SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahpoli

Need help in basement design-placement of LED lights, bathroom design

Leah
2 years ago

Hi,

I had been using HOUZZ for years, and found it very useful in redesigning my kitchen 6 years ago, as well as other design dilemmas.

We are in the process of renovating our basement in older (1978) built house in Ontario, Canada. Basement was finished by previous owners, but it was very dark, and we had never used it, except for storage.

We removed all drywall from the walls and ceiling, except from the library. Library was finished in dark oak solid wood panelling, and has a wall of build-in cabinets.

There are only 2 windows in the basement, both are in the library. Other rooms do not have any natural light. Ceiling is 7 feet high.

There is a support beam going from the stairs all the way to the back wall of the family room, and next to the beam are HVAC ducts, and all was enclosed in 42" wide soffit, 12" high. There is not much we can do with it, so it will stay.

Originally we had a tiny 2 piece bathroom. We would like to enlarge it, and make it a 3 piece - small vanity with sink, toilet, and shower.

I bought 4" LED recessed lights, 750 Lumens, 90 degree light distribution. I can also change temperature of there lights, and they are dimmable.

I finished recessed light layout in the Office and the Library. The family room and the soffit plan are not finished. I used Home Designer Pro to do the layout.

I used recommendations that I read in different articles on lighting layout, and after I was finished light layout for those 2 rooms, I am afraid that it will be too much light, and basement will be lit like a stadium.

All walls will be light - white or off white (except the library), and we will install lighter Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring.

I the family room almost entire back wall is floor to ceiling natural brick wood burning fireplace, and it is staying.

We intend to use the office as an office or a guest bedroom for occasional guests. We have no plans for family room use as of now - we are retired, children moved out and we have enough space upstairs.

I am also struggling with bathroom design. I would like to have a comfortable bathroom for occasional use. There is a 6" drain pipe in the middle of the bathroom wall, and because of it I had to make shower 48" wide by 34" deep.

If any of you have any suggestions re recessed lights layout and /or bathroom design, I would really appreciate them.

Attached is my plan.

Thanks in advance.

Leah

Comments (5)