SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanhita_mallick

Exploring ADUs vs SB9 subdivision

Sanhita Mallick
11 months ago

I am exploring options for subdividing my property (a single-family home on a corner lot) and building multiple homes and/or ADUs under SB9 or any other local laws in my jurisdiction (City of Campbell, South Bay). I am at the initial exploring stage. I need to figure out financial feasibility, regulatory/permitting aspects, and construction. I wonder if there are pros on this forum who have any initial thoughts about things I need to keep in mind or if there are big issues I am overlooking. I understand the basic regulatory issues (e.g ADUs can't be sold but a new home can be, and SB9 needs a parcel map/additional permits and so on). Doing some initial measurements of my property, I feel the subdivision is doable (.e. there is access, we can meet setbacks, FAR etc.). What type of professional could I ask for an initial consultation to see if this even makes sense? Any insights on these options will be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

Well, lord knows we need more housing in the Bay Area, so i think whether you go the ADU route or the SB-9 route will depend entirely on how much you can afford for construction, and, frankly whether you want to be a landlord with multiple residents/units. I think you're going to have to spend some money upfront on design for both scenarios so you can get more accurate estimates for construction. Then you'll have to do a break-even analysis on the rent you can charge over time vs. the construction cost to see if it's worth it.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    11 months ago

Civil engineer. Real Estate developer. Start by a chat, maybe a few with city planning.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    11 months ago

Personally I would never sell off land and reduce what I own. Yes Building am ADU has costs and there is much to consider and figure out but it’s all still yours.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

IMO we have no clue as to the rules where you live so the first step talk to the town plannning to see what is doable