SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eslobode

family room with corner fireplace design help!

Eugene S
11 months ago

Moving into a new multi level home and doing a sizeable remodel, including new flooring.

Attached picture is of the current English basement family room. Carpet is being replaced with light oak LVP (Most likely Flooret Lato Base).

Looking for advice on the following:

1. Keep walls white and paint fireplace (black, dark gray, dark blue, and restain mantle light walnut/oak), or paint room darker and paint fireplace white (currently it’s a poorly white washed paint).

2. Best furniture arrangement. It will be a family room so lots of movie nights, kids and dogs running around. Should I do a sectional with left side apron chaise along wall parallel to fireplace, or right side sectional, with a corner lounge chair and ottoman in “nook” on wall parallel to fireplace and between long side of couch.

The room is bright with windows next to fireplace, and another set of windows against the long wall opposite fireplace. I’ll have recessed lighting installed as well.

I plan to DIY a built in for tv wall with floating cabinets below and above TV for storage.

My style is mid century modern, so enjoy clean lines, streamlined comfy furniture, and good use of pops of color.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)