SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsperkyville

Front Landscape Re-do -- Help!

mrsperkyville
10 months ago

I know there are lots of very talented and knowledgeable people on these forums - hoping one or some might have some help for me.

Having to start over with shade plants after 25 years. What didn’t die from lack of sun died as a result of the ’21 storm. I'm having design paralysis. My dilemma is to provide evergreen structure along the front of my house so I can fill in with perennials, etc. I just can’t figure out what and where.

Existing Details:
- Zone 7b, West facing, North Texas locale, extreme temps, Shade to Part shade as some areas get about 3-5 hrs starting around 11am

• Alkaline soils; Mostly well drained except for North wall of garage which is just slow to dry out (except when temps are 90+)
  • Bur Oaks with downward arching limbs - they need to be pruned
  • Yaupon Holly on the south corner at the entrance, but it was planted too deep when it was moved several years ago and does not get enough sun
  • Dwarf Burford Holly is at North edge of garage, but it blocks our house number from certain angles

My thought was maybe a Needlepoint (Oakleaf) Holly at the NW outside corner about 6 ft from house; an Oakleaf Hydrangea in the NW inside corner by the garage even though it’s deciduous

Other plants that I would like to possibly incorporate are

David Viburnum

Aralia

Soft Caress or Indigo Flair Mahonia

Aspidistra (Cast Iron plant)

Ferns like Autumn Fern, Wood Fern

Distylium like Cinnamon Girl

I will not plant ligustrum or nandina, and would like to avoid dwarf Yaupon as we had them already for over 20yrs.

Also have no idea what to do with the space around the trees as the bed is just a contiguous form.

I could use y'alls help!

FYI - extreme temps example 06/25/23 100F with heat index 118F. And that's sustained for most of the day. Winter can and often does drop below 32F into single digits and below.

Thanks!

Comments (6)