SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svanflicka

Kitchen Refresh Help Needed - Existing Creamy Woodwork is Bossy

svanflicka
last year

Hi all!

I posted recently about our kitchen refresh project and have some updates. It would be great if you can share your thoughts.

I really covet a brighter, fresher looking space after 16 years with a red kitchen with dark countertops and antique-glazed cream colored cabinets.

I'm working with a pair of designers to change up the colors, finishes, and hardware in the kitchen as well as the living room color, flooring, and furniture.

One pain point is the existing woodwork throughout our home is a creamy white - BM Vanilla Ice Cream. Changing the woodwork color would cost $20K - $25K - whole house. While this color worked well with the BM historical colors on our walls, it's a bit of a problem with the marble-look quartz counters I love.

The designers recommended a quartz for the counters - Calacatta Lucia by Trends in Quartz. It has grays and warm brown tones in it. They think it's best not to paint the kitchen cabinets a brighter white due to the creamy woodwork. Instead, they're recommending painting the cabinets either the same color as the existing woodwork - BM Vanilla Ice Cream or SW Balanced Beige. The Balanced Beige matches some of the veining in the quartz very well. The cabinet color can be repeated in the adjacent living room board -and-batten wainscoting that will be added.

The island will be a dark greenish gray color. Not sure what the color is. Our floors will be replaced with white oak stained in a medium brown shade/matte finish. A wood range hood will be stained to coordinate with the floors, and a new rustic mantel will be added to the fireplace in the living room in a similar stain color.

I'm going for a classic/traditional look with a nod to French/European influences.

To tie the warm and cooler tones together, they're recommending Calacatta Gold marble for the backsplash - not necessarily in the pattern shown below, but with the mix of warm and cool tones.

I recently read through a post about a similar issue with the warm and cool tones, and there was a lot of good advice.

What are your thoughts about the color for the cabinets and walls? I thought I wanted a brighter kitchen but I'm leaning toward SW Balanced Beige for the cabinets in order to avoid a potential clash between the BM Vanilla Ice Cream shade and the countertops. But I wonder if I'll later regret painting the cabinets beige.

Does the Vanilla Ice Cream color work with the quartz, backsplash, and SW Balanced Beige?

Comments (16)