SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svanflicka

To Remodel or Not - Is the cost justified?

svanflicka
last year

Hello everyone,
I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions about whether the cost of an update/remodel is justified.

Specifically, we are living in a 15-year old custom home. We'll be retiring within 10 years; however our 21-year old son is on the autism spectrum and lives with us. We're not sure if we will eventually relocate but it's a possibility between 7 - 12 years from now. We hope our son will be functioning independently at someday.

Anyway, our main level of our two-story house is becoming a bit of a time capsule because we haven't updated since we built the house. The kitchen is red with antique cream cabinetry and a black island while the living room is a mustard yellow and carpeted.

I really want a more timeless style. We are working with a designer and the proposed project is stunning.

The remodel will include repainting the cabinets a lighter brighter shade of white (without antiquing), new hardware, new neutral, pale painted walls, quartz to replace the laminate countertops and existing island quartz that won't work with the new color scheme, and a new sink/faucets.

Appliances will be replaced with stainless steel in the mid-price range. We'll install a stained wood range hood to match the medium brown hardwood flooring. The backsplash will be updated. The lighting over the island and dining table will be updated too. We want to bring the medium brown hardwood flooring from the kitchen into the living room to replace the carpet and update the face of the fireplace with a whitewash, over-mortaring, and a beefier mantel to match the flooring. The living room will be repainted. One very long wall in the living room will be wainscoted 2/3 of the way up.

So this update doesn't include gutting anything or new cabinetry but will still be costly enough.

Just wondering if this is worthwhile relative to the cost, as it's expensive. The alternative is to just repaint and replace the carpeting. I know we would enjoy this update, and hopefully if we sell in the next ten years, it would better appeal to a buyer.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments (40)

• millworkman
    last year

"I know we would enjoy this update"

At the end of the day the only real reason and the only one you need.

svanflicka thanked millworkman
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I wouldn’t do the whole shebang. Repaint and recarpet and be done with it.

svanflicka thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Related Discussions

Seed Producers - How Do They Justify High Cost

Q

Comments (14)
    Suffice it is to say that businesses are designed to make and sustain a profit. There are often costs that are hidden to us consumers that impact the product's price and company's profit: (seed counting machines, employees, taxes, benefits, compliance costs, etc etc) If the seed industry were to artificially lower prices, due to consumer pressure, we would have less seeds to choose from. Companies would only sell seeds to the most popular plants, and the rarer less popular plant seeds would become a lot more rare. Besides, seeds are only a tiny percentage of the cost of gardening. Dish out the $20-$30 to have all of the seed varieties you want, grow out the plants, then cull the non-hybrid seeds for next year. Pretty simple.
    ...See More

Justifying the cost of 15 SEER A/C

Q

Comments (9)
    Also say why the fuss on cars? we should all drive little box cars. Sometimes we buy for comfort. My thought has always been, why is there a line at that cheap gas station when for only a buck more per tank I can go and fill up without a crowd at the gas station that is 3 cents higher? It's just not about SEER it's also about quality and how the system is made. Most 15 SEER systems are made with better parts. Every brand has it's lower end models and majority of those models happen to be 13 SEER. There is also a RNC level too which should only be sold for new construction but some contractors sell those noise makers as their preferred line. I bet you have a big screen tv and computers and of course lights? I know I have all that stuff and I know all that stuff cost me more than the operation of my A/C, Remember the devils advocate, If quality doesn't matter get the RNC unit and put it right by your bedroom window, you may not sleep much but you will save a buck.
    ...See More

Is it just me or am I justified?

Q

Comments (37)
    I agree with all of above - too long and not a good start. Nip it in the bud now by either getting a better schedule set up that they can commit too. I wish I had started things a bit tighter on our project but thanks to the advice here, I've been doing better on that and finding the right phrases to communicate frustrations '2 days off the job with no work is not ok' 'I need a clear idea what will be completed by the end of this week', etc (thanks edlakin and others). A couple of comments or concerns I have for you though: 1. you mention cabinet field measure. Are your cabinets already ordered or is this measure prior to ordering? Depending on what you are doing for cabinetry, they may take many weeks to arrive or be made - anything from 3 - 12. Be sure that you account for that in the scheduling. Personally, I would have thought you might want them on order before starting demo so everything can be available when you are ready for it. 2. Regarding the offending insulation. Perhaps you could ask your contractor not to bring over large scale materials such as this until they will actually be required. Your house will quickly ressemble a building site in any case, so better to only bring materials in close to when they will be needed. 3. Not giving you a cell # is really poor. I would want a contractor who is much more readily available. Who knows what reasons you might have ... plumbing leaks, crew not following instructions, etc. This is a must have. Good luck.
    ...See More

Help Me Justify This Dishwasher

Q

Comments (7)
    I am not sure this is true though. I bought a Miele 18" dishwasher because I wanted high capacity and high quality, and it holds much more than my previous apartment grade 18" dishwasher. I bought Miele because at the time there was no other choice except a featureless low priced DW at the time, but I would do it again in my new house which can take a standard 24" DW. I know European ovens are much smaller, but in my experience anyway, a Miele DW is not. I am not sure the salesperson was correct--I have found often they are not. On the other hand, a client of mine has a top of the line Kenmore which does an awesome job and she lets dirty dishes sit for days. So who knows. I think it varies by model even within brands.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    last year

You're still planning on being there for at least 10 years. Yes I'd redo it for your own satisfaction. Additionally, it sounds like what you're planning will age better than what you have.

svanflicka thanked cpartist
  • svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much, everyone. As millworkman said, we will enjoy it. And it will definitely age better than what we have, as cpartist said. Just hoping it would matter to a buyer enough to help our home value in the long run too.

• Marci
    last year

Who knows what buyers will want in ten years! Who knows if you’ll be there for ten years or for twenty years. There is nothing wrong with wanting to spruce up your home for you!

Your proposals sound reasonable and I hope you have many years of enjoyment!

svanflicka thanked Marci
  • roarah
    last year

There will likely not be any return of investment other than your enjoyment. If that is a concern than only you will know if it is worth the cost or not.

svanflicka thanked roarah
  • Helen
    last year

Why not?

So long as you can afford it, go for it.

You have no immediate plans to move and you will derive pleasure every day you live in there. I did a gut remodel - I know I would never "make" back when I spent but it wasn't an economic decision. I could afford and I had no immediate plans to move. Every day it gives me pleasure - both functionally and aesthetically.

svanflicka thanked Helen
  • dan1888
    last year

How about pictures of existing?

svanflicka thanked dan1888
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Ten years ago we were told every home ‘had to have’ granite counters, now when you see speckly granite counters it screams 2010. That said, as long as YOUR taste has changed of course you should make the updates. Plus who wants wall to wall carpet, when you see what’s hiding under it you will never have carpet again ;)

svanflicka thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • herbflavor
    last year
    last modified: last year

hard to say because the cabinet details as far as storage needs/ drawers vs hinged doors and a few other issues, matters in my opinion....[ in terms of kitchen which will be proportionately the higher cost area.] Early 2000's built home could have the kitchen specs that you see commonly now, but you havent indicated such. I would get a quote for refacing and any conversion to drawers if it's honestly needed.....that would be a good comparison at this stage of things. I probably could not and wouldn't take the full on expensive overhaul generally because a 15 yr custom home implies not a builder grade . Some things over time naturally have to be done but my thinking would be the outlay in the beginning for the home means the various shifts in colors and certain details should be easy to take on at my pace, at my discretion. But some people dont want to, so the complete overhaul even at higher cost ends up a better execution for some.

svanflicka thanked herbflavor
  • svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

Here are a couple of photos. Note that the sink needs to be replaced, and the faucet is temporary and not the original faucet.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

We have quite a bit of storage, so the layout and existing cabinetry are fine that way. The cabinets are in great shape, but there is some where in the paint finish which is not easily matched due to the antiquing.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

KW, your response is so thoughtful and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my humble post. Time has passed so quickly it seems! I really want to make the updates but when I think of downsizing from this large home, I worry this is the type of expense we'd like to avoid and that perhaps we should have planned to downsize now. The trouble is that we need to stay in this area until we retire and smaller homes closer to our workplaces are not much less costly to purchase and then we'd potentially be looking to move again to a new place for retirement. But, as you said, we will be here for a while and if I choose finishes that are more timeless, perhaps a simple refresh will be enough next time the home needs an update. Thanks again!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@svanflicka Based on personal experience, I can assure you that when you reach that future move /stay decision point the money you’ll spend now on those updates will not seem so costly! Having gone through a similar situation of deciding whether to downsize and then possibly move again in 10 years at retirement, the math proved that it was a better decsion to stay put and do the downsize and move out of the area once. Once that decision was made, we went ahead with some major updates on that home. We wanted to do the updates to master bath & kitchen for us to enjoy, not do them to sell our house & let some future buyer enjoy them. When we sold, we had been clearing things out gradually over a couple of years with future downsizing in mind. When we sold, we did nothing to our house to prep for sale beyond removing personal items from sight. It was a 21 year old home which we had bought as new build. Based on the pictures you posted of your kitchen, my bet is your experience will match mine

svanflicka thanked KW PNW Z8
  • svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

KW, yes, this is exactly what I needed to know. Given the uncertainty surrounding my son's future ability to live independently, we're not ready to downsize or commit to a move just yet, so we will likely stay here for at least another 5 - 7 years, and more likely 10 years, before we would move/downsize. I'm so glad to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy your updated spaces and then didn't have to do much prep prior to sale. That's very encouraging! It's a costly investment, and I don't want to make a foolish decision. But at the same time, updates are needed. It's been 15 years with no changes, and while my dear husband would live with the exact same style and finishes forever, I'm very ready for a change. I do hope the cost won't seem so much in hindsight. Thanks again!

• blfenton
    last year

I completely agree with KW. We did a major renovation in 2010. We were very close to retirement but didn't know if or when we would downsize and so we renovated for us. We are so glad that we did.

The problem with the "wait for 6 months" plan is that sure you could wait for prices to come down or they may not, or interest rates may come down or they may not. Before you know it you've waited for 6 months repeatedly and 5 years have gone by and you've done nothing.

It sounds like you've thought this out and have taken into account a number of factors.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

All based on idea that you can afford it , or will set a s budget, without jeopardizing retirement or perhaps fun stuff you’d rather do…. if the location is great, and home size & layout works, & home is in good condition so not an endless list of others things that are about to fall apart—as you say it doesn’t make sense to move when you still have to have a location by your workplaces.
    So, a refresh, even rather extensive, can improve your outlook and enjoyment of your home in this next decade, and then even if you hit retirement date, you may feel less pressure to make a move, meaning, can take your time thinking about location, what size & floor plan, whether or not your son has his own living arrangement, while feeling your current home is less dated.

In working with your designer though, I’d continue to focus on just what YOU like and not any re- sale— because that’s too far away and too unpredictable. It is most likely you would sell “ as-is” except for making obvious repairs for something broken or unsafe and of course deep- cleaning.
    So get “ your” colors no matter what, your materials and budget- splurges should be things you can enjoy every day.

I’m not advocating no new furniture, but it’s giid if your refresh lets you use and enjoy a lot of your existing furniture, because good furniture is expensive actually, getting harder to obtain, and when downsizing later you will want some $$ available to buy things that truly fit your new home as often a certain space or layout wants something different to make it work and feel
    more like home. But of course if your makeover calls for a different color upholstery somewhere, go for it.

This is a good time for decluttering, at whatever pace works for you. Again, you’re not facing downsizing yet, so no need to get rid if things that you truly enjoy and have space for. But, the refresh itself can promote a good “ re-set” about things that naturally accumulate in our homes and so can help you let go of things that upon reflection just aren’t “ useful or beautiful “ even IF you technically have the room. Breathing space is good! This kind of “low- hanging fruit” decluttering and reducing that will make it easier to tackle the harder cuts later for a major move & downsize, plus kind of lets you start a new mindset of what’s truly important, what tastes, interests, hobbies have changed, etc. or what you might like to try out in retirement. And can give you new energy to do your best work in your final decade or so of working life.

• M Miller
    last year

The only thing in your list I would not do is "a stained wood range hood to match the medium brown hardwood flooring". Those wood hood surrounds often are not built to exhaust well - they are too shallow, usually around 18" rather than 22-24" deep. You also need to buy the motor and liner insert separately, which is more of a challenge to get right and so that it fits inside the wood surround properly. But also a wood hood is harder to wipe and to keep looking clean as compared to stainless steel. There are some very pretty stainless steel hoods available. A hood that I like is the Ventahood Excalibur. The curved design is lovely in any style kitchen, and it comes in different widths and heights. It can be mounted under a cabinet, or it can be mounted on its own. You can customize it with bands and rivets too (though I would not get the optional utensil bar, it adds clutter).

"Ten years ago we were told every home ‘had to have’ granite counters, now when you see speckly granite counters it screams 2010."

@HALLETT & Co. that must be regional, because in my area, the speckly granite counters are early '90's, i.e. 20 years earlier than what you said. By 2010, the more interesting granites were widely available, and Quartz and quartzite were also being used. When I read the OP, her description of the decor of her kitchen sounded older than 15 years, which is why I think now it's time for her to get the decor she loves.

I don't agree with the poster who said to wait. Prices are only going to increase, and labor is only going to get more expensive. And you are not getting any younger. Regardless if there is a recession or not, there is a lack of supply of people in the construction trades which is worsening as people in those trades continue to retire. That lack of supply will govern remodeling costs.

• Kate
    last year

No time like the present, you can’t predict what lies ahead. Make the best decision based on facts available today.

• MizLizzie
    last year

I hate to throw a wrench in this, but I actually love your kitchen. I do feel the red paint and stone backsplash are dating it. If it were my kitchen, I would replace the sink, paint the walls a softer color and find some backsplash tile to mach it. I would replace the window treatment with a shade, maybe bamboo. And upgade to stainless appliances. I might remove the wooden hood for a stainless model. I might swap the bronze hardware for some sort of bar pulls. And that is all I would do. YMMV — sometimes ya just need a change!

• herbflavor
    last year

now that the views of the space are provided it seems a big net gain would be at the time of replacing backsplash to simply extend wall cabinets higher up with stacking effect. That would do quite a bit . Cant comment much furthur because your cost of the plan offered isnt known to commenters here.....and this is about comparing various actions of which you can find many , or alternatively, a few .

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

From a financial standpoint, I think we generally need to view the cost of remodeling as primarily an investment in our own enjoyment of the space rather than a hypothetical future return on investment. There are some improvements which would likely provide some percentage of return on the investment, such as hardwood floors. But others may be more taste-specific and/or may still end up looking "dated" (although potentially less dated) in 10 years. I strongly agree with many others here who have said you need to the remodeling will bring you enough enjoyment over the next 5-15 years to be worth the cost and hassle to you. Make certain the cost isn't too burdensome for you and won't prevent you from other enjoyments you really want (trips, etc).

Seeing the actual pictures of your kitchen, I do think what you have now is quite nice. And what you describe does seem even nicer. If you're not certain if the whole effort is worth it, you could start really small with just wall paint, window treatments, and light fixtures. That could all be done without painting the cabinets or changing the appliances. That might give you an idea if that's enough for you or if you want to go through with the whole project.

• Mrs. S
    last year

I think this all really depends on your financial situation, cash flow, retirement funds (and probably financial arrangement/plans for your son) that have been realistically accounted for. Also, the desirability of your home/neighborhood/location, amount of equity in your home, and relative value of your home vs the neighborhood.

For me, it's a financial decision. And, I suppose, whether you, husband, special needs son can tolerate the workers in your house, etc.

I agree that your personal satisfaction in accomplishing a wonderful re-fresh has value! Of course it does! But how can anyone but you know whether it's "worth it" unless those people know at least something about your financial security/risks. I'm not talking about ensuring that all upgrades result in a proportional increase in value of your home: I'm speaking about your disposable income, adquate savings for the impending future for you both, your son, and risk tolerance.

• anna_682
    last year

We downsized our house a couple of years ago. We recently completed an update on our 13-year-old "new" home. We kept the walnut cabinets as is. We replaced the granite counters and backsplash with soapstone and marble. Replaced the range and Thermador threw in a free dishwasher. New Bosch refrigerator. Repainted most of the rooms; including the trim. We spent around $35,000. I couldn't be happier.

Life is short.

• arcy_gw
    last year

I too think your kitchen is very appealing as is. From what I see from designers you have a pretty classic look going, and you say the function is excellent. If you choose to make expensive changes the sooner the better, as the one return on investment you get that's guaranteed is your pleasure with it. Many of the things that bother you will most likely be changed again when you do sell. The buyer will make it their own. There is no reason for you to think you are making these changes for anyone but you so the sooner the better!!!

• AnnKH
    last year

I like your kitchen, and if the layout works for you, I'd just look at a few cosmetic changes - specifically wall paint, door hardware, and removing the valance above the sink. Unless you really hate the counters and cabinet color, I'd leave them. As others have said, you can't predict what some future buyer might want. As a buyer, I would rather make those decisions for myself.

One issue that hasn't come up: I fully support someone remodeling a kitchen to greatly improve the function, but I cringe at the thought of throwing away appliances and counters that are working fine and not a daily annoyance. I urge you to make the easier cosmetic changes, and see how you feel about the rest.

We remodeled our kitchen in 2013, including a new fridge (we gave the 1989 fridge to a friend for his cabin). A week after we listed our house for sale in 2021, the compressor on the fridge gave out, forcing us to buy a new one. Appliances just don't last as long as they used to.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

Yes, I think it’s hard to give specific advice on the SCOPE of work, except some good forum advice / stories have noted what often gives the most bang per buck, or at least to think flexibly. and that you don’t ( or shouldn’t) have to sign onto a huge project if you want to see how some initial changes look. Or at least, aim to get pricing estimates for , thus, that, this plus that. Of course, some things do need to be planned as a unit, or will end up re- doing. Even paint, is chosen either to go with existing finishes, or if change cabinet paint, counters etc that same paint might no longer be best. Wall painting is cheap - ish for DIY but feels like more of an investment if hiring out. Or how backsplash is affected if add or subtract cabinets.

• salonva
    last year

I also think your kitchen is very nice already. I agree that it could use some gentle updating.

That said, I don't think the kitchen would be a deterrent to a sale as it is now.

I would go ahead still and make improvements for your enjoyment . To me, the wall color is a bit dated but if you still love it, I'd keep it. I think the lighting fixtures could use an update as well. REally does'nt have to be pricey.

You did mention the sink needs replacement and it's in laminate, so there you go. I would definitely replace the countertops ( and sink and hardware to refresh although honestly I can't see the existing hardware too well). That's going to come to some $.

The white appliances happen to look very nice in your kitchen but of course if they are getting on in years or want to replace wiht stainless, that does make sense.

I think painting the cabinets will be pretty pricey, and I can't tell that they need it .... are you sure of that?

Anyway to add my 2 cents, I am not one who spends readily but I have learned with the house, there's a lot to be said for enjoying your surroundings. This was even more apparent to me during covid. I kept wishing I had updated before. As it turned out, we were supposed to start right when the shutdown came to be. We ended up putting it off a few months. I also updated flooring and that was put off for a year. So-- seize the moment.

You will enjoy it.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, thanks everyone! This conversation is really helpful and clarifying my path. Thanks to KW, anna_682, and blfenton for sharing your thoughts about planning for the future, retirement, and downsizing. Sometimes it seems to me that everyone around me has their whole future planned, and I do not because there are too many contingencies.

I appreciate that the updates will be for us and not the next buyer. Still, I'd rather stick with timeless hard finishes so that future updates can be more cosmetic. I'm beginning to doubt that timelessness can be achieved.

The natural maple flooring has to be replaced due to damage from a water leak. So we thought we'd go with a medium brown ash hardwood in the kitchen and extend it into the living room to replace the carpet.

The laminate perimeter counters need to be replaced with quartz but I don't want to be bound by the dated speckled quartz on the island. So it seems that needs to be replaced too. Everything is connected to everything else, it seems.

The bisque appliances are 15 years old and will likely need to be replaced in the next 5 years anyway.

MMiller, great thoughts about the stained range hood, though our current painted hood cabinetry has held up fine with no staining. I love the idea of a refresh/reset. The SS range hoods are beautiful!

MizLizzie and Salonva, glad you like my existing kitchen. Thanks for the good ideas for a lighter version of an update. The cabinet painting is pricey. There is some wear in the paint finish around the hardware especially in the pantry doors and recycling cabinets. Because the finish is antiqued, it's impossible to match by touch-up, unfortunately. But overall, the paint job is in pretty good shape.

Mrs S, thanks for your thoughts about the budget. I have cash to pay for the updates but it's expensive, for sure, and more costly than I had hoped it would be. Still, we're not gutting or replacing cabinets, and the insurance is covering the kitchen hardwood flooring. Ideally, we would enjoy this update and if we sell down the line, the more neutral scheme would be more appealing than our current look.

• cpartist
    last year

Sometimes it seems to me that everyone around me has their whole future planned, and I do not because there are too many contingencies.

And who knows how life will change. We bought a snowbird condo here in FL 12 years ago and gutted the place since it hadn't been touched since 1982. We figured we'd live there until we moved to one of those retirement condos. Then we got a dog who hated walking downtown. And then the condo board decided we didn't need to install hurricane windows since we all had louvered metal slats that were grandfathered in. Never mind because the windows were so old you could hear every sound from downstairs.

So because of those two things we started looking for a house. Wound up building a house and moved in 4 years ago. Actually almost 5 years now.

I appreciate that the updates will be for us and not the next buyer. Still, I'd rather stick with timeless hard finishes so that future updates can be more cosmetic. I'm beginning to doubt that timelessness can be achieved.

No such thing. Do what works for you and try not to be trendy.

The natural maple flooring has to be replaced due to damage from a water leak. So we thought we'd go with a medium brown ash hardwood in the kitchen and extend it into the living room to replace the carpet.

Double check that as I believe ash while beautiful is a soft wood. You might be better off with something harder.

The laminate perimeter counters need to be replaced with quartz but I don't want to be bound by the dated speckled quartz on the island. So it seems that needs to be replaced too. Everything is connected to everything else, it seems.

Personally I think quartz is a trend. Everyone is doing it now. Just like 25 years ago everyone was putting in Corian. And 15 years ago it was gray speckled granite. Find a natural stone you love and go with that.

The bisque appliances are 15 years old and will likely need to be replaced in the next 5 years anyway.

Stainless has now withstood the test of time.

MMiller, great thoughts about the stained range hood, though our current painted hood cabinetry has held up fine with no staining. I love the idea of a refresh/reset. The SS range hoods are beautiful!

I have a painted wood range hood and I've had no issues with it. You can absolutely get inserts that are deep enough.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Yes that straight up white vs distressed white cabinetry will be more timeless. Classic white has been around in certain parts of the country forever! Distressing is a newer invention. The different island color is a recent fashion statement that may or may not stand the test of time. I think it will always be a personal preference that many will like--time my make it passe. BUT the disjointed color will always be another personal preference. Yours will not be the color another will want. It's just the way this goes!! The sink/flooring/counter tops is a total crap shoot. New materials are coming in and out of vogue everyday! You can't guess a buyers personal preferences EVER. Do this FOR YOU and don't look back.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist, I'm dying laughing about the dog that didn't like to walk downtown. I have a standard poodle, and she is our heart, and I just totally get it. How wonderful that you were able to build a home. Solid ash is a durable hardwood - 1320 on the Janka hardness scale; harder and more stable than red oak. I was interested in white oak, but we have around 1,000 square feet to cover, and the designer said that ash is comparable in hardness, accepts a stain well, and is more economical. She is recommending a finish that is more matte than satin, and I'm on the fence about that, but I think it may be better for keeping it looking clean. No final decisions have been made about anything at this point. We're still in the very preliminary stages.

• emilyam819
    last year

Take a weekend to repaint the red, then see how you like it. I would try not to repaint the cabinets, and I think the hood you have is nice.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

@anna_682, tell me more about the soapstone and marble. My concern would be staining and care. While I adore natural stone, I think I'll stress less with quartz.

• MizLizzie
    last year

I can highly recommend quartz for its durability and ease of sanitation. There are so many lovely colors available. We have Cambria — cleans up with a spritz of windex. Soapstone is a great alternative, and takes heat better. Good luck.

• violetsnapdragon
    last year

It would probably save a great deal of money if you painted the kitchen cabinets yourself. Everyone kind of freaks out about this and says you need a professional, but if you do your research and prep and take your time painting, it will be fine. We painted our kitchen cabinets 15 years ago and they have held up over the years. You just have to make sure to do it right.

• anna_682
    last year

@svanflicka I have Brazilian PA soapstone. It is charcoal black with white veining. It is beautiful. I have had no issues with staining, dents, or dings. I oiled it a few times and then just let it be. It naturally darkens over time.

My honed marble is white with blue, brown, and black veining. The marble is sealed. I have had no issues with staining or etching. Occasional small spots of wine and/or coffee left overnight wipe right off. I only use Dawn and water to clean it.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

@violetsnapdragon, yes, repainting the cabinets will cost around $7K. While the paint job is still in good condition (with the exception of some wear near the hardware on the pantry and recycling doors), the glazed antique finish is yellowing a bit, and this makes it very challenging to choose new countertops, wall paint, etc. As you said, it would save some funds if we could repaint the cabinets ourselves; however, I'm very concerned we could never achieve the results of a pro with the proper training and equipment. If you have any resources for researching how to prep and paint kitchen cabinets, though, I would love to take a look.

• svanflicka
    Original Author
    last year

@anna_682, I bet your soapstone is very beautiful, and the marble sounds so gorgeous. After years of having dark countertops, soapstone is too dark for the light, marbled look I'm going for, and while beautiful and my favorite look, marble isn't very practical for us in the kitchen. If I start with function, quartz wins, and then we'll choose a design from there.