SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

HRV/ERV from same Mfg as heat pump vs independent mfg

lite1
8 years ago

New construction (some house specs described here http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3517843/hvac-new-construction-your-preliminary-design-input-please?n=7) but want to keep this thread somewhat generic.

House will have heat pump/air handler, and construction will be tight and well insulated but NOT to Passivehaus standards. HVAC likely to be from Trane, Carrier, or Lennox ... what are pros/cons of choosing HRV from them versus considering Greentek, UltimateAir, Zehnder, or Fantech to name a few well-regarded HRV/ERV manufacturers that focus on just that?

I'd expect that sticking with one mfg would have the benefit of ease of integration and avoiding having one vendor blame the other if home owner is not happy with house comfort.

I'd hope that HRV air flow is quiet, but I am after a very quiet "main unit" and it is hard to find information on noise (dbA) ratings.

Would it be safe to assume my GC could install the HRV unit and duct work with their labor at a lower cost than buying the HRV from the HVAC sub contractor who I expect would be charging things at a higher labor rate and profit mark up?

As always appreciate your cutting my learning curve.

I've been reading again about IAQ and house designer recommends HRV (don't really need advice on HRV vs ERV).

Comments (9)