SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nexp

Range hood blower dilemma

nexp
10 months ago

We're in the middle of a gut-reno of a kitchen in a very old house. The rangetop is a 36" gas bluestar. The hood will be a 42"x30" Prestige high-capacity mounted 42" (maybe a tad less) above the counter. We have the capability of putting a 90 degree elbow on top, and going straight out the side of the house (about 6 feet). This would be limited to a 6" duct, which would limit to a 600cfm internal blower. This seems low to me, but given the front and side overhang, and the fact that there is a bit of containment area in this hood, along with limited and direct ducting, might work.

Going to a larger duct would require an elbow and a round to rectangular transition to duct down the 2x8 studbay, into the basement, another bend to go across the basement ceiling, and out the foundation wall. This would necesstate (or allow, however you look at it) a 10" equivalent duct, an inline or exterior 1200 cfm blower and maybe a duct silencer). It would also, however, require at least two 90 degree bends, two round to rectangular transitions, and more like 20 ft of duct length. With all that complexity, i imagine the actual cfm through the hood may not be that much greater than the simple approach?

Neither the architect, contractor or HVAC guy are thrilled with this, as its more of a crawlspace than a basement (5' tall) and there's other mechanicals that need to go down there. I suppose the question is, would the 600cfm and simple ducting be sufficient?

Comments (3)