SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evelynsmom

Contractor painter vs independent?

evelynsmom
last year

Question is, should I have my contractors do the painting, or hire someone independently? (I can do a change order if I choose to use someone else.)

Context: I'm in the middle of a major renovation with a contractor. We've had a lot of serious issues with them, so that I feel I'm project managing, despite not being handy and having never done another renovation before. Here are just a few:

• They put the framing for the front of the house onto the back (and back on the front) until I pointed it out that it was wrong and then they switched it around.
  • When I asked yesterday, for the second time, for details about the hot water heater, the contractor told me to just choose something at Home Depot that works for a house with the number of bathrooms I have, and I had to reply that our contract has THEM supplying the hot water heater so what hot water heater are THEY supplying me. They said they're now looking into it.
  • After asking me how I'd like my bathroom tiles laid and what grout I would like, they installed the tiles in a different pattern and used a much lighter grout colour than I wanted. When I said it wasn't what I asked for, they said if they had to re-do it, they'd have to break all the tiles and start over. Since we're so delayed, I've decided to live with it. (Kicking myself that I didn't put my request in writing and was merely speaking to the tiler in person, because the tiler later said he remembered me saying I wanted it the way he laid them. Argh.)
  • After primer, I got to the house and discovered no one had put down any drop cloths and there was primer dripped all over my (existing) hardwood floor.
  • etc., etc. I have many more stories

I believe there are advantages to having your contractor take responsibility for the paint because they get a good contractor discount for the paint, any defects would be covered by the 2-year warranty we get with the overall home (although I believe there are many, many exclusions).

However, I also think that if I were to hire someone independent, they may spot defects in the drywall/taping/trim, etc. that I may not spot on my own.

The independent person I'm thinking of is my handyman who cleans my eavestroughs and also has done a small exterior painting job (very well) for me a few years ago. He also does eavestroughs and other handyman work for many of the homes in our neighbourhood so I know he will always be around if I had any problems and wanted him to touch up something down the road. And I would have to supply the paint, but then I'd at least have confidence it's the paint I asked for.

On the "cons" side, he's just one guy, so may make slower progress than whatever team our contractor would use, especially if he feels the trim isn't in good shape and that the millwork needs caulking/sanding, etc. before he can proceed. I worry about this part because I feel the contractor may dig in their heels about cooperating with our painter if he feels the millwork isn't in good enough shape and they disagree and say some of that is our painter's responsibility and/or that they think it is good enough.

I am using independent folks to do my carpet (totally trust him since he did our basement carpet 12 years ago), kitchen installation (since our contractors don't do kitchen installation) and marmoleum kitchen floor (since our contractors don't have experience with Marmoleum). Each of these is a bit more complicated because I have to be the go-between between the contractor and independent supplier.

These are just the pros and cons I can think of. There are likely many more I haven't thought of.

What do you all think of whether I should proceed with my contractor for painting vs. not?

Comments (9)