SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_72536354

I was scammed by Cambria

User
last year

A warning to all considering Cambria. We fell for the whole lifetime warranty. We noticed shortly after install a spiral scratch or defect. We hadn't even used the kitchen and obviously didn't create an exact spiral shape. Cambria is saying the warranty does not cover damage! Does anyone know what it does cover than? Had I known what I know now, I never would have spent the extra funds on Cambria. Ours is quite dull instead of having a shine to it as well

Comments (59)

• Beatrix
    last year

Nah, OP. What we actually have here is a classic case of Karen Syndrome. Seek treatment. Approach your fabricator nicely - ask what they would suggest the best path forward would be to get these marks rectified. This is not a Cambria warranty issue.

Remember that people are much more willing to help when you show that you're committed to being part of the solution, you possess critical thinking skills and you're not working against someone who has the ability to help you. Give your installer the opportunity to make it right instead of complaining into an internet void. It serves no one.

• Related Discussions

I think I was a scam target

Q

Comments (16)
    Gives me the willies! You should definitely be suspicious. As others have said, remain cautious~keep your porch lights, back light, and a small dim lamp on thru the night, even if that's not usual for you. Change your routine just in case you are being watched. Check with the police department to find out when/how often they patrol your neighborhood. If possible, adopt a dog! My boy is my house alarm and I don't have a monthly charge and feel very safe. ;o)
    ...See More

HELP- I Think I have been scammed!

Q

Comments (33)
    shee- no I have never used Paypal. I've never shopped on Ebay either. I have seen some great things that friends and family have purchased on Ebay. Does Ebay accept any form of payment other than Paypal? I personally like a more straight forward shopping experience. From what I've heard about Ebay, sounds as though there is bidding process? Is that the case with everything on Ebay or only certain items? I love to negotiate when I have my eye on something in an antique shop, estate sale, etc. While I enjoy the negotiating IRL, I don't know that I would do very well doing so online. I experienced identity theft at holiday time a couple of years ago. That was a total nightmare for me as I felt violated that someone had access to my social security number and other personal information. I use my credit card for online purchases. The bank that issued my card is extremely vigilent and actually stopped the use of my credit card on the first purchase attempt by whomever it was that hijacked my info. I never use my debit card for online purchases. Perhaps it is not as big of a risk as I envision, but I don't want to go through the whole identity theft horror again.
    ...See More

I have to believe it's a scam. Never Used Sub-Zero Pro $2600

Q

Comments (6)
    This is the problem....I cannot check it out..my 36" all fridge sub-zero comes tomorrow. The kitchen is set. There is no going back. 3 months ago, this would have me all over it. Maybe someone else is interested.
    ...See More

Am I being targeted or scammed?

Q

Comments (8)
    I just saw on TV there are several new credit card scams hitting right now and it's very similar to what you are describing, they said they send out the card with a phone number to call but it is not a real company it is part of the scam they then get the person to give up personal information which they then use to get real cards with the information. So everyone be aware ofphone calls saying that they are the bank or credit card companies plus getting a card. This time of year everyone is using their cards so much they are more likely to get scammed. Yesterday my brother in law said that the bank called to ask if they were currently in Mexico. He said no they weren't. Their card numbers had been used for purchase in Mexico and it got flagged. They had blocked the card already and sent them new cards.
    ...See More
  • anna_682
    last year
    last modified: last year

It appears to me the OP did not realize the damage was probably caused by the fabricator's suction tool. She believed she received a defective product and the manufacturer was not going to stand by their product. Cambria could have explained the issue to her. They could have told her she should contact the fabricator.

Educate her instead of bashing her.

OP, the quartz in our last house arrived in the same condition as yours. We complained to our designer and she contacted the fabricator. It turns out they were swirl marks caused by the suction tool used to move the quartz. The issues were fixed.

OP, did you purchase the Cambria Matte Surface product? If so, it will have a honed appearance.

• M Miller
    last year

@Loudermilk - your level of anger you demonstrate here is inappropriate.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I've got some news. If the fabricator's vacuum pods don't match, your next stop is in Minnesota. Cambria doesn't handle sheets by hand.

• cpartist
    last year

I did try and educate her, by providing a link to the full warranty document.

You don't educate someone by bashing them first and making them feel like garbage. Or calling them ignorant. People who do that should look in the mirror.

And yes, she has a right to FEEL any way she wants because her product is not how it should be. Whether that's the fault of the manufacturer or fabricator.

YOU however are way out of line and frankly, I'm reporting you.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I think "Cambria" is not at fault here and the OP has left Houzz.

I guess I will not be getting the picture I requested.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

It is unknown who is at fault here.

• bry911
    last year

I did try and educate her, by providing a link to the full warranty document.

What you actually did was skip an important step where you provided some evidence that this actually was an installation error. It could still be a manufacturer defect, as @Joseph Corlett, LLC pointed out, it is entirely possible that the binders were not fully set when the material was handled at the factory.

The OP has had three actual pro's assert is a manufacturer error and your linking of the warranty and pointing out it doesn't cover installation errors in no way educated anyone of anything.

---

However, in deference to your position, let me say that I, as a anonymous internet expert, believe you should convert all your retirement to savings and invest that money into Blockbuster Video. Feel free to get a second opinion from a financial advisor, then another, then another, but be sure to ignore them because a rando internet person solved your problem.

• Loudermilk
    last year

You don't educate someone by bashing them first and making them feel like garbage.

Quite rich coming from you. There are literally dozens of posts of you doing exactly what you've accused me of.

• bry911
    last year

@User - Who installed the counter, was it the same company that sold it?

In the U.S. the sale of goods are governed by the Uniform Commercial Code (all U.S. states have adopted it) and there are several implied warranties in the UCC, one of which is the implied warranty of merchantability. It basically says that a seller of goods warranties their products as typical and normal quality. Since this would have been a visible defect the company can't simply call it a manufacturing defect and ignore it. They would have had to mark the slab "as-is."

The warranty can be notoriously disclaimed by noting that sales are "as-is," it can also be modified to only cover things that are not manufacturer defects, so you need to read your contract with the merchandiser to understand what they disclaim.

Installation would not be protected by the UCC as that is a service and not a good. So if there is an installation defect there is nothing the implied warranties can do for you. However, if the same company sold and installed the counters then you really don't need to worry about that, they can fight with Cambria if they want but you don't have to.

----

UCC cases are not slam dunks and are annoying but if you can do a small claims case and educate yourself they can be quite effective. You might also try a letter from an attorney. You really want to reseller fighting Cambria and not you.

• socks
    last year

If you buy a new car and take it to the carwash, you can‘t expect the car dealership to be responsible if the car wash damages your car.

• Loudermilk
    last year

No, you didn't try to educate her by providing a link to the full warranty document. What you actually did was skip an important step...

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit.

My comments were directly related to her false claims and complete lack of understanding of Cambria's lifetime warranty...

She said she was "scammed by Cambria", that she "fell for the whole lifetime warranty", that Cambria is lying about what it covers, that she read the warranty document and "it doesn't say they don't cover any damage".

All of these claims are clearly false and easily disproven by spending 2 minutes reading the warranty document, which is what I pointed out.

The OP has had three actual pro's assert is a manufacturer error and your linking of the warranty and pointing out it doesn't cover installation errors in no way educated anyone of anything.

OP did NOT say "three actual pro's assert it is a manufacturer error". What she actually said was...

"All the point of sale retail store sell it as the best you can get. We were told the only thing the warranty doesn't cover is heat damage", "3 different retail stores have said" the warranty covers external damage, and "I'm assuming the fabricator is what caused the damage."

So she relied on what random Home Depot workers told her, instead of reading the actual warranty document herself. Then goes on to acknowledge the damage was likely caused by someone other than Cambria!!!

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

@Loudermilk

"I'm not angry at all. I'm simply matching the OP's level of outrage."

Does your attitude make the world a better place? Or you a better person?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

If you click on the OP's name, you will get: "The page you requested was not found."

How much should I invest in Blockbuster Video?

• cpartist
    last year

Loudermilk, you show this is the only thread you've been on and no other posts. So who were you before that got you banned?

• Loudermilk
    last year

Never been banned. But have seen enough of your posts to know you are a giant pot calling the kettle black.

• bry911
    last year

Who thinks Loudermilk is just hangry Verbo?

The OP wasn't out of options and they are not the bad guy. They have a real problem and all the people who should be working to help resolve that problem are just blaming someone else hoping the OP gives up before they actually have to stand behind their product or service. This is all too standard in various home remodeling industries.

I don't understand why the people on this site seem to get so much pleasure in obstruction of reasonable resolution. Please notice how @Joseph Corlett, LLC, the one real professional to comment here, asked questions that would help him and the OP understand what happened and thus get resolution.

Let's not pretend that Cambria are the good guys here either. The OP notes, "Cambria can't speculate on what caused it and is saying that any damage is not covered under warranty." How can Cambria not know what caused the damage and still know it is not covered under warranty? The simple answer is that they can't, so they know very well what caused the damage and are not willing to advocate for the consumer.

So they may not have violated the warranty, but let's not pretend they are the good guys. At best they are making resolution more difficult for the OP.

• Loudermilk
    last year

I have no clue who Verbo is.

The OP set the tone of the post by focusing on what the warranty does/doesn't cover and falsely claiming they were "scammed by Cambria".

All of the claims made about the warranty were unquestionably wrong, and in one case, she explicitly lied about the warranty language.

Furthermore, OP goes on to state that she assumes the fabricator caused the damage.

Given the info provided, there is no shred of evidence that Cambria "scammed" the OP or did anything wrong whatsoever.

• RoyHobbs
    last year

@Loudermilk - the analogy that comes to mind with your comments in this thread (and I am not sure that these comments aren't all a put-on for your amusement) is Cambria is your Taylor Swift and you are one of her Swifties. But Cambria is a company generating around $500M a year, and does not need you to rush to its defense and annihilate a critic with such fervor. This little post on a Houzz forum is not even a mosquito on an elephant, it's much smaller than that. Get a grip, put things in perspective, realize that Cambria does not need your outrage on its behalf, and go take a walk and get some fresh air.

• bry911
    last year

@Loudermilk - No one here really cares about your justification for your posts and it is unlikely to change the opinions that people have formed. The OP is a consumer with a problem who has likely been stonewalled by everyone who should be assisting them. I assert that a little patience would be more beneficial.

People can be wrong and not be the bad guy.

• Loudermilk
    last year

The OP is a consumer with a problem who has likely been stonewalled by everyone who should be assisting them.

Maybe they've been stonewalled because how they approached the situation...

immediately claiming they've been "scammed" by a company's warranty, without even knowing what the warranty actually covers, then explicitly lying about what it says.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

See if your fabricator has any vacuum pods that match the rings please.

If Joseph Corlett says it's probably a fabricator's vac-pod, it's almost certainly true.

I am waiting to hear from the fabricator. I'm assuming that's what caused it.

Good. You're on the right track.

Why are you relying on what random employees at "retail stores" are telling you?

I do agree that you can't completely trust retail workers to know the ins-and-outs of all the product they sell -- yes, use them as a starting point, but do your own homework too. When it's something as hard-working (and expensive) as a countertop, you really should read the warranty for yourself; in the long run, you're the one who "wins or loses" and no one cares as much as you.

I've used Cambria in 2 different bathrooms, roughly 8 years apart and we have had no issues with the Cambria slabs or fabricators I used.

At a glance, I wonder if kitchen counter tops, being larger and much more heavy, require these "lifts", whereas a fabricator can lift the bathroom vanity without help?

This is a perfect illustration of how most consumers are incapable of utilizing basic common sense, critical thinking, reading comprehension and problem solving skills.

Overkill.

• bry911
    last year

Maybe they've been stonewalled because how they approached the situation...

Maybe you are being called out for how you approached the situation...

I think the OP was being dramatic but I am not sure they are lying. If a company can't tell you what caused a defect, then how can they definitively tell you it wasn't caused by their process? Their answer seems to be that we only cover defects that we claim responsibility for, which is tantamount to saying we only cover the defects we want. Certainly that is not what the OP said, but it also is not what the warranty says.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I have an extra copy of "How to Win Friends & Influence People" if anyone wants to borrow it . . .

• blueskysunnyday
    last year

Was Verbo banned?

• anna_682
    last year

@Loudermilk The OP is not lying. The OP does not know if it is a damage issue or a manufacturer's defect. She does know that she received a product that is not in the expected condition. She probably has no clue about vacuum pods or possibly fabrication issue. And really, why would she?

Cambria could have told her it is not a manufacturing defect. Please consult with your fabricator if your countertops were installed in this condition. Cambria should not have fluffed her off. I would be irate at their response, as well.

Doesn't Cambria require fabricators of their product to be Certified by them?

• anna_682
    last year

Here is a similar complaint (second one) to the BBB regarding swirl marks and Cambria's reply to the complaint.

https://www.bbb.org/us/mn/eden-prairie/profile/countertops/cambria-0704-96006547/complaints

Excerpt

Specific to the concern mentioned, the product was installed with unpolished spots and swirls is not accurate. The design (color) chosen by the end user has various design aesthetics, one of which the end user pointed out to our service technician for our assessment. In review we have confirmed and explained to the consumer the area in question is an intentional design aesthetic in this design. The end user is not accepting our review and confirmation the product is as intended.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

This is why normal people are scammed by companies, contractors, and whatever. NO we do not understand the crap. We may do this only once, and they are much better at pulling the wool over our eyes. We do our best, then the "pros" (who should help us) jump on us, because we do not understand all the crappy dodges.

• Loudermilk
    last year

The OP is not lying. The OP does not know if it is a damage issue or a manufacturer's defect.

She said she was "scammed by Cambria" and "Cambria is saying the warranty does not cover damage!" She also stated that she is "assuming the fabricator caused the damage."

I posted a link to the warranty, which clearly states it does not cover damage, and she responded..."And I have looked at the warranty. It doesn't say they don't cover any damage."

These statements from the OP certainly don't add up.

• wdccruise
    last year

@bry911: "If a company can't tell you what caused a defect, then how can they definitively tell you it wasn't caused by their process?"

• Sally: "I just bought a new car!"
    • Bobby: "Really? Can I come see it?"
    • Sally: "Sure..."
    • [later] Sally: "Here it is! Lovely isn't it? Oh, no! There's a dent in the fender!"
    • Bobby: "How did that happen?"
    • Sally: "I don't know! It was fine when I parked it here."
    • @bry911: "Probably caused by the manufacturing process."

Oh, the (il)logic.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

If I type Sophie Wheeler in a comment will this thread disappear too? I hope?

• bry911
    last year

@wdccruise - Did you mean to address your comment at Joseph and mistakenly addressed it to me? I don't think Cambria caused this, I think this is a customer getting the run around from several parties who could assign blame and instead are not bothering to.

However, let me fix your example...

• Sally: "The dealership just delivered my new car!"
    • Bobby: "Let's go look at it before we take it for a spin."
    • Sally: "Oh, no! It has a paint defect already and I haven't driven it."
    • Dealer: "It came from the factory with that defect, you need to call them."
    • Factory: "We can't say how the defect happened but it is not a factory defect"
    • @wdccruise "There must be an Einstein-Rosen bridge in your driveway. The defect appeared before you drove the car, but was caused by your driving it!"

The OP discovered the defect before they used the kitchen. I don't know whose fault it is, but I know that damage doesn't actually travel through time and appear before you do the thing that is supposed to cause it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year
    • OP:
    • Sally: "Hey, where did the OP go?"
  • Loudermilk
    last year

@bry911 - Your example is WRONG. This is based on actual comments from the OP...

• Bobby: "Let's go look at it before we take it for a spin."
    • Sally: "Oh, no! It has a paint defect already and I haven't driven it." "I am waiting to hear from the dealer. I'm assuming that's who caused it."
    • Factory: "We don't cover defects caused by the dealer."

OP literally said..."I am waiting to hear from the fabricator. I'm assuming that's what caused it." Yet you remain entranced with the idea they were somehow "scammed" by Cambria.

• anna_682
    last year

@Loudermilk You don't know when she contacted the fabricator nor do you know that she told Cambria she thought it was damage caused by the fabricator.

Isn't it possible the OP contacted the fabricator as the next step due to Cambria saying it was not their problem and they do not cover damage?

• Loudermilk
    last year

@bry911

The OP literally said, firsthand, that they believe the defect was caused by the fabricator. For some reason, you completely ignore this fact.

Instead, you literally make up facts to support the idea the OP is being scammed. Your exact words..."The OP has had three actual pro's assert is a manufacturer error..."

The OP never said such a thing. Not even remotely close. So if you aren't entranced by the scam idea, then why would you completely fabricate information that supports this idea?

• Loudermilk
    last year

@anna_682 None of what you mentioned matters. Because the fact is, she still clung to the idea that she was "scammed by Cambria" and "fell for the whole lifetime warranty", even AFTER she determined the defect was caused by the fabricator AND was shown the warranty language.

• bry911
    last year

@Loudermilk - So if you aren't entranced by the scam idea, then why would you completely fabricate information that supports this idea?

I am so glad you asked that and recommend in the future you might try that again. I misread what the OP wrote and made a subsequent error in my post. I haven't defended that error in any way since I made that statement. People misunderstand things all the time, you pointed out that I struggled with the reading comprehension and I accepted that.

How does that make me "entranced" by the idea? I am not, that is a fabrication on your part, which I believe was intentional.

I will restate my position for your benefit. Cambria came to the OP's house and tried to remove the marks. When they couldn't remove the marks they refused any further warranty service and refused to make a determination on their cause. So now, the OP is frustrated with Cambria, which I will argue is well deserved. A manufacturer showing up at your house and saying, We don't know what caused this problem on your unused counters, so it isn't our problem, is certainly not great practice.

I don't believe that Cambria is scamming the OP, but I do believe that Cambria isn't doing anything to help resolve the issue.

• anna_682
    last year

@Loudermilk

She didn't determine the defect was caused by the fabricator. She said she was waiting to hear back from the fabricator. After Cambria denied it was their issue, it makes perfect sense she would assume (her words) it was a fabrication issue.

Scammed was a poor choice of words on her part.

• Loudermilk
    last year

I misread what the OP wrote and made a subsequent error in my post. I haven't defended that error in any way since I made that statement.

I pointed out this error early in the discussion, and you never acknowledged/corrected it.

Then later, you seemingly doubled down on this assertion, by saying this in your "fixed example"..."It came from the factory with that defect".

Why would you say that, particularly when the OP themselves believes the defect was caused by the fabricator

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Wow...this escalated quickly! I was hoping OP came back to update on what her fabricator had to say, but I see that she is gone :/ She posted about this same issue last week (?). She said someone from Cambria came out to try to remove the spots but were unsuccessful. I assume they suggested she call her fabricator at that point. It sounds like she was waiting to hear back from them. I would think since fabricators have to be certified through Cambria, they might try to assist her in dealing with the fabricator? At least reach out to them and say hey, you need to address this issue? As someone posted in the other post she made, it almost looks like rings on the bottom of a pan, but OP claimed they hadn't used the kitchen yet. I get how frustrating this must be to deal with, but I would not think I'm getting scammed by them. I'm getting Cambria soon, so I was curious as to the outcome of this. Hope she can get it resolved.

• bry911
    last year

@Loudermilk - you seemingly doubled down on this assertion, by saying this in your "fixed example"..."It came from the factory with that defect".

LOL... You are referring to farcical dialogue in the post that began with my specifically saying, "I don't think Cambria caused this, I think this is a customer getting the run around from several parties who could assign blame and instead are not bothering to." Do you also believe I am asserting quantum entanglement because of that dialogue?

• bry911
    last year

Once again, the biggest problem with the hostility towards the OP is that the OP left without any help which could have been available. I don't really care if the OP is wrong, if this is a manufacturer error or any of that jazz. I care that the crappy attitude of people, disinterested in assisting in any meaningful way, could result in real damage.

The OP enjoys some protection from the UCC and may get some resolution that way. Causation is a trap that consumers often fall into and businesses exploit. The OP isn't required to solve this mystery to get relief. You don't have to know why there was a dent in your car when it was delivered, or what caused the marks on the counter before you use it. You go to the party you paid and ask for relief.

Before doing that, you should take a few steps to get the parties to agree the damage existed once the counters were installed. There are several ways to get the various parties to accept this.

• Loudermilk
    last year

@bry911 Lots of excuses.

You "misread" what the OP wrote. You made a "subsequent error" in your post. You "fixed" another poster's example, by restating the same error you now acknowledge, by saying "it came from the factory with that defect." You've gone in, after the fact, to materially modify/add/delete EVERY single post you've made.

• Loudermilk
    last year

Scammed was a poor choice of words on her part.

I completely agree, and it was the entire basis for me posting here to begin with. If you recall, this is what I originally said...

A 5-second google search yields the full warranty document. You probably should have read this before posting about being "scammed by Cambria". More like being scammed by your own ignorance.

Now, I could have probably left out the 'ignorance' part. But I felt it was applicable, given the extreme claims and complete disregard for critical thinking displayed by the OP.

• bry911
    last year

@Loudermilk - I edited the post two minutes after posting and I have done so a lot today as I have been typing on my iphone. If the functionality of the site gets your undies all bunched up in the pinchy spot, I suggest you just dig in and get them out.

Just to be clear, I haven't made an excuse for anything I have said. From the beginning I have maintained that your attitude does real harm and is inexcusable. I don't care about any type of support you use to justify that... it is pathetic.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Do you know that the death toll from two back to back earthquakes in Syria is at 7,000 in Syria?

As of this moment? That's double the folks in the twin towers 9/11. God knows I love a good fight now and then.......but. A pause is good now and then.

P.S Tops quite routinely come into a house via suction pads. Quartz, granite quartzite, ALL.. They get lifted and even jiggled adjusted on top of cabinets, especially within "tight" niches in big kitchens. Never have seen damage........not saying it couldn't happen. Just haven't seen it.

• Loudermilk
    last year

@bry911 I believe the "mistakes", "errors" and false information you've posted does real harm and is inexcusable.

I also think the OP's undeniably false assertions ("I was scammed by Cambria!") does real harm and is inexcusable.

I feel my honest (yet harsh/blunt) attitude > your made-up claims & the OP's false accusations.