SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_918119203

Furniture placement in combined dining/kitchen - Banquette?

last year

So I have taken down the wall between my kitchen and dining room and am gutting and redoing my kitchen; the combined space is a total of about 21x14, or 300sf.

My house is an antique and has many attendant quirks, including that the door to what's currently used as the master bedroom is directly off the former dining room/soon to be open breakfast space. I'd like to leave a clear traffic pattern into and out of that room and avoid any crowded feeling between the island stools and the dining seating area.

To address that concern, my current plan was to have a banquette/bench, like the Serena & Lily one below (or a less expensive version...) pushed up close against the back wall. That wall has two double-hung windows, and the banquette would overlap and obscure the bottom molding and probably at least a few inches of the glass (figure 28" high, +/-). I am moving the radiator that's currently under the window to the side as shown in the rudimentary space plan below to accommodate this.

I was then planning to use an oval table (S&L example below). When I'm not entertaining, I was thinking I would have just two chairs at the heads of the table, but leave the side opposite the banquette open. On a daily basis, it's just me eating here and I would likely sit on the banquette. When entertaining, I would add additional chairs opposite the banquette/bench.

Will it look weird to have no chairs on one side of the table? Is pushing the table out of the center of the room odd? Will having the banquette/bench partially block the windows be strange? Should I consider having a custom banquette with a lower back built instead? I would expect once I had cushions made, it may be even more expensive than even the S&L option (figure $2.5k for the carpentry alone, maybe $1k for fabric and upholstery), plus it's a more permanent commitment than furniture. But there are many cheaper options than the S&L - Ballard has a very similar bench for about half the price (but it's not made in USA), and there are good non-upholstered options in the $1000-2000 range, like Windsor-back benches (though the whole point of a banquette is for it to be comfy).

I briefly considered pushing the banquette into one of the corners and having an L or U shaped banquette, but I think that will look weird, the slight bumpout on this drawing is actually a structural post that has to stay, and there is going to be a relocated radiator in the other corner. So I think centered in the room is going to have to work.

(You can scream at me about the electrical plan or kitchen layout in general, but this plan is not the most recent version and none of that is relevant to my question.)

Comments (4)