SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

(UPDATED) 8/21) help!Another Wedding Guest Attire question

salonva
10 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Asking for guidance on what to wear to a Sunday 4 pm wedding at the end of August. I expected this one would be a bit more formal than the recent ones we've attended ( recent being a year ago and before that who can remember).

We received an e invite a about 2 weeks ago and rsvp'ed we'll be attending.

Today we received another email asking for our meal preference AND it said

"Black-Tie Optional: Tuxes and gowns are preferred, but not required."

I am 97% sure DH will not be in a tux, and also quite sure that I will see everything being worn.

I do like long dresses so that's ok with me. I don't know that I'll go with a gown gown but now I am at the what do I wear for real?

I'm a 14/16, of course heavier than I should be, and full busted . Bras for me are an ordeal so I won't consider a dress that needs a special bra ( because it won't really work well and I don't want to spend another $75 to hope it works). Also, this is a very modern but orthodox affair so even if I could wear strapless or halter, I wouldn't. I used to be 5'5" :) now probably 5'4". Also I will be 70.

I would really prefer something with at least a cap sleeve, short sleeve even better because while shawls are lovely and could work, I end up fussing with them.

I would prefer to spend less than $250.

We don't go to many formal events, so I would love suggestions for what you would think would be appropriate. I'm really more looking for ideas and of course if someone suggests a really perfect dress all the better, but I just am not sure if I am looking at the right stuff.

Comments (63)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets