really soft!

socks thanked nicole___
  • lucillle
    9 months ago

"Just because someone throws the ball, doesn't mean you have to catch it"

An epiphany, here, changed the way I see the world, and not just online.

socks thanked lucillle
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 months ago

Recipes on the cooking forum have been the most helpful! I remember looking around over there and wondering what T&T meant.

I have enjoyed Nicole's bargain threads, jasdip's game threads and chili dog prizes, Jim's vacation pictures, Casey's interesting websites, Moni's bike trips... on the Table.

socks thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 months ago

socks... Looks like Anglo is the one who got people turned onto Garnet Hill

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5541856/legging-lovers#n=7

socks thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • socks
    Original Author
    9 months ago

OMG rob333, I have no idea how you found that. The exact post I remember.

MrsM, I'm confused. Why are you mentioning cliques. You think there are cliques here on KT? Did you feel left out of something here?

• woodrose
    9 months ago

Of course there's a clique here, socks. Those of us who are not in it know that very well.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 months ago

Some people are territorial. IMO, it's not necessarily a clique because not everyone behaves like a gatekeeper, but I see some folks do get huffy about newbies sometimes.

And I just was reminded that I did learn a lot of chat acronyms here.

• lucillle
    9 months ago

Woodrose, you can always find your own group of people to hang with here on the KT, and they would be lucky to have you.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

I don't think the conversations in this forum are clique-ish. There is some diversity of a number of types among participants (though if racially, that's not knowable because of anonymity). Some diversity. But as in any relatively heterogeneous group of people, many views tend to average to the middle. Conformity and sameness are boring, but pushback against extremist comments from any extreme is to be expected.

• jrb451
    9 months ago

I learned how to make Brownie Brittle! Thanks Glenda.

• wildchild2x2
    9 months ago

I have a stronger word for the cliques here but I won't use it. Have no desire to engage them. I seriously doubt that woodrose and MrsM feel "left out". LOL Who would want to be a part of of any group that is being rather tactfully referred to as a clique rather that what they really are about?

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

What's the point of a comment saying "I would say what I think it is but, no........ I won't say what I think it is"?

• socks
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'm just baffled by the clique comment. I guess I'm just clueless, oblivious to slights I might receive. So disappointing to learn of this, but I wonder if it's even true.

Honestly, if people feel injured by not being included in the supposed clique, why are you here?

• Cindy 7 VA
    9 months ago

I'm not sure that clique is the correct word. There are some posters who seem to go out of their way to put others down.

• MrsM
    9 months ago

Honestly, if people feel injured by not being included in the supposed clique, why are you here?

No injuries here lol. I was making an observation. But there's a lot of subjects on this site that I'm otherwise interested in.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

Expressing disagreement or a different point of view is not a put down.

• arkansas girl
    9 months ago

Ack...could we please get this train back on the track! This was starting out as a very interesting subject. :(

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

That's a good idea.

For me, comments in this forum serve as a reminder of the heterogeneity of people in the US. Not only the differences to be expected because of differences in age and gender. Also differences in attitudes, personal and social practices, and life experiences, among other things. Differences seem to sometimes be regional, sometimes not.

• Lars
    9 months ago

I can't remember what all I have learned, but some of it had to do with cleaning products, I think - nothing life changing. I've gotten some good health information, but I can't think of the specifics at the moment. Whatever it was, I've incorporated it into my life so that I don't have to think about it.

I did learn that a lot of people have basements, and that is something that I am not familiar with.

I'm not sure if the question is for KT only or for all GW forums. I've learned more on the cooking forum than any other forum.

I've learned a lot about games.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 months ago

Well that’s easy. I’ll never forget it:

Many years ago (I have been here since the early 90s) I learned that totally respectable women went to bed without underpants! Or even nude!! A revelation to me as the daughter of a very private, maybe even prudish woman.

A real eyeopener. 😳

• Lars
    9 months ago

^That's something I definitely never learned.

• Annegriet
    9 months ago

An amazing recipe for tomato bread pudding. It's a family staple now. So much yummy yummy goodness in a casserole dish.

• liira55
    9 months ago

I learned a lot of recipes thanks to Glenda. Also, i learned that some topics or questions turn into agruements.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 months ago

We love Glenda’s Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie, but with dark brown sugar rather than light brown sugar. She also recommended Paula Dean’s Corn Pudding, which family now likes for Thanksgiving dinner.

GIANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

1/2 c white sugar

1/2 c dark brown sugar

1/2 c melted butter

1 egg

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 c flour

1/2 c chocolate chips

Stir sugars and butter together. Add vanilla and egg, and then dry ingredients.

Press dough into a 9” circle on a cookie sheet covered with foil. Bake at 325 degees for 16 minutes till edge starts to turn golden. Cool. Lift by using foil.

• wildchild2x2
    9 months ago

Marilyn's Fruitcake. People who don't like fruitcake like hers.

• marilyn_c
    9 months ago

Littlebug.... I have slept nude almost all my life... Never gave it any thought, but now that I am alone, I sleep in my clothes, because I never know when I may have to get up and go outside to see why the dogs are barking. And I was raised by Quakers! 😊

I learned about Nido dried, whole milk from Lars.

• happy2b…gw
    9 months ago

Yup, Glenda's recipes as well as Marilyn Sue are some of my family's favorites. I ahve learned that if I am thinking it, you are too. Conversations with my daughters often spark. "Oh, we were just discussing this on my forum." They have become accustomed to me referencing you all.

• Ded tired
    9 months ago

I learned that in the Chain Reaction game you have to keep the number of comments even. 😉

• lindaohnowga
    9 months ago

I learned that Glenda doesn't like the crusts on bread, just like me.

• chisue
    9 months ago

There are too many to list! I've also learned that the KT is very patient about answering my Old Lady querries on so many topics.

• petalique
    9 months ago

This is a fun thread! Like Lars, I seem to have absorbed a lot without being able to recall much specifically.

Chisue, so funny, but I have no idea to what you’re referring. Sounds interesting.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 months ago

Over the years, I have absolutely learned a lot about people in this forum. There is a great deal to love and admire about this group, that’s for certain. The disappointments are few and far between.

One of the most important things learned is that the BEST way to make easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs is to steam them not boil them! Thank you, thank you, thank you for that life changing tip. 😀

• matthias_lang
    9 months ago

Three or four people recommended a SmartCart for garden use. I bought the 12 cubic foot contractor grade with spoked wheels. What a step up from carriers I'd been using. Would not know of these well engineered carts if not for Kitchen Table. https://www.smartcarts.com/store/p12/Original_Smart_Cart_12_cu_ft_%28Contractor_Grade%29_%2A%2A%2AFree_Shipping_US_48%2A%2A%2A.html

• lily316
    9 months ago

Too many good hints to recall. But I enjoy reading all of them.

• SEA SEA
    9 months ago

So many things learned. Y'all were my aunties I never had. I still read here when I have time. I don't post here hardly anymore, because a certain someone likes to bring strange discord where none was present...but this group is a wealth of knowledge, which I appreciated.

• jane__ny
    9 months ago

I learned kindness and compassion.

Jane

• OutsidePlaying
    9 months ago

When I first started reading the KT, I remember learning a good bit about laundry from MamaPinky. Of course I’m not illiterate about laundry, but oh boy she was a pro about sheets! Also have seen many new recipes to try and product info.

I also learned we have at least 2 others here from the same general area where I live. We’ve never met, but it is cool knowing they are here.

I’ve been meaning to say, I’m very happy to see Marilyn_c here again. We often wonder about our members and how they are doing so glad you have been posting again and hope you and your horses are well.

• chisue
    9 months ago

I'm the Old Lady, and it's been wonderful to know people here will pitch in with answers to questions about almost anything I'm stuck pondering.

One thing I use almost daily is what I call The Penguin, the gadget for opening tab-top cans. The KT also guided me to a battery powered can opener for cans without tabs. (Nicole provided that link, I think, and she also urged me to protect ourselves by putting a rental property into an LLC.) Big stuff, Little stuff, if the KT doesn't have the answer, nobody does.

I'm also happy to see Marilyn C back on the board!

• Lars
    9 months ago

I learned which toilet seat bidet to buy from Ded tired, and I'm very grateful to her for that.

• lily316
    9 months ago

Mama Pinky was a trove of laundry info. I learned a lot from her. She died too young.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH