SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Little miracles

plllog
last year

I was making a small Chanukah dinner tonight. I've been losing touch with the calendar, and didn't really think about it being Shabbat until I started actually putting the supplies together. This was happening at Not-My-House. I'd seen a big bottle of grape juice there, and there might be wine, but the company are not big drinkers, and I just poured the juice in shot glasses--enough for the blessing. I was too busy frying this week, however, to bake, and I had no challah in the freezer, so figured I'd stop at the corner bakery on my way. But they were closing an hour early every day for Chanukah (and probably the workers to get ready for Christmas), and I missed them. I didn't have time to go around to groceries which may or may not be sold out, so I called Mr. Picky. He wasn't going to a store, but I know he always has brioche style hotdog buns. Really similar to classic challah. Perfect. When he got to Not-My-House I put a couple (reminiscent of the double portion of manna for the Sabbath) hotdog buns on a dish. and covered with a cloth Chanukah napkin.

Done! So in walk the cousins with a bottle of wine! ("I didn't want to come empty handed") and the pseudo-sister with a grosse challah! Well, really just really large, but huge compared to hotdog buns. :) I never learned why she brought it, just that she wanted about a third to take home. We ate a lot of it, she took her third, and there was still about half left!

Grape juice and hotdog buns would have been adequate. The non-drinkers had the grape juice anyway. But boy did a decent bottle of wine and a beautiful challah lift the table!

I hope your holiday tables are graced with little miracles too!

Comments (3)