SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

My New Sausage Maker

John Liu
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Every year, my neighborhood has a yard sale. Typically about 50-70 neighbors pay $25 to officially participate and be shown on a map, and others have unofficial sales. Our streets are full of people from all over, there is usually good stuff to be found. When SWMBO and I tipped from wanting “more stuff“ to wanting “less stuff“, which was about 10 years ago, we stopped seriously hunting the sales and now we just walk around a couple of blocks, drop by friends’ sales, etc. Of course, we still end up getting stuff, but do sort of have it under control.

This year, my prize buy was a “used once, like new” sausage maker for $50. This is a stainless steel cylinder stood on end. On top there is a screw press thingy, and somewhere on the bottom you put the sausage casing. It is about 2’ tall.

I don’t know why I bought it. The images of delicious home-made sausages, dried and frozen, made during the plenty of summer, stocked up to sustain us over the long winter of want, when all the grocery stores are fully open and accepting payment for sausage - but you never know, maybe Something Will Happen and then my home-made sausages will be the only thing to eat, and I’ll be able to barter sausages for grand pianos or BMWs - flooded my brain and I found myself handing money to the seller, who happens to be a friend, and probably would have told me why she only used it once, if I’d bothered to wonder.

Anyway, I have this contraption now, and am wondering . . . how do you make sausage? Fresh or dried? Is it possible to poison yourself through incompetence, or can you just willy-nilly grind meat and stuff it into a casing and live to tell the tale? Oh no, do I have to buy a grinding attachment for the Kitchen-Aid, or can I use my food processor? Favorite recipes?

I have vague ideas of making, in addition to tasty sausage, Healthy Sausage. Which means what, I’ve no idea. Something with tofu? DD told me that to use tofu as a meat substitute, you put it through repeated freeze-thaw-drain cycles, to extract water and change its texture. I could try that?

Comments (9)