SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Need help with front beds landscape design

weedyacres
11 years ago

We need to up the curb appeal of our house, which we're trying to sell. The inside of the house is completely remodeled and we've got fantastic views to the lake out back, but the front is blah (and drought-stricken) and doesn't match the inside. So we need to take it up a notch, make it look lush and inviting, soften the square-ish brick facade, and make potential buyers eager to see if the inside is as nice as the outside. :-)

Here's the raw material, from several views.

{{gwi:43414}}

{{gwi:43415}}

Here's a drawing of the existing beds.

{{gwi:43416}}

Lamp post bed: 3-year old azalea, some rabbit-eaten asian lillies, and the only petunias that didn't die off in the heat. Thinking about moving the plants and turning this into grass.

{{gwi:43417}}

Left bed: purple coneflowers under the window, purple irises in front of that, an azalea near the sidewalk, dianthus around the front edge and a random mum or aster tossed into the mix.

{{gwi:43418}}

{{gwi:43419}}

Right bed: More coneflowers, a few irises, a couple mums, and dianthus in front border. I'm thinking about enlarging this bed to match the LH one more, and planting a tree in it, then moving the azaleas to be underneath it.

{{gwi:43420}}

{{gwi:43421}}

There are tulips in all the beds as well. House front faces directly east, so has full morning sun.

I haven't yet developed a good design sense for flower beds, though there's certainly stuff that appeals to me more than others. I'd like a design that will appeal through all the seasons, since our house may be on the market for a while and we're heading into fall and winter. If you can help me with size and spacing of things, I think I can get help from a local nursery (or friends with lots of plants they'll let us dig up) with what would be appropriate. Though I'm certainly open to any specific plant suggestions you can provide. We also have lots of boulders of various sizes available.

I love stuff with color, dislike boring green bushes, junipers, and spruce. Would like color through all the seasons. But ultimately we're selling the place, so I'm willing to put stuff in that I don't particularly like if it'll be generally appealing to others. We're in the midwest, zone 6.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (9)