SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svanflicka

Kitchen Refresh - Back to the Drawing Board - Need Inspiration

svanflicka
last year

Hi all,

I'm planning a kitchen refresh that includes repainting the walls, cabinets, and island, and new white oak hardwood flooring, countertops/sink, hardware, lighting, and stools/dining chairs.

Based on feedback here and my study of Maria Killam's paint color coordination tips and neutral color wheel, I realized that our current creamy white woodwork is controlling everything. The woodwork is painted BM Vanilla Ice Cream, and it's clashing with some of the cooler marble backsplash and quartz styles I like.

We're working with some designers who found a beautiful calacatta gold marble that ties warm and cool colors but I'm still not loving our creamy woodwork in the mix even though it could work with the backsplash. So I decided to just plan to have all the woodwork repainted so we can truly have freedom to choose elements we love.

Anyway, I'm now back at the drawing board. Our designers are great, and we love elements they've already presented to us such as a medium brown, toned stain for the floors and range hood, greenish gray island paint color, and a marble backsplash with a quartz countertop that is patterned like marble. The walls or cabinets were to be painted SW Bslanced Beige. I was leaning toward whiter cabinets but again....the creamy colored woodwork wouldn't have that.

Since the woodwork paint color will no longer dictate our design choices, I'd like to consider new options for the paint colors, countertop quartz, and marble backsplash. The designers are working on this too; however, any inspiration I can provide them helps them capture the style that we're going for.

Would appreciate your thoughts about sources of inspiration I could tap into. I'm going for a traditional/classic/timeless look that we'll love for many years to come. I don't mind a nod to old French/European style (but not overly country). I love marble for the backsplash and quartz that looks like marble, but I'm unsure about the specific color/style. Also, what color families would work for the woodwork, cabinets, and walls?

We're updating the adjacent living room to which the kitchen opens as well. It will be repainted and have the same medium brown stained white oak floors, a fireplace that will be over-mortared, and board-and-batten wainscoting in a coordinating color.

Do you have any suggestions or sources of inspiration that could help me find my style preferences?

I was thinking about white cabinetry but I recently read that whole white kitchens are classic, they're falling a bit out of favor now because they've been prevalent and people are wanting more color in their kitchens.

Thanks!

Comments (15)