Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Manhattan fashion statement

palimpsest
last year
last modified: last year

For 20 something to thirty something women:

Oversized camel hair coat

High flare or bell bottom jeans or frumpy flared slacks (almost like the kind with an elastic waist)

Geriatric looking white sneakers "dad" or "grandpa" sneakers.

Seen on more than a dozen women, some in pairs and groups, in a single neighborhood.

I feel like some 70-80 year olds could inadvertently be in fashion this winter.

Comments (54)

• blfenton
    last year

I have the jeans, I have the shoes, Just need the coat. Do Camel Hair coats come in Gortex?

• Kswl
    last year

White sneakers are an improvement over the ubiquitous black sneakers that have been popular for so long, imo! I’ve been wearing white Keds and Superga’s since, well, a very long time, not that I am stuck in my own time warp or anything. 😎

• Related Discussions

LB Fashion Statement

Q

Comments (1)
    That color is actually more 'Sunbelt' green than 'Lawn-Boy'.
    ...See More

I Want To Make A Hosta Statement

Q

Comments (5)
    Ken-I have a plan on my drawing board where all that grass in back will be GONE. When I get home I'll scan it and post it. But Rome wasn't built in one day, particularly on social security income. LOL As far as the grass up front, there isn't much since I don't spend money on lawn keeping. Or lawn watering when there are hostas to be watered. But it is a grade up from asphalt. If Wu doesn't work out I'll try something else. The way my Blue Angels are growing in back they are about to hide the trunk of the walnut tree. The place where I plan to plant the Wu is the shadiest available. Les
    ...See More

Wow! Earrings a Fashion No No ?!

Q

Comments (46)
    Watched the video of "Dad," Moonshadow. I can only say that if she were my daughter, no matter how gorgeous, maybe especially if she were quite gorgeous, she'd be volunteering at the soup kitchen & the hospital & she'd have a list of books to read (from me, not school) & we'd be discussing the flood in Pakistan, & the earthquake in Haiti. I know all girls love the fantasy of being a model. But as their parent, as an adult who knows better, you lead them by the hand into more substantial turf. You teach them that their value does not reside in their physical appearance, even if they happen to be stunning. You guide them to have an interest in the world & to see that it does not revolve around them. Any 14 yr. old is self-centered. At this stage of her development, encouraging so much focus on her looks & on externals, will probably result in her growing up to be a very narcissistic person who has little empathy for others.
    ...See More

Random Fashion Questions - Shoulders, Collars & ___ (add yours!)

Q

Comments (38)
    Well.. I put the white sleeveless top on this morning and while a taupe bra worked better than the lavender, I could see my belly button. I am going to return it. I don't want a summer shirt that requires a tank underneath... especially not for the price. Mtn, I love your picks! I would also "tough it out" and skip a coat or wrap with the OTS jackets. I really love the summer tweed jacket.. and the sequin jacket! Both are so adaptable!
    ...See More
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Then I need to post my vintage camelhair coat for sale in IG!

• ratherbesewing
    last year

Pleated pants are back too. Unfortunately, I donated mine years ago.

• salonva
    last year

I'd love to see a photo of the look you are describing. I just cannot picture it except for the oversized coat and the grandpa sneakers ( that term really cracks me up as we lived it with my FIL who had a supply which he correctly said would outlast him).

Maybe I've been too long removed from the urban and hipper locations but I'm having a hard time visualizing. I believe you but I need help with the visual.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I notice that plaid flannel shirts are back. DH is back in style! He's been wearing them for winter for decades now!

• rubyclaire
    last year

I think this is an example of the look - I'm sure there are better out there but just for illustration.

While this is not her, my late twentiy-something daughter is a fan of the style.

• deegw
    last year

I know I'm getting old because to me, baggy, thick, and heavy isn't comfortable. Give me lightweight stuff with some stretch. If I had to wear one of those giant wool coats again I would feel like I was suffocating.

My DD has really been into patchwork quilt cotton coats. She looks adorable, I would look like an eccentric.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I bought both these recently and have adored wearing them. Tight tops but no crops for this middle aged woman! Although sneakers and or something else up to date. Camel coat, done.

I despise the Hoka looking bulky sneakers but recognize their popularity and function.

I am wearing retro trainers.

• jojoco
    last year

Salon,

Here’s the look. I see it all over longwood. My preferred take is with a cream colored top to keep it classic looking

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

I think the first picture is more the actual street look. Very baggy, tending toward disheveled, the younger the person, the more the coat is hanging off.

The second picture is kind of the suburban fashion version of the look, kind of a cultural appropriation of the real look.

• deegw
    last year

I always loved the videos of Bill Cunnigham's street fashion photos for the NYT and his poetic narration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ5c602n5bs

• salonva
    last year

Thanks for the photos shared. I know if I wore the first example ( which seems to be THE one) I would look like a fat frumpy sloppy old lady. I don't think it looks too cool on the younger woman either, but I guess if I start to see it enough I will begin to think it's cool.

Jojo the look you shared looks very hip to me, and wold probably be a bit more flattering on most. I think the big coat and the big pants really just don't look great in my eyes. She ( the model) is tall and slender and could carry any look nicely.

OK I'm showing my age, but don't the bare legs get cold???

Bumblebeez- those look very nice, but again, on someone slender enough to carry it.

That would not be me.

But it does get me longing for my elephant bells from the late 60's.

• Allison0704
    last year

I don't care for the look, but to each their own. Reminds me of an article in AD or Milieu where the homeowner was a young lady wearing an oversized colorful jacket. Swallowed her. Wasn't attractive.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Yes I'm loving this look and I can carry it being 5'10 and then thin

• blfenton
    last year

Grouchy old woman here - maybe if they all start wearing white running shoes we'll have a chance to see them when they dash across the street in the middle of the block when it's dark and pouring rain. At least no more head to toe black.

• User
    last year

I was going to ask if this means the destroyed jeans with gaping holes at the knees are going away, but the photo above makes it appear that the jeans still must be wrecked to an extent. I'm one who does my own thing fashion-wise (generally speaking; I mean, I'm 60 years old with a full sleeve and other tattoos which I fully recognize is not everyone's thing), but I absolutely hate this look and don't get why people find it appealing. But as my dad always says, "every pig to their own slop."

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

The worst part about the baggy pants is, after all these years and years, I've finally gotten comfortable in wearing skinny jeans. It figures. I'm always about 10 yrs behind the times....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I know many are still wearing them, but I always hated skinnies and am glad there is something else now. I think they are uncomfortable and weird looking. Unflattering to many. Too temperature hot for me also. I have several pairs, of course, though.

• jill302
    last year

Young and thin, look good in almost anything. Although those shoes should only be worn by those who have no other options. For the others, we all have to make our fashion mistakes or just have outfits we look back on and laugh, ”what were thinking“.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

Not to be absolutely gross, but in Manhattan we tend to walk everywhere and probably half of my visits there I literally end up with bloody feet. So the giant, but broken-in puffy sneaker is looking better and better. I am back three days and Just now getting to the point where I can walk normally again. (Although this time I DID only wear sneakers and it was a bleeding feet visit..they were broken in, apparently just not enough)

• 3katz4me
    last year

Did someone say pleated pants are back in style?

• Irish2
    last year
  • nicole___
    last year

Around here...THIS is the look....I have the sweater, little boots...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Nicole, My girls like dusters, too. I just bought one at my hair salon, of all places. They have the cutest little gift shop and whoever does their buying totally gets me.

These pics totally explain why my camel hair coat was appropriated.

• barncatz
    last year

DD and I recently wandered through some Hudson Valley vintage clothing shops and she was enthralled with the wool jackets I associate with my 1980s young lawyer days, e.g. :

I did buy her a short vintage jacket that I thought was really cute. To my relief, she didn't end up with any of the ones that I had said "I owned that!!" when I saw them.

I've always wanted a camel coat. DH has a beautiful one he hasn't worn in years. Since baggy is part of the look, I may have to dig it, out but the wide pants and puffer sneaks are too fashionable for me.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Well, the 80’s are coming back! Here’s a pic from IG today that shows there is a version for everyone.

• salonva
    last year

well, it's less bad in this rendition. I guess that is a lot better actually. Still not calling my name.

• Allison0704
    last year

Saw this today on @the_bravo_chicks IG account.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

I have a camel blazer I have been holding onto. I may do a fashion show for myself today.

• User
    last year

I don't think the high-waisted jeans like Nicole posted above are flattering on most people. They certainly wouldn't be on me! I love the camel hair coat, but would wear it with a close-fitting sweater, skinny jeans and heeled boots. When wearing an oversized piece like that, I need a bit of height and other clothing that fits closer to the body to avoid feeling like a frump. I wouldn't even wear those white sneakers when walking for exercise -- I crave color and a bit of pizazz when it comes to the shoes I wear when running/walking.

• nicole___
    last year

Nike has blocky white sneakers, with air, and a light yellow swoosh I purchased for walking.....clunky without the Geeky velcro. I just can't get on board with "Geek"...I love high waisted jeans.....they stay on. :0)

• salonva
    last year

I think I agree with Ida- if wearing something really oversized, then the other pieces need to be more fitted. The photo of Kathy Hilton- has her wearing the belted ( fitted) coat and it looks like leggings to me.

On me, baggy pants and a big coat look like Omar the tentmaker is my designer.

ymmv. :)

• Tina Marie
    last year

Oversize clothing - no

white clunky tennis shoes - no

wide leg jeans - no

camel hair coat - no

I said no to the camel hair coat because I only wear a coat if absolutely necessary and I would not wear the color camel (it is not flattering to me at all). The slim style of some of the coats shown looks nice. The big oversize, no.

I like the outfit Nicole shared and would wear that. I love dusters.

• 3katz4me
    last year

I keep waiting for my high waist, pleated trousers to come back in style (along with long blazers and shoulder pads). Maybe the time is near. Sounds like I might already be good to go on the trousers.

• nekotish
    last year

My DD's and I saw this a lot when we stayed in downtown Vancouver a couple of weeks ago, but with one difference. Rather than sloppy flared pants, it was athletic "joggers" with a tightly cuffed ankle. Solid white runners, camelhair coat and designer purses.

• Sueb20
    last year

And almost none of this works if you’re short and chubby.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

From Feb this year, see trend survivor: http://trendsurvivor.com/classic-camel-coat-formula/

• salonva
    last year

The ones that look good ( or less awkward) to me, are the more fitted ones- such as Annie's link, and jojo's at Longwood.

I'm old, so the super oversized look that is way cool is lost on someone like me. I am sure the young'uns look superb and can carry it off well.

• nicole___
    last year

nekotish....I just purchased a pair of those joggers, for me, but I purchased them in the mens-ware section ....they looked comfortable. :0) I didn't know it was trending. Cool!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

Considering that the average adult female in America is 5'4" and about 165 lbs, that means you think this look is not good for the average woman? Men have it easy, they rarely consider having to compensate for perceived flaws.

• Sueb20
    last year

So true. My husband is so pleased with himself no matter what he’s wearing or how much he weighs.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I am really curious about the attraction to cropped jeans. They seem to be everywhere, especially cropped straight leg or "mom jeans". I'm not going to be trying any mom jeans with my hips but I am really tempted to try out some cropped skinny jeans. I usually buy long jeans and get everything hemmed, so I guess it would save me some hemming.

Also, to be clear, I'd say I try to dress stylishly for my figure but I am definitely not on trend or fashionable.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

If you are short, showing a little bit of sock or ankle helps: a long pant with a big break on the shoe just makes it look like your clothes are too big,

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Actually, I like the look. Maybe because I have always dressed sort of like that (without the white sneakers except in summer).

ETA deleted a comment that might have unintentionally hurt some feelings.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

@palimpsest ah ha! That makes total sense now. I have a cute petite friend and she looks great in ankle jeans. I'm about average, maybe appear slightly above average, so perhaps that's why my instincts say that the cropped look might not be right for me. Interestingly when I asked my petite friend's opinion on whether I could wear ankle jeans, she had a hard time picturing them working on me. Thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

As someone who went through childhood and a good deal of adulthood trying to avoid high waters, the cropped look is still a little unsettling to me but I have them.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I'm in the "no more than one oversized item per outfit" camp. If everything is oversized it just looks sloppy to me.

And I already have big feet - white platform sneakers = clown shoes in my size.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Another with big feet and when buying shoes, how small they make my feet look is a consideration. I just sent back some comfy, pretty booties because they were oversized.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida