SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snooopy34

I need help lighting kitchen with recessed lights please.

snooopy34
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our contractor suggested the 1st photo and we hired a lighting designer who suggested the 2nd photo. Our contractor doesn't agree with the lighting designer and says he always puts the cans 3 feet from the cabinet walls. Based on reading Gardenweb, I've come across that cans should be at the edge of the inside countertop.

Our ceilings are 8 feet tall and we will have under cabinet lighting. Fridge is at top right, Pantry is at bottom right, and Range is at middle left. Any input will be great!

Green = recessed lights

Blue = Pendant/surface mount sink light

Green wall on right is a double french door to a patio and window in front of sink is 7 feet wide.

Contractor: has recessed lights 3 feet from the wall (12" from counters) with the upper cabinets. I do like that the recessed lights are more uniform.

Lighting Designer : has recessed lights 20 inches from upper cabinet walls, halfway between 15 deep uppers and 25 bottom counters. He suggested that the lights in front of the fridge and pantry be directional and pointed towards the fridge/pantry and would make the room look larger. He also added recessed lights next to the island pendants which I'm not sure is overkill? And lights 12.5" from the wall on either side of the sink.

Me: I put the lighting at the inside counter top where ever there are cabinets. But now I feel like there isn't enough light in the center of the room.

Which is the correct way?

Contractor:

Lighting Designer:
Based on Garden Web:

Comments (2)