SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawn_m9

living room and dining room (modern coastal/boho) design needed

last year

I just moved into a new home, near the beach, and need to update the living room and dining room. We plan to paint the kitchen cabinets (likely white) and replace the granite with white quartz later this year.

With that in mind, I would like the space to feel very light. Even with the white walls it just feels SO dark. Since we have some fun art pieces I feel like a bright boho style might work better than coastal. I love the dark blue and green velvet sofas BUT we have a white dog that lays on the sofa so I am leaning towards a more neutral sofa color (maybe a linen or light gray). I also dislike the floor color but we replaced the bedrooms to match as we were making some decisions before moving to the house. It's a regret as I wish we had replaced the entire house with a different color so now we have to live with them. I have seen some very light (white, cream, blue) rugs that make the floors look more tolerable.

The tv stand was recently purchased and I have a few art pieces in mind. We have a local wood map that is sitting on the tv stand which I plan to hang. Currently considering some baskets to hang with it but not sure. I also plan to put a surfboard on the other side with a tide clock to add height. We plan to keep the recliner and end table as they are relatively new.

Another thing is we'd like to update the mantel as well to something that feels lighter and more modern and also add more height to that space. The ceiling fan will be replaced with a white fan and considering a coastal pendant light for the dining room.

I have considered restaining the current table a lighter color for the dining room and adding modern chairs. OR replacing the table with a (white) tulip table with modern chairs or two chairs and a bench as an option.

Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as I feel like I know what I want but can't quite put it together. We are in an area where everything is very coastal/farmhouse which I don't love so it's all these white slipcovered sofas that you find in stores.

Comments (4)