SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_condie

Which Pendant lights for shaker kitchen?

Laurie Condie
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

We are planning 2 pendant lights in front of window. As you can see our kitchen sink is offset to window. By placing two pendants we are hoping the lights will look more even to window, so basically one centered in front of each window pane.

Our new kitchen will be shaker style in maple wood with a medium brown shade.

Suggestions on pendant style welcomed!

Comments (41)

• J Sk
    10 months ago

Is the fridge going to open how it is shown? And you are ok with different spaces on the left and right side of the window between window casing and cabinets?

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Yes, the kitchen is a copy of what was previously there. We chose not to gut and try to reinvent it. The fridge door cannot be changed to other side either as we would then not be able to get trays out to wash. We know it is not perfect but it works, doesn't bother us as we are used to it. In this older home we are just happy to have a dishwasher!

Now about the pendants in front of window?

• Related Discussions

Which pendant light should I use? pics..

Q

Comments (7)
    We didn't put in under cabinet lighting, so the dim glow from the brown globes has that same "night light" glow to them....very soft, very curvy, I think Italian murano glass when I look at them...but they also look retro to me... DH wants "bright" light and masculine....they have lots of other choices at Lowes for these. I liked the square heavy/1/4" thick white glass ones, but they were small too. They had little blue ones, hat shaped ones,black & white stripes...etc... I appreciate ALL your input.....keep em coming....I need help!!! Here are more pics of the whole kitchen if that helps with the over all feel.....of things. :0) Here is a link that might be useful: Whole kitchen view
    ...See More

Which pendant lights for new build?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you for your advice! I didn't know that lantern was called the Darlana, thank you as it is so beautiful! I like that idea too because I am using lanterns in the front of the house. Do you think I should use the gold or rubbed bronze (or black?) with the chrome faucet and pulls? What types of fixtures coordinate with it? I have been searching Houzz for ideas but am curious what I should use in the formal dining room, breakfast nook, and foyer that will coordinate but not be too matchy matchy with the Darlana?
    ...See More

Which pendant light goes with this chandelier?

Q

Comments (17)
    Make sure your island pendants don’t have too much glare for someone sitting at the island. The style of our lights (different from yours) is the same over the sink and the island. The light over the sink was fine, but the glare was horrible when sitting at the island - no problem when standing around. It never occurred to me this was a potential problem. Fortunately bulbs with covered bottoms - which I had never heard of - solved our issue.
    ...See More

Choosing pendant lighting over kitchen islandw. HELP. Which style?

Q

Comments (7)
    Ok, with an 8ft island, if you want something hanging from a single box with three lights on it I would look at something about 48'' long, especially because what you like is very dainty, so it needs to not fade into the background too much, the dark cabinets will help that. However, lighting is the last thing you should be trying to pick. And I would wait until the cabinets and hood are up before trying to make any calls. Also, what will be hanging over the kitchen table? Lighting is far easier to establish with a more finished product to look at.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO the pendants will just draw attention to the fact that the sink is not centered

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

How wide is the window? I”d try to work out if pendant on right - over sink - could be centered over the sink & spacing still look correct. I think that’s first step in figuring out style or size of pendants. Seems like one pendant - a larger one - centered on window or two pendants - centered in each half of window are the choices. I would want the pendant over the sink to be centered on sink. Thus the question of how wide is window?

• chispa
    10 months ago

I'm not sure I would do any pendants there. Maybe just 2 recessed lights. Not every kitchen needs a pendant. Once you put all your stuff in the kitchen it won't be as bare as the drawing.

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

First picture is single pendant. Second picture is 2 pendants roughed in, one on each half of window. Window is about 48 inches wide. Too Busy?

• chispa
    10 months ago

Is the window as shown ... just one big fixed glass panel?

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Window is two panes of glass (sliders)

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

here it is with a single but wider pendant

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

here is old kitchen so you can see the window

• J Sk
    10 months ago

I think @Patricia Colwell was right. Both options bring attention that faucet is off center. Do you want/need pedants there or you are trying to "comuflage" off center faucet?

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I do not have to have pendants. Is there a better option? I already have pot lights in the main area of kitchen, so was wanting something else, is there is a good option? I agree the pendant seems to really shine on the off center sink. We prefer a ceiling mount.

• J Sk
    10 months ago

Maybe something asymmetrical?

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Eeek on the price tag, plus we are not really into modern. Thanks though

• J Sk
    10 months ago

It doesn't have to be the model, just the idea of something asymmetric. If you want pedants you should do it. It is not going to help to disguise the off center faucet but after awhile people don't notice issues like that.

• Susie .
    10 months ago

I like your mock-up with a single wider pendant. I think it works even with the off center faucet. However, it may not give you a lot of light. You may want to layer in some can lights to help even things out. Another option is a semi flush mount, but I think you will want some can lights also.

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Something like this on a smaller scale? Would something with 3 lights be good lighting in this area?

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

When I look at the single pendant my eye goes right to the not lined up faucet. When I look at the double pendants I see the setting in its entirety - the whole window. It’s a distinct focus difference going from one picture to the other! What about two semi flush lights? Or, maybe with semi flush one window centered light would work. And for style, what about a school house style. Would be great with shaker style cabs. Here’s a link to a school house semi flush. It comes in other finishes School House Semi Flush

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

I didn’t see Susie’s note about the semi flush mount option before posting my same suggestion - but glad to see someone else thinking of it too. Laurie, the mock up of the 3 light option - well - I truly don’t like it! Way too modern & looks like track lighting.

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

So far this is where the recessed lights are (in blue). We will also be having under cabinet lighting. One designer suggested we take center recessed light out and put a matching flush mount light there and then a pendant light over sink. So if we do a semi flush over sink - can we do a semi flush where the center recessed light in blue is, as well?

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Cant seem to find a flush school house light in nickel in canada

• J Sk
    10 months ago

Here is a real life picture of 2 pedants over off center faucet .

• Kendrah
    10 months ago
    • Cant seem to find a flush school house light in nickel in canada

Check out etsy. They have TONS of them.

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

@Laurie Condie Don’t know where in Canada you are but are there no lighting stores you can visit in person? We’ve had stores special order a specific light either for a different finish or a light we found in their catalog in the store but not in stock. That style is such a classic one & the site I found it is a major US retailer. I understand enough of the shipping & customs challenges of buying international to get that a relatively inexpensive item can be priced out of willingness to pay for it. As for changing out center recessed light for a flush mount - I’m not nuts about that idea. I can’t imagine the flush mount putting out the same amount of light the recessed one would. Regardless if you use a semi flush over sink I think I’d stick with recessed in ceiling for all lights. Besides the loss of lighting question, I think it might look too busy. Don’t know what your counters & backsplash plan is but I wouldn’t want attention focused on my ceiling in the kitchen especially if the ceilings aren’t at least 9 feet. Now, if this is an older home & you have an adjoining back mudroom or laundry - I’d absolutely use a matching ceiling light to what’s over the sink in those rooms.

Laurie Condie thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ceilings are 8 foot roughly in kitchen. No mudroom nearby. The only reason I think for the centre flush mount was to even out the lighting in the room. I personally thought with lights under cabinet and one over the sink - seemed a little overkill. Thanks.

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

Thinking about my smallish kitchen lighting lay out but open floorplan so a bit different than enclosed room. I have two pendants over island, under cab lighting 4 recessed following line of workspace on counters as yours do. My sink is in island - no windows in kitchen but are in adjacent dining area. I have a recessed flood over sink in island. All of these lights on different switches so any combo or only 1 can be on. Most important is that under cabinet lights are on dimmer - that is just the best feature!! I highly recommend doing that. If your center light isn’t a recessed then I would definitely want it on its own independent switch. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like the light quality of having overheads on & one of them has a different quality of light. You might get lots of natural light from your lovely large window but I don’t have that. My dining windows face east & north & are in the same room but behind the island so across room from kitchen work area. So, my two things I vote for - dimmers on under cab lights & all recessed lighting for ceiling lights. The sink - 2 pendants or 1 largish semi-flush centered on window. If instead, you do a recessed light, I’d put it over sink & use an LED flood.

Laurie Condie thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

What size in inches should the semi flush mount school house light be for over the sink be?

Window is about 48" across.

• J Sk
    10 months ago

Maybe before you decide on the light over sink, make something temporary, put it on the ceiling and see if you really like it. It might be very problematic since something always going to be off center, either faucet or if you center it on on the window, it isn't going to be centered on the space between cabinets on the left and right side. When we were doing kitchen husband got pedant for over the sink. Electrician installed it and I absolutely hated. It was too much for the space with island near by with pedants over it.

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

There may be a general size for school house style semi flush lights - But, I found this guide below for overhead lighting. Seems like you could calculate & substitute the length & width of space over sink using outside edge of upper cabs as one width point if that makes sense.

A general rule of thumb formula can be used to determine an appropriate diameter for ceiling fixtures. To determine this, measure the length and width of the room. Add those two numbers together and then convert the total into inches. So if your room is 10 feet by 12 feet, the ceiling fixture should be 22 inches wide. However, if you are installing a chandelier or pendant over a dining room table, you must measure the width of the table. Subtract 12 inches from the total width of the table to determine how wide your pendant or chandelier should be.

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

I’d consider a large rattan pendant centered to the window. It would make a feature of the sunlight shining through it and the color would complement your maple cabinets. The off-centered sink will not look odd once your accessories are in place.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 months ago

Whatever you do is going to emphasize the sink being off center.

I'd just do recessed lighting over the sink, and perhaps a close-to-the-ceiling light fixture in the center of the room.

• ci_lantro
    10 months ago

Recessed light/lights over the window. Inexpensive, unobtrusive, don't need to be dusted, totally neutral style, no shade to get broken....

If you have a nice view or just pretty window coverings, no need to make another style statement.

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here is school house semi flush mount

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here is the school house flush mount

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I am now seeing that the above two options still make the sink look off center. The two pendant option or recessed lighting seem to be the best options. Which of these two do you think would be best? Reposting two pendant option (recessed would not show in photo).

Options: Diana's option of recessed over window and semi/flush mount in center of room;

Two pendants over sink and leave center of room recessed light. Thoughts?

• J Sk
    10 months ago

I think Diana's option with recessed light over sink and maybe something nice in the center of the room will be the best option

• rebunky
    10 months ago

If you really would like a pendant, I might do something with color that really draws the eye to it, and so you pretty much ignore the faucet. I don’t know exactly the right style, but something like this where it has three globes that are hung at offset heights?

Then put something in that left corner about the same height as the faucet? Coffee maker?

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

Wow - @rebunky mockup looks really great! A light like that pulls eyes right up there! Would need to check light output. The best for light would be 2 recessed IMO. Because you have that lovely window there, seems light at sink would only be needed at night - or, during those long and dark winter days and nights!

• Laurie Condie
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We are currently looking at this pendant light (will get 2). But I have know idea if you can adjust the length of the rod. It says it is 12" but comes with 18" adjustable rods. So does that mean it can only be hung at those two heights? Here is a mock up of where we would like to hang them height wise so not to block the window much. Each pendant is 60 watts and the size is 5.75" high x 6.75" wide. https://www.lowes.ca/product/pendant-lighting/galaxy-675-in-x-538-in-brushed-nickel-frosted-glass-bell-mini-pendant-light-330588050

• PRO
    Shakuff
    10 months ago

We do custom lighting and I think that our lights would be a great addition in your home. We have many hand blown glass designs and you are able to customize the fixture to fit your aesthetic by having the option to choose your design, the amount of pendants, and the size of the pendants. We can also create a 3D rendering so you can visualize our lighting in your space. Feel free to visit us here for more information.

Our Nava design