SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Need your thoughts- time for my master bath redo

salonva
last year

I would love your help on this.

It is now time to work on our master bathroom. It was time when we moved in 4 years ago but it's really time now. I have not really gotten any good ideas as yet .

I am sharing photos so you can see what it looks like now. I know the paint is horrible, but it was freshly painted before we bought it, and I honestly thought why bother painting if I am going to rip it all up? Well I probably should have painted way back when because you can see the color is really awful.

Well, it's really a lot worse in person. The shower is not only way too small, but it's in bad shape. The tub is a whirlpool tub, also probably about 25 or 30 years old and the jets are really gross.

I am torn with the tub; whether to replace with a freestanding tub, or just really forget the tub. I am inclined to nix the tub because I think it might be a bit more roomy .

This is upstairs, and we do have another full bath with tub /shower in the hallway upstairs.

Originally I thought to just replace like with like, and expand the shower. That is still an option (but everything needs to be replaced, and it just doesn't seem to be space used wisely.

Not sure how many photos I can share in this post, so I will try to post the rough sketch of the dimensions first for your viewing pleasure,

I will post photos of the room and follow with my questions.

Wow I am shocked it seems most of the photos came through....

Will post my questions and thoughts in the next post.

Comments (57)

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just deleted my comment as I had questions about the windows.

Just a thought. You can keep the windows looking like windows from the outside, but seal and sheetrock from the inside.

We did this for a third bathroom that was actually part our garage. The window was not practical for the bathroom.

The window from the left can be sealed off completely. The other maybe partially. No experience with that.

I would do a large built in linen closet where the shower is.

Here is what we did with a space that had a vanity area.

salonva thanked eld6161
  • eld6161
    last year

Other options. I agree to expand the shower. Remove the tub do built-in cabinets to hold towels, bath supplier etc.

salonva thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

My Daughter's Master Bath Redo

Q

Comments (17)
    You're welcome, Pixe1. That's nice to hear! Thank you, itltrot. Katie, thanks! The vanity is very well made. Nice and heavy. Nothing was or is coming apart. The shelves and drawers are well made. All are soft close and no problem. If you read the article, the counter comes attached with sinks to the vanity. But the backsplash piece is on top. You would think something wrapped in 50 sheets of foam encased in hardwood on all but one side would not break! Original was broken, replacement was broken, next one wasn't broken but was only 48" then finally the right size unbroken. It was ordered from Vintage Tile & Bath and their customer service could not have been more helpful getting the replacements sent. It was delivered, unwrapped for me to inspect (DD2 was at work) and signed for with a note about the backsplash. Hoped this helped.
    ...See More

your help is requested for my master bath pix

Q

Comments (11)
    Well I still haven't figured out the ceiling light. (and while I would love a fan like that -- it wouldnt work in my bathroom. but it is really really nice.) So aside from the ceiling lights, can we disuss the dreaded paint subject? The room gets tons of light. It is with my master bedroom which is painted a BM color from before they had names...(but hey it still looks great and I still like it.) it's a deep blue sort of similar to whipple blue? I just selected yosemite sand to paint the upstairs hall bathroom and it looks lovely. So any and all suggestions or revelations for me?
    ...See More

Honest thoughts on cultured marble in a master bath reno??

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow! Thank you all for responding. You gave me a lot to think about :) awm03- your vanity is beautiful!!! I love that! beverly- is that your bathroom? Gorgeous!! I also am not fond of the ogee edge, gsciencechick. Yours looks great! lol- I still don't know what to do! Looks like I need to price it all out. Another reason I like integrated sinks is bc honestly, that's one less thing to buy, or 2 in my case bc we have a duel vanity. So not only is sold surface more $$$$ but I would need to add on an extra ~$400 for undermount sinks.
    ...See More

Redoing Master Bath with closets

Q

Comments (19)
    I met with a designer today about the whole house and she gave me some good ideas. For the bathroom we discussed a number of options. Of all the things we talked about the bathroom was the most challenging one. The kitchen (which I had thought to be more difficult) was much easier to deal with. The option that had the most appeal to me: Turn the hall closet and part of the office closet (secondary bedroom "beneath" the master) to open into the master and be one closet. That would become DH's closet. He doesn't need a lot of space and could manage with a good closet system. This would have the virtue of leaving a small closet in my office so that remains a secondary bedroom with a closet. Alternative to above - Take both closets (hall and in my office) and make a larger closet opening into master for DH. That gives him a good sized closet but leaves my office without a closet. If and when we would ever sell the house if we felt we needed a closet in that room then we could revert to 1. and put a small closet in that room. I like this idea as this is a retirement home for us that we don't plan to sell. In the bathroom, the closet in the upper left corner goes away. That area becomes a large corner shower, extending a bit into where the tub is now. The vanity extends to the wall where the toilet is now. Possibly put in a small linen cabinet. The toilet is put into where the shower is now. That is about 38" wide and 4' long. That would be fine for the toilet but doesn't leave room for the litter box. My closet extends to take up most of the space now occupied by the tub. No, it wouldn't be long enough to have clothes hung on both sides. But I would have one long side that I could double hang clothes. The door would open to the long side. The toilet room could then be extended a bit (for the litter pan). I would lose one side of hanging space in the existing closet. But, right now the closet is very cramped as it really isn't wide enough to support hanging on 2 sides. If the shower encroached a foot into the tub, I would end up having a closet that was about 10' long. If it encroached 2' then I would have 9'. At the end of the closet (the existing closet I would put some shelving. I think this would solve most of the problems. I would get a long enough vanity and toilet room. The corner shower would be a nice size. My closet would work for me. In my prior house I had about 11' of hanging space and didn't use all of the upper space. I might even get a narrow linen cabinet. To make this work, the skylight would have to go away. That seems to be the lesser of evils. I could potentially put in a high window in the shower as it would be on outside walls. I haven't drawn this out (as I am terrible at doing that) but it seemed to make a lot of sense. Of course, it only really works with adding the closet for DH to the master. But that is a relatively easy thing to do.
    ...See More
  • salonva
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a floor plan for the 2nd floor. Sorry I can't seem to get it clearer.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

My 1970s bathroom had a weird dead space box built at the end of a shower as well. Oh and one at the end of a tub too. In both cases I recaptured that space, moved plumbing a little, and ended up with bigger shower and tub.

Can you move the doors into the bathroom at all? Also, how feasible is it to move plumbing? That can be really limiting if you need to keep it in the same position. If you moved the door either way along the wall, potentially you could put a vanity along that long wall against the bedroom. Then that would leave you more room to move the shower and/or tub around.

salonva thanked pricklypearcactus
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I might expand the shower, then move the toilet into a w/c or behind a knee wall where the tub was.

I would not give up or alter or hide the existing windows. You could put wooden shutters onthe bottomr half of the window for privacy

salonva thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • localeater
    last year

Love the knee wall where the tub idea. Why arent you expanding you closet?

salonva thanked localeater
  • roarah
    last year

What is below the room? moving a toilet means adding a plumbing stack below.

salonva thanked roarah
  • salonva
    Original Author
    last year

So I do like the idea of moving the toilet to where the tub is currently. I hope to find out what that would entail ($$ wise). I was iniitially told that it should be doable.

I don't need to expand the closets. I had originally thought about taking the closet space for the shower but I would rather leave the closets as is. There is also a linen closet in the hall bath so there are 3 linen closets ( of varying size) upstairs.

Localeater- in the rendition you have , you have the vanity under the window which could work, but I can't visualzie if it will look strange or how to pull it off wihtout it looking strange. That window is high enough to accomodate a vanity or vanity height cabinet.

Prickly, I don't know about moving the doors, but I think I could definitely eliminate one door and that thought about having a vanity there has crossed my mind. If not another vanity, I could see a tall cabinet like eld showed there ..

I am appreciating your comments. At least I am hearing that nixing the tub is a fine idea.

• jb1586
    last year

Our old 1980’s master bath layout was not quite like yours, but we also had a jacuzzi, which we replaced with a large two person shower, and just love it! The old shower was tiny, and we put the toilet in that corner. Where the toilet had originally been, we had a custom built linen closet installed. We are not at our home currently, or I would attach photos.

salonva thanked jb1586
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I think switching a toilet for where the tub is won't be too bad, since you already have a pipe there, albeit a narrower one. I might rotate the toilet 90 degrees in Local's plan

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

That would be great, but the issue is the windows and it's the frton of the house so I cant move the shower there.

Roarah - below the bath is the garage.

If I could find a visual of a vanity partially under a window...

• Allison0704
    last year

Various ideas: If you move the new single door/bathroom entrance towards the exterior wall, the sightline from bedroom will be out the window. Linen/storage cabinet in current sink location. The cabinets could continue underneath the window with a vanity/bench. Or you could use an armoire.

Shower expanded into deadspace and closet(s). Toilet stays where it is (can add ponywall, if desired).

New vanity on door wall where current doors are located. Shower entrance would be centered, more or less.

Keep all the windows.

ETA: The shower entrance side does not necessarily have to be all glass. In our last house, we moved the bathroom entrrance 12" so the view from bedroom was back of shower/left to closet/right into bathroom. One ned of the shower exterrior was sheetrock, and the double vanity ran to that wall. We only had a glass door (no glass walls).

salonva thanked Allison0704
  • jojoco
    last year

I would consider putting the vanity in front of the window and do something like this:

I would not do barn rails, but I would frame mirrors on either side of the window.

I would think about taking the existing shower area and making it a smidge bigger and putting the toilet in there, with a door.

You could perhaps do a longer, thin shower like this where the vanity and toilet currently are located.

My best advice is to find some inspiration photos to use as a starting point.

This is going to be fun! Can't wait to see what you do!

salonva thanked jojoco
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I don't think there really is an either side of the window, or am i looking at it wrong? Isnt the only window with room on either side, the one over the tub? Which is too low for a vanity?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Various ideas: If you move the new single door/bathroom entrance towards the exterior wall, the sightline from bedroom will be out the window.

Agreed; unless you really like the double doors and the sightline, they are using up useful space for your layout, both in the MBA and the MBR.

• arcy_gw
    last year

What's your budget? Moving a toilet is no small deal. Plumbing has to stay as is 99% of the time. Especially the toilet/sewer stack. If you are not a person who finds value in a private all my own bathtub spa night regularly, then I would take it out. Spending the money to update it seems like a budget buster just so you have a show piece tub no one but you will ever see. Since swapping it for the shower is out due to the windows, use that space for a larger vanity--it looks like you could use more counterspace. Or maybe now you have room for a his and hers vanity? I suppose windows/mirror issues will ensue. Maybe you could make the inside 'window' glass fit with a mirror? Where the current sink is maybe a nice linen closet? Pony walls and water closets are a huge waste of footage in a bathroom. Hopefully with the door open you aren't looking at the toilet!

salonva thanked arcy_gw
  • Allison0704
    last year

Agree on the toilet, but sometmes it is worth the trouble and expense. We swapped MBR closet and bathroom in our last house. Only issue was the plumbing vent stack wall has to be deep enough for the 4" pipe.

Also, it is usualy not the best idea to locate plumbing on an outside wall, but since you are remodeling, you can insulate better. We still avoid whenever possible.

• eld6161
    last year

The easiest would be to expand your shower to the largest it can be. Then add a beautiful free standing tub.

In my opinion, the only thing worth investing in is to make the shower larger.

No need to move plumbing.

It’s a nice size bathroom.

Side story: there are things here in my Florida home take don’t make sense. My great room has three different style windows!

What were your builders thinking putting those two large mismatched windows in a master bath?

salonva thanked eld6161
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I think there are 1000 possibilities, and especially with the tub gone, the room will have plenty of space. One big question is budget...do you have the $$ to move facilities around with plumbing changes which do get expensive.

But the primary question is how do you use the room, what functions do you want and need. How do you see using the space? What needs/dreams are not being met? What do you like best about it?

For example, do you want/need double sinks? Is the vanity surface large enough for your needs? Would you like a vanity area for make up? Do you need more privacy around the toilet? How large do you want the shower? Do you want a seat in the shower? Rainhead? Handheld? Do you want a bench or chair for drying your feet after the shower? Do you want a steam shower? Do you want to consider accessibility such as having turning space in front of the pot for wheel chair? Door width to get into the bathroom? Do you have adequate storage for linens and toiletries? Do you open the windows? Do you want a heated towel bar? Heated tile floors? Do you need double doors into the space? Are you willing to move the door? If you move the door, will it affect furniture arrangement in your bedroom?

For example, I wanted lots of glass to see natural light when I'm in the shower so I wouldn't be happy with it in that nook. That 40" is plenty of space to put the pot in there though and make it more like a water closet.

But I think you need to answer the big questions first and then it'll be easier to figure out how best to put those specific functions into the space.

salonva thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • salonva
    Original Author
    last year

I am going to try to respond to each of the posts. Thank you for taking the time to help.

I have to read some of them more than once to really get the wisdom being offered.

Maybe some additional background.

The current vanity is 50 inches with the 2 sinks. It is crowded which is why I think a larger vanity would be better . To be totally honest, I don't care about the 2 sinks. In our last house, we had a large master bathroom with 2 vanities with sinks on either end of a dressing area . It was quite spacious, but we both use the same sink all the time. I never used the dressing table either. I know that wisdom seems to say double vanity for resale so I'm fine with double vanity.

Several have mentioned the sight line into the bathroom. It never occurred to me (guess it would bother me if it opened to the toilet). I am considering your comments, because as I say, I never thought of it but since it;s been mentioned more than once.... maybe you have a point. I don't find looking at the vanity (especially if it's going to be more attractive than what's there now) unpleasant. I think the only way to improve that would be Alison's suggestion to move the door opening towards the exterior wall which would give a nice wall to the left of the entry in the bathroom.. The toilet would stay where it is. I guess a larger vanity could continue where it is, or go on the new space to the left of the door....

Jojo- I have been trying to find inspiration photos . One thing to point out is that the higher up window that you see when you enter is at the end, and the images I find with vanities usually has the window in the middle. I'd like that shower in your picture, but kind of where the shower currently is.

Mtn, you are right about the window locations. The one in the front of the house is too low for anything . It could hold a bench or something like that but I'm not sure about building something in. Good points about the wall space with the doors.

Arcy- Yes thankfully not looking at the toilet! We do need counterspace and better storage. I really do have enough storage in this house but it's never a negative to have storage. The room really needs more than a refresh. It was a very well maintained house when we bought it ( there was a little old lady living there) but it's close to 30 years old and it's served its time.

As far as budget.....of course I want to spend the least and get the most. I want to spend it wisely. We'd like to enjoy it so that's key but we do think for resale. We are both very able bodied but the bedrooms and full baths are all upstairs and we recognize that this is probably not going to be our last home. ( I am approaching 70 and DH is 73).

It's in a very nice desirable area, but again it is a townhome. I know nothing re plumbing, but someone who was doing other work at the house a year or so ago indicated that the stack (whatever) is fine and would work to move the toilet.. I know I haven't asnswered teh money question but I also haven't gotten any real estimates to know .

I don't want to make the bestest ever but I want it to be very improved and worth the time money and effort.

Alison- I thought the same about toilet near exterior wall, but I think if it is back against the wall to the bedroom, that should be ok? I obviously need to get an idea of what moving it will cost.

Eld- yes, I come back to the notion of just expanding the shower and replacing like with like (but yes a freestanding tub in this case). The issue then is that it doesn't seem to work with getting a larger vanity . And yes, those dumb windows. Especially the one next to the vanity . so stooopid. I guess they thought cross ventilation.

Annie, Ha obviously, living with that bathroom for 4 years tells you that we are not too demanding :). We'd like it to be new and improved functional and attractive. Probably a small ledge in the shower, definitely the grab bars and all safety issues.

I do have someone supposedly coming by in the next 2 weeks, and I will call a few more.

I have reached out to 3 who are either too busy or too far and not interested. I was disappointed but at least I;m not getting strung along.

If I can narrow down what I want, it will help me so much and you've all been so helpful

• Allison0704
    last year

Alison- I thought the same about toilet near exterior wall, but I think if it is back against the wall to the bedroom, that should be ok? I obviously need to get an idea of what moving it will cost.

My initial suggestions did not move the toilet. I only mentioned moving in my next post since others were suggesting. IMHO, leaving it where it is keeps it out of the sight line, saves money by not moving and supply lines to toilets rarely freeze. This also leaves the bedroom wall free for a large vanity (personally, I think two sinks are better for resell).

One thing to consider, if you were to move the toilet to the bedroom wall, if it is flushed during the night, it will be louder for the person still sleeping. In our last house, where we swapped closet with bathroom, the toilet was on the bedroom wall and was louder.

The reason I suggested a freestanding armoire for storage is you can take it with you when you leave. One was left in our current MBath (no closet), and it will be going with us if/when we move again. It hold so much and it is easy to get what's needed. Plus I really like the look of it, rather than more cabinets. I could also cost less than cabinets.

Glad everyone's suggestions have you thinking. It's always better to think and talk it out, ending up with a bathroom that gives you the most for your money and space.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I would not put the toilet back against the bedroom wall due to noise issues if someone should flush in the night.

In terms of budget, you don't need a specific number -- and you certainly don't have to tell us...but there's a world of difference between say, 10k and 30k and 50k. Or even an estimate in your own mind as to is it worth it, such as: Is it worth $5k to move the toilet? Is it worth $2k to get underfloor heating? Of course everyone wants to get the most for least. And when it comes to a remodel like this, it's not "spending" as much as it's also investing into the home and you should get most if not all of it back on resale provided you aren't doing anything crazy like gold-plated faucets!

• Allison0704
    last year

Awww, Annie! Don't crush her six thousand dollar dream!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

We added extra insulation and soundproofing to our bedroom walls when we had them open; always a good idea. I think plumbing noise can be addressed in that manner.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want either a kneewall or a W/C if they have the space... you might even be able to fit a W/c with a small sink.

OTOH, I think the only must have in a MBA (since you have a tub elsewhere) is 2 sinks.

I think you would recoup a lot of the expense, but probably not the expense of moving fixtures.

• Allison0704
    last year

We did that too, Mtn. It is still louder than if toilet was not on shared wall.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

That's too bad. I suppose there is a confluence of factors that can impact the noise level. I'm very picky about it ever since we live in a new-build rental and you could hear water running everywhere across a 6br house. As if you were standing next to a stream! It was crazy.

• eld6161
    last year

I personally don't think a double sink vanity is a deal breaker. We could have added one when we remodeled

We like privacy so we have never and will never be in the space at the same time.

Most homes have a second or third bathroom. Why share?.

Plenty of room to the right. This is a custom vanity built to match the custom linen closet so we had options.

How much do you need to actually store in your vanity? The one you have looks big enough if you change it out to drawers.

salonva thanked eld6161
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

That may be true for them but for resale, the next buyers might not be just a couple. Most couples who share a BA want their own sinks

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

We added extra insulation and the toilet flushing is still too loud for me.

While there's only 2 of us, it seems, even in retirement, we're both wanting to use bathroom sinks at the same time, so 2 sinks would be a must for us.

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

I'm pretty sure I want the 2 sinks even though we are more like Eld where we only use the one.

I think a key piece for me will be the cost of moving the toilet ( and feasability) and doors and extra cabinetry whatever , compared with cost of installing a new tub.

We don't "need" additional storage but it's always a good thing. I should mention that the narrow linen closet in our bedroom that backs up to the shower, is used mostly for my sweaters, as well as gym gear and overflow of paper goods. It all gets used. ). When I say I want a bigger vanity much of it is for counterspace.

I obviously didn't clean up above to take the photos but Eld might be right, if there drawer and more usable space to store things it might not seem so cramped.

This has all been so helpful.

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

oh and I forgot to add- I;m only so so on the knee wall for the toilet . I forgot that in our last house which we had built in 1990 one of the obnoxious things we couldn't anticipate was that when you were sitting in the family room on the couch, and the master toilet was flushed, it was like right in your head. It didn't happen all that often as we don't tend to hang out upstairs much, but it was entertaining.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I just went to make a scale drawing of the bathroom and something is screwed up on the measurements. The floor plan shows the walls where the shower is are even, but if I add up the dimensions going across, they don't match.

Back wall is 41+60+38=139" Front wall is 45+54+48=147".

Same with the depth. The left wall: 26+40+20=86 Right wall 41+42+38=121.

If you get me better dimensions, I'll be able to play better.

• Eileen
    last year

I don't think you need to rearrange everything. Sometimes we get caught up in pretty photos and want all those nice things in $100,000 bathrooms, but you can do nice without going to the expense of unnecessary structural changes.

I don't believe in going through additional expenses to please some future buyer. It's not hard to change a vanity to two sinks if they need two. Like you, we have a second bathroom just steps away from the master bedroom. We changed our double sink MB vanity to a single sink so that we could have more counter space and storage. We each have our own bathroom now, which is much better than each having our own sink. The plumbing is still there if a future buyer wants to go back to two sinks.

I would extend the shower and take some space from the bedroom closet. The bedroom closet could be open shelves or shallow storage. I'd do a tiled half wall for the shower alongside the toilet instead of having a glass shower door next to the toilet. You can move the shower controls to the other side so you don't have to reach in over the toilet. We moved ours because of the toilet. The plumber added piping along the back wall.

With the windows in the tub space, it's a natural for a nice tub, either built in or free-standing, so I would update that area with new tile and tub.

salonva thanked Eileen
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

It sounds like the only things that really bother you about the bathroom are the vanity layout and the size of the shower. If you have deadspace, it seems easily fixed. So just fix those things. Those will also have the most bang for the buck. Oddly, replacing the tub might be the least expensive option, even if you don't use it. You can find very reasonably priced freestanding tubs.

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

oh Annie! I think I had trouble reading my own handwriting.... and also, figuring out the shower wall is where I got confused. The inside of the shower is 31 by 40 but that full depth where the shower is is 39 inches. How RED is my face??

so each side should be

39+45+54+45=183 for door wall

39+41+60+43=183 for vanity wall

24+42+20=86 window wall

26+40+20=80 shower wall

Not to scale obviously but the right measurements

I can tell you some good stories about how well I measure. Thank you for your patience

• Lyban zone 4
    last year

Salonva,

I dont think i would soend the extra $$ to move the toilet.

i would expand your shower to use that dead space and also use the whole depth of 39 inches instead of the 31 it is using now..

then i would take out your tub and put a storage bench underneath the window so that you can sit if needed to dry off and also have extra storage . something like my photo.

salonva thanked Lyban zone 4
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I keep picturing moving the door down toward the outside wall and putting a luscious chair in the corner between the windows, then having the rest of the bathroom to your left.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Here's what I came up with. I'm assuming that deadspace is a chase way that can't be utilized...

Plusses: larger shower with built-in bench and handheld, more toilet privacy, larger vanity, larger closet, seat for drying feet, access to windows without crawling into the tub.

Minuses: cost of moving toilet, toilet on bedroom wall makes for loud flushing.

Options: change door so closet opens to bathroom instead of bedroom; make closet a little smaller and add storage by the pot; door can swing into bathroom either way; I drew a 72" vanity but you have room for a bit larger one; I added the heated towel bar which for me is just a little bit of heaven on earth...YMMV. I'm presuming underfloor heating which is also just another bit of heaven on earth...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

If you were happy with closet in bathroom. then you could leave the toilet where it is and save some money, put the closet on the far wall where the vanity is currently and put the vanity along the bedroom wall...I'd still move the door down by the window.

• roarah
    last year

My favorite feature in my bathroom is a cushioned bench. I love the idea of a easy chair and a chaise in a bath too. It is nice for doing pedicure work, moisturizing and blowdrying hair too. Thus, I like Annie's ideas!

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

So much to consider.. and each post is truly so helpful. The photos really help me a lot.

Lyban, I agree and aim to use that full 39 inches for the shower or as much of it as possible.

I'm really hoping that the dead space is usable. If not, then I think I might entertain reclaiming the small linen closet that is in the bedroom , for the shower .My first choice is using the dead space.

I don't think I'd replace that closet if I had to reclaim it for the shower.

The last photo Annie provided, with either just a cabinet surface or the lower down window seat has potential. The window that is next to the vanity is not so low down so it could atually even have just a regular counter height cabinet. The larger one is the one that is much lower down.

Annie, if I moved the door to a single door next to the exterior wall, I'm still a little confused with your mentioning the closet. Do you mean building one, or using a large high cabinet ?

In your scenario, Im not sure that moving the toilet would be worth it. I have to think on this a bit .

I see that then the room might be a bit more balanced, but ... now re-reading your last post, that got my interest as we are "just" switching the vanity with a closet of sorts...but then that is also quite moving the plumbing .

another thought - how about keeping one of the doors as is, which would still give a good bit of wall where an additional vanity or chair could go.

They all seem like good ideas. I honestly think they'd all be vast improvements. Either way it's pretty much gutting the room and it's the level of what gets shifted and can go wrong.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

In the layout I provided, I see the closet as opening into the bedroom and a solid wall in the bathroom....thus the towel bar on it.

The problem with not moving the door is it creates an awkward corner because of the large window location where the bathtub is. When I get a chance, I can play some more, maybe make one without moving the toilet...

Would you be ok with having 2 separate vanities instead of one long one?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Fyi, I highly recc this tool, because it is 3-D.

https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner

If you wanted, I could recreate your existing room for you so you could play around with options.

• olychick
    last year

I can't tell from the photo, but is the current shower floor a pre-made pan of some kind? That may be why there is dead space in the shower - so they could use the least expensive standard size base and just make a smaller shower?
    I feel your pain about the color. Our main floor bath had really pretty hand painted tile trim when we moved in, but it was pink. I detest pink. I hated that bath for nearly 40 years and finally redid it last year. So you are 35 years faster than me!

salonva thanked olychick
  • salonva
    Original Author
    last year

Here;s a key thing I had forgotten --there is a vent as well as an outlet on the wall closest to the left door ( when you enter). When this came up before, I think it made the notion of using that whole wall less feasible. I think that was why I started thinking about leaving that door ( next to the vent and yes towards the middle of the room) as the The Door, and then to the right would be the 45 inches plus maybe 20 or so ( Not sure how much would be needed for trim and a single door). Also as you can see, that little corner is a handy chair in my bedroom. It could be moved, but it works nicely there.

oops I guess the photo maybe doesn't fully show but at the top of the photo is an electric outlet cover. On the other side of the wall ( in the bedroom) is the switch for the whirlpool).

So I con't think covering that with a vanity or cabinet would be idea? I don't know.

Oly, yes it is a pan ( a very discolored pan). The tile is all white which is not offensive. The previous owner just picked a bad pink for the walls. Two houses ago I had a great pale pink that was surprisingly one of the most soothing, flattering colors ever. It was when the BM colors didn't have names but something like ST82 ( not really sure).

Mtn, that is very generous of you to offer. I need to look at it though because I am somewhat challenged and don't want you to waste your time. ( see my measuring skills).

• Allison0704
    last year

The outlet can easily be relocated, and the vent could be in the toe kitchen, or up high on the wall.

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

Still continuing to give this thought. I spoke with an acquaintance who is currently ( like started yesterday) having her master bathroom redone. She mentioned that they are also changing doorway (she has a narrow one) and will have to move electric and vent as I described and yes, Allison , it's not a big deal.

She did mention one thing that she is making the doorway wider to be ADA compliant, and is doing a pocket door. Just thought that is something to conisder.

• Allison0704
    last year

Definitely make the doorways wider during remodeling or construction of a new home. We did that in our custom home and our last remodel. We also put in framing for any future grab bars. Take photos and measurements of the shower (s) during framing.

• salonva
    Original Author
    last year

yes we were planning to add grab bars and all and I recall from our last home that it does require pre-planning. I wasn't originally planning to change the doors, since I do have double doors there but if we move the doors I will absolutely make sure they are wider. Good idea about pix during framing.