SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Chicken Marsala

chloebud
11 months ago

I tried this version and thought it was good. I know it might not appeal to everyone but we really liked the combination of flavors. I shared some tweaks I made following the recipe. This is Chicken Marsala but easy to omit the Marsala and just add more broth (or white wine). Obviously the flavor will be different.

One Skillet Creamy Artichoke Chicken Marsala and Orzo

Recipe from Half Baked Harvest - Serves 4

4 chicken cutlets, or 2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons salted butter
12 ounces (1-2 jars) marinated artichokes, drained
1 shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup dry orzo pasta
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup dry marsala wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour and garlic powder in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken through the flour mix, pressing to adhere.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden, about 3-5 minutes per side. Add 1 tablespoon butter and allow the butter to brown around the chicken, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

3. To the skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the artichokes. Cook undisturbed for 2 minutes or until golden. Add 2 tablespoons butter, the shallots, garlic, thyme, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the orzo. Cook another 2 minutes.

4. Pour in the wine and broth. Cook 10-12 minutes until the orzo is al dente, then pour in the cream. Add the chicken and lemon juice to the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes or until warmed through.

5. Serve the chicken and orzo topped with fresh thyme.

My Notes: The two boneless breasts I had totaled about a pound. I didn’t coat the chicken pieces with flour but did season with s&p and garlic powder. I added about 6 oz. sliced mushrooms with the artichokes. Only added 1/2 tsp. dried thyme that seemed enough. I used about 2/3 cup orzo cutting back on the liquids accordingly by 1/3. Some comments with the recipe on Half Baked Harvest mentioned needing more liquid and/or time for the orzo to cook but that wasn’t my experience.

Comments (15)