SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_167173948

Bedroom window covering dilemma for mismatched sliders and window

Chris A
last year
last modified: last year

We are close to finishing a bunch of renovations on our house, and I am trying to decide on our new window coverings. In our main bedroom we have a 70" wide slider and a window on the front wall, and opposite that wall there is a slightly separate dressing area with another 70" slider to the back balcony. There is about 8.5" of wall to the left of the front slider, 40" between the slider and the window, and about 21" of wall to the right of that window. The slider in the dressing area has about 16" of wall on each side. The entire bedroom space is about 15.7 ft deep (the window wall) by 18.75 wide.

We're trying to decide how to handle covering the front windows. We would like to have 2 layers of window coverings - room darkening and sheers of some sort. The windows just allow too much visibility from the street with no covering at all. We used to have very ugly drapes on the slider and old mini blinds on the window (which I definitely do not want to repeat, no more mini blinds for me!).

I've considered putting two layers of curtains across the entire front wall on a continuous track, and a similar set centered on the back slider. I've been looking at IKEA products like maybe the Sanela cotton velvet curtains with Ritva white sheers underneath. My thought is that we could push the bulk of the darker curtain panels to between the sliding door and window and to the right of the window during the day, and we wouldn't have to worry about placement of separate rods on this uneven layout. But we are worried that the entire wall of curtains might feel overpowering (especially if I do a dark blue curtain...).

It's a big room, so the visual weight of all those curtains might be just fine, but I am having a hard time trying to understand what's the right way to approach this. I would love to hear any advice about how to approach covering these windows! (And sorry for the bad pictures, it's the best I have available right now).

Comments (4)