SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillmytable

Help with Outdoor Entry Light Finish and Placement Height

Mara S.
last year

I've loved the Quoizel Newbury Wall Lanterns for the past 30 years. I bought my home in the 90s and couldn't afford them then, so I enjoyed them vicariously via my neighbor's house across the street (they had the 20" 2-light style with the brass finish). When the neighbors changed their lights, I knew it was time to get my own.

While I still love the elegance of the brass look, I considered a bronze finish to compliment my chocolate brown roof, mainly because of its low maintenance (that is, it wouldn't require constant repainting in later years like my current brass fixtures). However, Quoizel's Medici Brown appears almost black. Black still seems to be popular for lights, but it doesn't seem to do much for my existing color scheme, which I love. Yet I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking for help selecting the right finish. As far as size, I'm going with the 20" (2-light) lantern.

Color Scheme: The roof color is Hickory by GAF (Timberline high-def). The shutters and door are a blue-grey (it's close to McCormick's Potomac-235.) The siding and garage are an almond color from the 90s. The alcove is a light cream (a color error) which I plan to correct.

Backplate/Height Issue: I just realized there's an installation issue. The current fixture is a torchlight design with the long handle; the light itself is positioned toward the upper part of the backplate. As far as installation, the backplate's midpoint is about 14" from the top of the alcove. (The alcove is approximately 85" in height. ) If I install the new lamp in the same location, it will hang too low (about 7-8 inches) because the lamp itself extends well below the backplate. Thoughts and suggestions on the best placement height and cost-effective installation (that won't require extensive brick work) would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (4)