SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Noodles

chloebud
last year

Nothing really new but hit the spot last night. I halved the recipe to try for just the two of us. I found it worked well with less pasta and more liquid. I added my notes following the recipe. If it appeals, this is pretty much broccoli cheese soup in casserole form with some chicken. Comfort stuff and DH has asked for a repeat.☺️

Broccoli Cheddar Chicken and Noodle Casserole (From Half Baked Harvest - Serves 6)

1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3/4 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 tsp. garlic powder
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 T. butter
2 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1 pound short cut pasta (I used penne)
3 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 425°.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add the butter, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne, and cook until golden and toasted, 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the broth and milk. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add the pasta and broccoli and season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently until the pasta is al dente and the broth has been absorbed, about 8-10 minutes.

4. Stir in 1 cup of cheese. If needed, transfer everything to an oven-safe casserole dish. Scatter the remaining cheese over top of the casserole.

5. Bake 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Serve warm with additional thyme and fresh basil.

My Notes: I removed the carrots and onion to sear the chicken, then added them back in. Be sure to season well as you go. I added the broccoli in Step 2 with the butter, thyme, etc. She’s a little unclear about the cheese in Step 4. I would add all the Parmesan and enough Cheddar (I used extra sharp) to equal 1 cup. Use the remaining Cheddar on top. I found about 5 oz. of pasta (penne for me) was plenty for a HALF recipe. Maybe 8-10 oz. for a FULL recipe…your choice. See what you think after adding the liquid. I could see more was needed even before adding the pasta. I probably added a full 2 cups broth for my Half version and maybe a cup of milk. Also, 400 seemed good for the baking time in my oven.

Comments (2)