SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

I think I was a scam target

graywings123
11 years ago

I believe I was the target of a scam artist. I live on one of the main streets of our small town and have been refinishing my front porch all summer. People walk by and greet me, we talk for a moment and they move on. The other day a woman came up and began a conversation and proceeded to tell me a lot of information about herself. She was pretty, articulate, nicely dressed, about 30 years old. I was on a ladder and made polite responses and was waiting for her to walk away. But she stayed for maybe 10 minutes (it seemed longer) talking about herself. She made a vague reference to going running with me and my dog, and then mentioned coming by again and having some iced tea. My sense was that she was some sort of scammer, and I was waiting for her to ask for money or to use the bathroom. It was too much familiarity on her part with a stranger who was in no way reciprocating in the conversation. I asked her at one point where she lived. She gave a very vague response, so I purposefully asked a second time, and she replied that she was staying with friends and named the street, which runs parallel to mine two blocks over. She eventually left.

I didn't see her the next day, but yesterday she rang my doorbell. I thought it was my next door neighbor so I opened the door, and she proceeded to tell me that her iron had broken and could I help her out? I said I didn't have an iron and was in the middle of something and closed the door rapidly.

Now that I think about it, I'm insulted. I apparently have the look of a someone who could be scammed. But especially in a small Southern town, you don't want to be seen as impolite. I reported the incident to the police in case it was a band of scammers active in the city.

Comments (16)