SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison704

Anyone else had the flu and/or the cough from H3LL?

Allison0704
last year
last modified: last year

Went to visit DD2 and family. Arrived on a Thursday. DGD2's class and teachers were almost all flu positive by Saturday. Next to fall, DD2 and I went to urgent care Sunday when they opened. XOfluza, cough syrup and nasal spray. Her DH was sick by Monday.Only the 11yo was spared. I developed a cough that felt like I was coughing up a lung. Went home three days later than planned. Gone 8 days total.

Two weeks go by, better but still coughing a good bit. Telemed Zoom call on a Sunday. Puffer, 5 days of steriods.

Ten days later, cough seems to be getting worse, so urgent care near our house. Lungs are clear. It's all in my throat. Inhaler, RX to help stop coughing, Z Pack and steroid injection.

And I am STILL coughing two days later. I am tired of coughing. But the good news, once I go to sleep, I'm good for the night.

In four more days, it will be a month. :-/

During this time, we found out Ellie (our blind dog) had advanced cancer, so I lost her that day - the Tuesday before Thansgiving. DD2 and family came for Thanksgiving long weekend, so that helped take my mind off Ellie... until the 2yo asked if Ellie was sick and at the Drs. She wanted Ellie to come home. :(

This has been a bad November.

Comments (44)

• jojoco
    last year

Oh no, I’m so sorry that youve been sick and lost your dear Ellie. Hugs.❤️

• Springroz
    last year

Awww, I am so sorry to hear about Ellie. I hope you are getting past the crud. M dance teacher and 2 kids, plus 6 grandkids, all brought that crud back from Opryland, the weekend before Thankgiving. They are still sick....

My DS had some sort of dysentery (no other symptoms), we were kind of crampy for 2 days, but all normal now.

• Related Discussions

I hope you had your flu shot!!!

Q

Comments (16)
    I'd describe influenza (the "real" flu) as feeling like getting run over by a truck. It happens out of nowhere, and you just can't do anything but lay there and feel horrible (and probably cough a whole lot). After several bouts with influenza over the years, I finally wised up and now get the vaccination every year. It doesn't always work--there was a poor match in 1999 and it DIDN'T work, but most years I'm influenza-free. If your influenza type (usually docs look at the CDC website or get updates from a county health department and base their diagnosis on what's prevalent in your area) is susceptible to one of the anti-influenza drugs AND you've gotten to the doc within about 24 hours of onset of symptoms, then the drugs cut your time spent just laying in bed because you are too weak to do anything else from 7 days to about 3 days. They don't do much for the weak, shaky recovery period other than start that recovery sooner. Right now, most H3N2 strains (the ones most commonly in circulation) are resistant to Amantadine (Symmetrel) but still susceptible to Tamiflu/Relenza. How long until the flu strains develop resistance to those is unknown. Bottom line: Get the vaccination every Fall, unless you are allergic to something in the vaccine. It's better than spending 7 days in bed too weak to get up except to go pee, better than spending 7 days in a hospital bed delirious with a high fever too weak to get up except to pee, better than losing 20 pounds in 5 days because your body is just burning itself up (NO, influenza is NOT a good diet plan...), better than spending 2 to 4 weeks slowly recovering and regaining your strength, better than getting bronchitis along with it and coughing for months, better than getting a secondary pneumonia infection--get the picture? Lisa
    ...See More

Cough, Cough, Gag!! Self-Cleaning Oven Smell!

Q

Comments (9)
    Yes, mine did that too, it was very smelly, I turned on the attic fan and sucked it all out. Then the oven blew a fuse about 2/3 of the way thru the cycle and the oven and clock and timers wouldn't work until it was repaired. We had company that weekend, I was not happy.At least the burners would still work, but I was ticked. After googling it, found out that that wasn't all that rare, but it still made me mad that I had to have a repairman come fix it. Now I know the part number and we can do it ourselves if it happens again. Repairman suggested doing a shorter cycle and pulling it out from the countertops so it won't get TOO TOO hot and overheat and blow another fuse. Don't buy Samsung appliances, that's my new motto. :)
    ...See More

Anyone else got the flu that isn't in the vaccine?

Q

Comments (15)
    Got my flu shot in October and a couple days later came down with a cold. A nasty, nasty strain of cold is going around. I've been coughing for just over two months. Violent coughing at one point. So violent that I pulled a muscle in my side. Ran a fever last week and was out of work for two days. Haven't had a fever for 30 years. Have gone through two combo boxes of Day/NIght Theraflu, a bottle of Nyquil, 11 bags of cough drops, a 10-day course of Augmentin (antibiotic) that made me sicker, and finally, a 5-day course Z-pak which has nearly stopped the coughing. Saw my doctor for a six week checkup yesterday and since I'm still not 100%, he ordered a CT of my sinuses to see if I still have some kind of infection. Yep, something really nasty is going around (though I don't think it's the flu) and I'll be so happy when it's gone. Jodi-
    ...See More

Flu, Anyone?

Q

Comments (35)
    Was just about to ask "Did y'all get your flu and pneumonia shots?" when I came to your recent post above. I got the flu shot and the 1st pneumonia shot 3 or 4 years ago, and was sick afterwards for several weeks. The last time I'd had flu was in the mid 60's! So, I refused the flu shots after that. Until this year, I asked about the 2nd pneumonia shot, and my doctor talked me into getting the flu shot, too. He said they are much improved, also that there are new strains of flu every year, so the shots keep changing, too. So far, so good! Anyhow, I'm sorry to read you've been so sick, but very glad y'all are recuperating! Hope all are completely well soon! ! And if anyone hasn't had the shots yet, please get them ASAP! Rusty
    ...See More
  • Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, both.

Springroz, that does not sound like fun. I'd rather cough for two days. LOL

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I had a really bad cold in September with coughing that kept me awake and took forever to go away! Thankfully not the flu.

• jab65
    last year

So sorry you've been coughing for so long. We've avoided it so far...

Losing Ellie had to make it just that much worse for you. Hope it clears up real soon.

• Jilly
    last year

Allison, I’m so sorry for everything you’ve been going through! My heart hurts for your loss of precious Ellie.

I hope you start feeling better soon and everyone is healthy for Christmas.

Hugs ❤️

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

The cough hangs on like something crazy. I had a cold/sinus thing going on4-6 weeks ago and the cough is still lingering. After yoga the other day most of the class stated that they had a cough and had had it for several weeks. We all agreed it was worse for us at night.

• teeda
    last year

I'm so very sorry that you lost your beloved dog, and have had to deal with being sick for so long. What a tough, tough combination of things. Hope you begin to feel better very soon..

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

So sorry you're dealing with such a loss and illness. Hoping you'll be on the mend soon.

Flu this year is very bad, and ramping up earlier than normal, according to news reports. Last I heard, around 3K people had already died from it, and many were children 😔

In answer to the OP title - no. I've been double masking everywhere in public and so far have managed to avoid catching anything - knock wood! I haven't had any illness with a terrible cough for many, many years, thankfully.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I am so very sorry about your loss of Ellie and putting that on top of illness. I lost my previous beloved pup on Thanksgiving and I find this time of year very difficult even 7 years later. My heart goes out to you, especially losing her suddenly.

I've been lucky to dodge illnesses so far this season. My husband was quite sick with a nasty code for about a week. And two of my friends had terrible stomach flu for a week. As I understand, the flu and RSV are terribly high right now in my area and likely many areas of the country. It's hard to avoid.

• OllieJane
    last year

My SIL just diagnosed with RSV.

• jill302
    last year

Sending you warm thoughts. Such a difficult time for you, Losing your beloved pup and being so sick to top it off. Hoping you cough is gone soon.

• bbstx
    last year

DGD’s pediatrician has a chart in one of her examining rooms of how long various cold symptoms last. The last thing to leave is the cough.

• Bluebell66
    last year

I'm so very sorry about Ellie. So heartbreaking. Also sorry you've been sick for so long. That lingering cough is the worst! I hope you're over it soon.

• Feathers11
    last year

I'm so sorry about your dear dog, Allison. Such a loss this time of year. Hopefully, she wasn't in pain in the end with the cancer.

For Thanksgiving, my DS brought home the flu from college. I was down for 3 days, but feeling better with no fever after that. The cough, though, is lingering. I simply cannot tolerate any more OTC meds. I'm drinking loads of fluids and running eucalyptus through a diffuser. Fortunately, the cough doesn't keep me up at night. But it's a cough like I've never had before. I hope yours eases soon.

• Bestyears
    last year

Oh, Allison, I'm so sorry for the pileup of worry and sadness. I've found that times like this, even when the events aren't huge, can really pack a wallop. I think it has to do with suddenly feeling a little less safe in the world. And in your case, these were not little things. I'm sure you are still missing Ellie terribly.....

Regarding the flu, my sister told me today that a young man she knows went to the doctor and tested positive for TWO strands of the flu. I didn't even know that was possible.

• nekotish
    last year

Allison, what an unfair set of circumstances for you. No doubt it is all taking a strain on your body and soul. I sincerely hope that you have an uneventful recovery.

@Bestyears I have had the flu twice as an adult. Once was a couple of days off work feeling tired and achy, upset stomach. The other time I was literally bedridden for about 8 days. My neck hurt so badly that I couldn't turn my head. I had a pounding headache and could only tolerate small sips of water. My room mate was a medical transcriptionist at the local hospital and insisted on taking me to the ER. Rounds and rounds of tests and the final diagnosis was both strains of the two virulent flus that were going around.

• Kswl
    last year

It went through our family too; I was the only one not to succumb, although ironically I had a stomach bug for a couple of days last week.

Grandson got sick from daycare , mom and dad (our pregnant DD and SIL) got sick about four days later. GS became quite ill and tested + for flu but not RSV. He recovered to go back to daycare. and SIL thought he was better also. DD still so sick they canceled her induction on the 17th. We picked up Andrew wanting to keep him away from them both and give them a break. DD was getting IV fluids at home at 8 mo, 3 wks pregnant. SIL then had a relapse and high fever. DD went into labor and somehow SIL got her to Atlanta to hospital. Baby delivered and SIL sent home. He came to us as he couldnt function by himself. DD released from hosp next day, my DH drove up and collected her and new baby and brough them here. They were all here 8 days (GS 11 days). DD would have a good day then relapse. My DH came down with it five days into their visit. DS2 came down to help me nurse the sick and within two days he was down with it.

DD and fam went home last Sunday, on Monday the 2 year old GS had fever of 103 and was diagnosed the next day with RSV. DD still sick, coughing all night. Mother in law flies in from Wisconsin, main goal is to keep newborn away from toddler with RSV. SIL still has a few issues, DD still coughing and feeling terrible (now with temporary but profound hearing loss from ear infections). GS has bounced back and is back in daycare after note obtained from pediatrician, mother in law is leaving Monday and my DH now has SHINGLES from the stress of getting flu in his immunocompromised state.

Newborn healthy as a horse, actually gained weight the first week rather than losing the customary 10% of body weight, and I am still flu- free and worried about getting house decorated for Christmas and the 20 ladies expecting a festive Christmas brunch on the 15th!

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Noticed you had not been here much, Allison. I'm very sorry you're having to keep fighting whatever has taken hold. I hope you feel better soon!

• nekotish
    last year

Saint KSWL, bless you and yours. What a perfect storm you've endured. I think the universe will give you a pass if you simplify your holiday to-do list. Main thing is that your family seems to be weathering the storm and that new little boy is one tough customer! Have your ladie's brunch catered!

• Kswl
    last year

Lol, Nekotish! I’ve been thinking about doing that! But I am still making yuletide and eggnog mini scones and sending them home as a party treat.

The infant is in fantastic shape, in fact he had done so well at 6 days that he got a pass on the two week visit and can wait until he’s a month old for the next one. I asked my poor DD if she was at least happy to be back in her own home and she said, ” Not really!” They really needed the help and it was wonderful to be able to be present for the baby’s first week. DD loved having me ooh and ahh over the baby and being able to sleep whenever she wasn’t nursing. Andrew loved the golf cart and when everyone else was too sick to take him he and i would get in and drive to his Lolly’s house (my mother) with him sitting in my lap both hands on the steering wheel staring intently at the road. I would call Mom and she would come out for a drive by wave and a kiss blown in her general direction. We didnt dare expose her to any of the germs with contact but she loved seeing us multiple times a day.

• nicole___
    last year

I'm so sorry for your loss of Ellie. Being sick is just an awful way to enter the holiday season. I hope you and your family feel better soon.

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Oh my goodness, @Kswl If there was a prize, you would win! I hope DD is feeling like herself soon. Glad the baby is doing well and you have stayed healthy.

Thank you for all the well wishes, and I hope everyone gets well soon and/or stays well. What kills me is I am usually the one to bounce back faster or the illness not last as long.. DH kept telling me not to come home until I was well, but I knew I wasn't contagious anymore. My flu symptoms weren't too bad. My knees only ached one morning, low fever one day. I didn't even realize I had a fever. It was the coughing. My symptoms changed daily, and from reading onlie lists, I had most of the dozen+ flu symptoms. Just not at the same time.

Thank you for the condolensces. Ellie was one in a million. I adopted her at 5yo and had the pleasure of her company for just over 6yrs. About 4yrs ago she tore her ACL and Meniscus. Fall of 2020 she lost her right eye, then left was removed Summer of 2021. She showed signs of pain in September of this year, and we went to the vet. Bloodwork was okay. She improved, but had moments (not daily) of what appeared to be pain. I had an appointment for her to see vet during my flu bout, so that was cancelled, as I was not home and DH could not pick her up to put in car. My first week back home she wasn't feeling well twice (she would not eat breakfast but perked up by noon), so I called a new vet office (previous vet couldn't see her right away, and I had that feeling). I was there in under an hour. Her bloodwork was not good, and the ultrasound showed she had cancer on her liver, spleen and in her chest cavity.

I picked up her ashes yesterday, but before that, I went to give the groomer her Christmas money. I had called to let her know, but that hadn't told her... so that was tough. She got teary-eyed, so I did too. She was so good with Ellie, and caring. We did a Zoom and Groom - she was first client of the day and she only worked on her, then called me when close to finishing, so Ellie wasn't there long.

Here is a photo taken a few months after we adopted Ellie. She came to me at a good time, when my mom was in hospice. I hate Mom never got to meet her. She walked in like she had always been there. Didn't bother the cats. Loved the grandchildren. Minded/knew her commands. Always wagging that fluffy tail, she even got "happy tail" once. She loved her belly rubs.

• arcy_gw
    last year

No mention of COVID testing in your tale of woe...I will assume you were negative but the way it's hanging on I wonder............... Sorry you are missing your pup!! I've never had the flu but get a shot to apease my doctor who is convinced it keeps flu from spreading. I guess we can all be carriers even if we don't get it????? My students are sure getting this flu. We have been down 10-20% of our population daily since before Thanksgiving.

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks. Yes, I was tested for CV and negative. Also tested negative twice at home - wondered the same.

• Kswl
    last year

Allison that cycle of starting to feel better then coming down with a whole set of new symptoms is typical of this particular flu. Last night my mother and I went to our Historical society Christmas dinner and everyone there had a similar story of a family member or coworker ir friend who experienced the very same thing. The cough that wont quit is the worst and longest lasting symptom. It’s preventing DD from getting good sleep, but she can’t take anything with codeine while she is nursing.

Your Ellie looks like the black terripoo we had when I was growing up. He lived to be 18 years old and my mother would never get another dog after him. Some pets live in our hearts forever and it sounds like Ellie is one of those. ❤️

• deegw
    last year

Allison and KSWL, I'm so sorry about your illness worries and grief.

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Kwsl, my variety of symptoms took place over 4 days. Based on all these experiences, this seems to be a doozy of a flu strain.

Ellie was a Labradoodle (from a bad backyard breeder). She was originally left in a box at a WM parking lot due to mild hip dysplasia. Breeder couldn't sell. Someone took her to a local human socieity where she was adopted by a couple, but then on of them took her to a local pet food store and said if you don't take her, I'm taking back to human society. The girls working there often kept resuces until adopted so they took her and posted on FB. I saw her photo there. She looked brown. Her hair was long and matted all over. No way she could see a dang thing! I went to love on her between visitng my mom and picked up DGS from school. The manager and comanager named me "the chosen one" by the time I left a half hour later. I had not only loved on her, but got down on the floor with her, walked her around the store, etc. After she had gained some weight I got to take her home and changed her name. Still started with an E and was also two syllables. Ellie fit her better.

• deegw
    last year

Allison or KSWL, did you or your family members get the flu shot? Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it.

edited to add, Allison I just saw your post about the flu shot on the other thread.

• graywings123
    last year

I had a weird something hit me in early November: persistent face headache from my forehead to my front teeth and a slight (100.1 degree) fever. It lasted for a few days and left me worn out for two weeks. No respiratory issues at all.

• Jilly
    last year

Allison, I didn’t know Ellie’s story. I got choked up reading that. I’m so glad you found her. ❤️

• Kswl
    last year

Dee, in our family I alone got the flu shot and DID NOT get the flu. Dh didn’t grt the shot ; he’s been on immunotherapy for cancer for almost a year so there were other issues for hm. Neither DD or SIL nor DS2 had the flu shot so that’s a tiny anecdotal sample and here’s my take:

IF YOU HAVEN’T GOTTEN THE FLU SHOT YET MAKE HASTE TO GET ONE!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Hope you feel better soon Allison. spoke to a friend yesterday who has the lingering cough. She was tested for both flu and covid. Both were negative, but she didnt go to dr till agtee she had been sick for a week, so who knows. She is still quite hoarse and has a bit of cough left.

I’m so sorry to hear about Ellie. Losing a beloved pet is one of the hardest things in life. ❤️😢

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Tina. I can actually say I am better today. The Z Pack seems to be working on my cough.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Just an FYI: "piggyback" bacterial infections, including pneumonia are not-uncommon complications of flu, and if you are dehydrated from the flu, it won't necessarily show up on the xray. I used to see this quite often in my years as a clinical research coordinator - working on new antibiotics for treating pneumonia. Cough after pneumonia can persist for a month +/-, even though the infection was killed in the first week. It just takes that long for the irritation/inflammation to resolve.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

Awful stuff going around. It seems like everyone I know has been sick in the last month. (hyperbole) Two grandsons sick one with the flu, another with bronchitis, one daughter with ear infections and ruptured ear drums, sister in law with severe sinus infection with the flu and almost constant cough. I hosted 7 rather than 15 people for Thanksgiving, My grandsons never get sick. Thankfully, the young ones are better and my SIL is improving. My husband and I are fine despite spending the day with grandson who had the flu the day before he got sick. Both of us have had the flu vaccine. More anecdotal that the flu shot is effective.

Allison, so sad about Ellie. It is never a good time to lose a pet. Your saga of illness reminds me of my exprience in early December, 2020. I thought I was going to have to cancel Christmas that year. The coughing is so debilitating. I hope your daughter has made a full recovery and that you get back to your usual self very soon.

KSWL, I hope everyone gets well soon and with no complications. I know you must be worried and stressed but you are heroic at keeping a positive outlook. Glad the infant is well and thriving. Mama must have passed all her immunity to him. That is quite the new baby story.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

Ah Allison. our pups do break our hearts. I am so sorry. i also had the hacking horror, which lasted over a month, and I either caught a fresh one, or its still! hanging on. .The bronchitis was brutal . i was exhaustrd as well as hacking. i’m not chatting here much because my ipad acts up and typing is a chore. i do read most days, though.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Wondering if any testing for RSV was done, and the results?

That's the 3rd illness that's considered part of what's being termed the 'tripledemic' this winter.

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Carol, for me? No. I did not/do not have any trouble breathing, no wheezing, etc.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Oh Allison, I feel so sorry for you and all you’ve been through the past month. It’s bad enough to go through the loss of Ellie, but the to have the flu and the nagging cough just takes it all out of you. I had a cold that left me with a similar lingering cough (this was pre-Covid). My symptoms and treatments were exactly the same except I declined the steroid treatments the doc was going to give me as a last resort. I don’t get any sleep when given steroids. The cough finally just stopped.

• texanjana
    last year

I‘m so sorry for the loss of Ellie. I also hope you are feeling much better soon, Allison. I‘m hoping December is a much better month for you.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

What happened to my post here??? I know I typed one.....geesh.

Allison this has been a tough season for you physically and emotionally. Losing your dear Ellie doesn't just hurt your heart it takes a toll physically and no doubt impacted your immune system. I hope you're on the mend from the flu. Your heart will follow in time.

• Allison0704
    Original Author
    last year

Y'all are so sweet, thank you. I hate to hear so many of us and our loved ones have been dealing with crud. Especially around the holidays. But then it's never a good time.

We did have a nice Thanksgiving, and DD2's family was coming back for Christmas - then this week her kitchen flooded. So she will spend her month between semesters with workmen instead of having some quiet time and quality time with her children during break. When she bought the house last Spring, she had plans to eventually (in several years) replace flooring on the first floor.. It's nice for me since my bedroom backs up to the kitchen and now the carpet will be replaced with wood. Got to think about the positive! I'll go visit in January, and my sister arrives today for a month. She comes to her house every other month for a month.

@OutsidePlaying I resorted to the Z Pack, which has not been bad. None of the steroids I've been given have kept me up at night. Big difference than when I've had a Dosepak. Luckily, I haven't needed to take that in years, but at least my house was beyond cleaned and organized during treatment. LOL

• jb1586
    last year

Allison and Kswl, hope you and your families are better soon. So sorry for what you have gone through. In our family, our DGS caught the virus with the prolonged cough first, then my DH got it, then our DGD. No fevers, just a deep juicy cough and congestion. No wheezing. Of course, my husband had the worst version of it, and is still coughing quite a bit, a month later. Our son, who is a physician, thinks that it was probably RSV. I never got it, nor did our son and DDIL.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting