SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikesheila_kelly

Kitchen Lighting Help Please!

Sheila Kelly
11 months ago

I'm down to the last bit of planning for my kitchen before we start demo in three weeks and this is the one I've been dreading - lighting! I'm just really ignorant on the subject and the more I read the more confused I get.

The kitchen is 95.88 square foot. 118" long x 117" wide. We currently have two of the old style fluorescent light boxes in the ceiling that have got to go. There is also a can light above the sink that we generally keep on all the time. Above the sink is a 52" wide window that lets in a good amount of natural light and we are removing part of a wall to open the kitchen up to the dining room with another large window.

I'm thinking of going with the canless LED lights that have a night light feature like the one below. I liked the night light as an alternative to keeping the light on over the sink all the time. They come in 3", 4", 6" or 8" but I'm between the 3" and the 4". Below is an overhead view of the kitchen and the blue dots represent where I'm thinking the lights should go. The black lines are just markers for the center of the room - the ceiling will be flat. Cabinets will be going straight up to the wall and we have 8' ceilings.

My questions are:

1. Is 3" or 4" lights better for this space?

2. Does the placement of the lights look correct? It's not completely squared with the room but taking into account that there will be cabinets going all the way to the ceiling I was thinking it somewhat reduced the actual space. The four lights in the center are spaced 36" apart left to right and about 48" top to bottom.

3. Should we do all with the night light option or just the one over the sink?

4. Should they all be on one switch or should the light over the sink be separate?

5. Is the light on the top left necessary? That is a doorway that has the basement stairs to the left and the door to the garage on the right. The stairwell is not very well lit so I was worried about that corner being dark.

6. Should I get a dimmer? If so, what kind do you recommend? I am getting an induction cooktop and I've read some posts about dimmers causing interference with the cooktop and buzzing.

7. I do plan on getting undercabinet lights as well so if you have any recommendations for that I'd greatly appreciate it.

As an added note, I did toy with the idea of putting a pendant light over the sink, but there is only 15" between the top of the window and the ceiling so I wasn't sure if that would look right. Below is a rendering of the space for reference.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give me. I'm completely lost with this whole lighting/electric thing.

Comments (8)