SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Wow! Earrings a Fashion No No ?!

leahcate
13 years ago

Gee, I guess I'm a fashion leader! I've been wearing earrings less and less, to almost never on a daily basis. Today, I received a Nordstrom's catalog and a Loehman's ad. Not sure, but believe none of the models were wearing them...not a one! Not that I am an avid follower, but find it interesting. Has this been going on for some time, and I'm just now noticing?

Comments (46)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

My ears are pierced and I put my earrings in as soon as I get up in the morning. I NEVER go out without earrings; I feel naked without them.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I wear my earrings (and pantyhose) daily. ;) Ok, maybe without pantyhose. Just remembering the last fashion faux paus thread.

• Related Discussions

Another Fashion Alert : This One Thrills My Heart!

Q

Comments (2)
    Darn! This was supposed to be over in Conversations. How can I move it?
    ...See More

Cascade Fryer Boil Out...WOW, WOW, WOW :)

Q

Comments (24)
    Chlorinated Detergents are not so great for rubber dishwasher seals, admittingly. However.. they are not horrific. They we're used for decades in automatic dishwashers without problems, and I'd equally say that most machines made within the last 10 years are designed to handle corrosive, high PH detergent formulations. I have however noticed that there is a significant problem with GE & Hotpoint made machines though, concerning the Main Wash Dishwasher Detergent Cup leaking or allowing water to spray in, before the main wash cycle. Because of this, most if not all of the detergent is wasted, long before the actual wash cycle.. causing spotting & lackluster performance. I correlate this problem with the the fact that most detergents are now made with Higher PH's due to lack of cleaning agents, and substitutes for Chlorine, which may be too much for the very poorly designed rubber seal seated around the interior of the cup. Despite this... GE's engineers say it's not a concern, and they believe dishes will come out "adequately clean" for consumers.
    ...See More

Thank you all for the fashion help!

Q

Comments (29)
    Peppa, the dress is by Eliza J. I got mine from Lord & Taylor. It runs pretty true to size and I think it was $180.
    ...See More

Fashion friends: Would you wear a necklace with this dress?

Q

Comments (60)
    If this is still relevant, I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm delighted with your choice of dress – that color is absolutely beautiful! As for the necklace, I totally agree it's superfluous here, and those dangly earrings could be a perfect complement. The first option would be amazing for your image! I share your passion for jewelry, and I always find a reason to treat myself to a new piece. Speaking of which, I recently got a stunning Name Necklace Official, and I'm absolutely delighted with it. It's such a unique and exclusive item and it pairs perfectly with my favorite dress, which is definitely a plus!
    ...See More
  • natal
    13 years ago

My ears are pierced, but I stopped wearing earrings 10-15 years ago.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I'm not a big jewelry kind of gal, but can't go without my earrings (my everyday are diamond studs from DH, have 2 sizes). But I missed being able to wear my delicate, simple dangle earrings. So I got extra holes put in my head, ha! 3 sets per ear, all on the lobe area, not rimming my ear. For a long time I wore smallest studs at the top, then larger in middle, then dangles. Now I only usually wear two pair, studs at top, dangles on bottom. (Not as gaudy as it sounds, I prefer fine wires and delicate beads, natural stone or silver designs. Not into big/gaudy.) I wear them 24/7.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

pearl studs for me.still waiting on those diamonds.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I own one pair of earrings. Saltwater pearl studs with a 14K bezel. Last time I went to wear them, I couldn't find my holes, it's been so long. I just stuck them back in my drawer. I am a sorry excuse of a jeweler's wife. I bet I own less jewelry than most people.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm making up for you golddust....way too many to count. Hundreds.
    No, they are not out. Never will be although styles change, of course.

• johnmari
    13 years ago

Earring wearer here too, but normally just small studs/rings (definitely not "poodle hoops"!). I admit to a love for funky little Edwardian-period antique earrings from estate jewelers. I haven't worn big earrings since the 1980s. I currently have two on each earlobe - they'll close enough to need to be re-punched in a few days, so I leave simple little post earrings in pretty much all the time.

Glanced at a couple of websites touting the "jewelry trends for fall/winter 2010" and it went along with what I was seeing in stores when I had to shop for a few things for a recent funeral - PLENTY of earrings, especially chandelier style, big chunky necklaces and bracelets or smaller ones layered on several at a time, and I saw a lot of those enormous brooches. Lots of, what do they call it, "statement" jewelry?

• natal
    13 years ago

Golddust, my mother had tons of jewelry ... mostly costume. She was always decked. Even if she didn't leave the house she wore earrings and a necklace. She went so far as to specify what she wanted to wear for her funeral. I was happy to oblige. I sure didn't get her jewelry genes. The only thing I wear is my wedding ring.

• User
    13 years ago

:) In or out, I have 10 holes in my ears.

Thick, medium size, white gold hoops in front, diamonds next, small silver balls in the next two sets, & one ear is pieced twice along the top and a twisted stainless ring is through both - think the metal spiral on a notebook. I don't take any of them out, ever.

• teacats
    13 years ago

No holes in ears at all here ever!! .... so I wear vintage fun old-fashioned clamp earrings -- when I do -- and not very often!

Jan

• les917
    13 years ago

I am never without earrings. I have a pair of thick, wide hoops that are white gold on one half, yellow on the other, and I wear those 24/7 as my default earrings.

I have a second set of holes in my earlobes which I use less often, tho I do have a tiny pair of CZ studs in them at the moment.

I do change earrings pretty frequently, probably 3 days a week, to compliment outfits.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I lost a small diamond stud many years ago, so my holes have closed off and I never wore earrings again. I wear funkier necklaces so earrings would be overkill.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

No piercings (or tattoos) here, either, but I do wear clip earings whenever I'm not in the house. I can't imagine they're out of style, but maybe the chandelier types are on their way.

I hate the no-hose look on anyone. The youngest, most beautiful legs and feet benefit from sheer hose, IMO. It certainly can't be the "struggle" of putting them on, considering the amount of primping it takes to get legs and feet shaved, creamed, pumiced, painted, tanned, etc., every single time you go out, whether to the grocery, the office, or a formal gala. Not a look I can appreciate, and in winter it looks downright ridiculous! I love watching the glamorous anchors in New York showing their bare legs (and cleavage) on TV in January. Makes me really want to take them seriously.

• natal
    13 years ago

I don't take any of them out, ever.

When do you clean them?

• sedeno77
    13 years ago

I feel naked without mine! I have short hair and wear my diamond studs or very small diamond hoops.

• User
    13 years ago

Natal - I guess never was a stretch. I was mainly just trying to say I shower, sleep, swim, etc. in them. It's very rare they come out for a cleaning though. I use hairspray daily so they never really shine to the fullest. I clean behind my ears with a washcloth daily. The only way the top two will come out is if I need to for a medical reason. My hair covers my ears most of the time because of how it's cut. If I had short hair where my ears were out, I'd wear fun, funky earrings in the first holes.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I first had my ears pierced when I was 9, so I've always worn earrings. I tried to get second holes, but I have little lobes and additional piercings go into the cartilege which hurts too much, so I can't keep them open.

I tend to wear larger earrings. Chandeliers have always been a fave, even when out of style, they're still part of my signature style. I like to wear statement jewelry, definitely. Little studs just aren't me. DH bought me some diamond studs, but I never wear them, they're just too delicate for me.

I like to wear multiple necklaces at a time, big chunky stuff, and when I do that, I downsize my earrings to smaller or less intrusive. When I wear my hair up, however, I always go for the big showy ones.

Just about the only time I don't wear earring is when I'm working around the house. I even wear them when I go out into the field!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have one hole in each ear and I suppose this is one of those things I am particular about, but I always wear earrings out. If the necklace is dramatic, I'll wear small studs but even with statement necklaces I want something.

At home, I usually look like a homeless person.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I just perused the latest copy of Chico's catalog...and there may have been 2 or 3 pictures where the model wasn't wearing earrings.
    Earrings have been in style for more than 100 years and it's not likely they are becoming passe now.
    Linda C

• johnmari
    13 years ago

cooper, you wanna laugh? I was recently complimented on "those beautiful diamond earrings" I was wearing. They were $25 cubic zirconia (and the $25 was because they were "custom made" with screw-post bezel settings by my favorite jeweler). I just about blew my drink out my nose trying not to crack up. I would wager that the number of folks out there who could tell a diamond from a CZ by eye is pretty darn small, so if you just want some sparklies to wear don't hold out. Now if it's because you must have DIAMONDS for the sake of their being diamonds, well, that's your own baggage. *big grin*

I'm too heavyset for really delicate little things but it just looks like I'm trying way too hard if I wear big or flashy jewelry.

• deegw
    13 years ago

Hubby got me some big, honkin diamond studs for my 40th birthday. I would rarely wear them because I felt they were ostentatious. Finally about three years ago (I'm 48), I started using them as my every day earrings. I guess if they go out of style I'll just look like an old lady.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I'm with Allison...I have to wear professional clothes 6 days a week, so it's earrings and hose!!
    On Saturdays, jeans and a tee shirt are as good as it gets :^)

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I almost always wear earrings. I rarely wear any other jewelry except my wedding bands.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, darn! No one has answered my question:
    " Has this been going on for some time, and I'm just now noticing?"
    I will hazard a guess that it is a brand new trend that may be smokin' hot for fall within the fashion-forward market (sorry,Chico's doesn't fall into this category). I also predict ( just read all of your 'love my earrings' replies!) it will be short-lived. Has anyone seen the fall Vogue? As an only-occasional wearer, I have little concern either way, but found all those bare lobes verrrry interesting. Someone is obviously attempting a trend, but isn't it odd that the trend leads to a purchase void! It's usually begun for the opposite effect.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I know. All you got here was a confessional. What else did you expect? LOL!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

leahcate, now that you mention it, it does seem like earrings are less popular than before, but it's obvious that's it's not a fashion no no...... they are classic except the large clasp styles perhaps?

Brooches seem to really have fallen out of favor for a long time; I remember collecting and wearing them in the 80's, I kept a small boxful of brooches given to me as gifts.
    It seems to me that they were popular at the same time as big shoulder pads and so were big earrings.

The thick fall issue of Vogue is one I buy, the ads and the copy usually are a good indication of current trends, some I embrace and some I avoid.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I wear earrings, but not all of the time. Right now with my hair shorter - I do wear them more often. I love unique earrings. I always wear a wire type earring - hate posts. I do have diamond studs (a gift), but actually don't wear them often as I'm not a diamond kind of gal LOL.

tina

• jay06
    13 years ago

I'm guessing the lack of earrings on models is a way to keep the focus on the clothes or shoes or whatever else is being featured in the photographs.

• User
    13 years ago

"In or out, I have 10 holes in my ears."

I guess I didn't clearly answer the question. I don't think they're out. Earrings have been around forever and like mentioned above it would make more sense if they pushed a different look of earring vs. none. They won't make any sales that way.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Leacate, haven't noticed this trend. The Nordstrom models are so stunning they don't need face-framing jewelry, I guess! As for me, this lily needs gilding. Can't imagine a day without earrings! Have had pierced ears since I was 5 years old. I usually like something with a dangle or a drop. Seldom wear studs. Love hoops. Love silver. This summer have gotten into color coordinating earrings and necklaces with my tops.

Try it Leahcate...you may be surprised what a lift earrings can give your face and your whole outfit!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I got curious so googled. Check this out, from Elle. If you click on any fashion under "The Latest" (fall, 2010) it will show the clothing, then a row of potential accessories to go with it. Unless my browser has gone wonky, they show shoes, a bag, a necklace etc. with each but I see nary a single pair of earrings in any accessory for any outfit.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Cooper, you can have my diamonds. lol. I'm like Natal, I stopped wearing earrings years ago. In fact, I don't think I've even worn my diamond earrings my dh bought me one year!

For 20 years I wore one pair, 24/7, simple, thin and small gold hoops.

Unfortunately as I've gotten older my earlobes are expanding, so I don't want to bring attention to them. lol

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, Moonshadow, & those models look about 14! The skin, the hair, the figures! They'd look fantastic with or without earrings...or makeup... or clothing, for that matter!

However, I know the OP is inquiring about trends, so that's going to be a helpful link for her.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Try it Leahcate...you may be surprised what a lift earrings can give your face and your whole outfit!"
    I know Ms.gardener! When I was a little girl my mother would dab a touch of lipstick to her earlobes when not wearing earrings. She said 'it makes your eyes shine". If that's true, then earrings must be even better! With my hair newly very short, I appreciate them even more. Still, I had(as have most of my friends) come to wear them less and less, and I don't know why. I will put them on, check the mirror, and feel a bit uncomfortably over-dressed. I have no idea why. This would not be the case, I'm sure,if I wore small studs.
    moon, thanks for that link. I began this post simply because I found it strange and interesting that the retailing world would push a trend that sells nothing. Or: did the mavens pick up on this from women on the coasts, who are, traditionally, the trend makers. I'm no fashionista, but am on the coast and seeing far fewer earrings. Ah well, won't last long, I'm sure.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Well, I don't give a hoot what the fashion police say, as they're so fickle and flighty anyway . . . I love earrings and plan on wearing them forever. These days, I tend to prefer hoops or drops, as opposed to studs. Love them all!
    Lynn

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Yes, Moonshadow, & those models look about 14! The skin, the hair, the figures!

I would venture more than a few of those models are 14. :-) Going sideways on that note, have you seen the pics kicking around of the younger Jenner daughter, of the Kardashian clan? (Apologies for the celebrity 'rag mag' type link, quick google & grabbed the first one with pics of her.) She's a beautiful young girl, no doubt, but made up to look far older than her 14 years. (Isn't twenty-something nearing the end of their prime years for many types of models?) BTW, I checked, unless her hair is covering them in those pics she's not wearing any earrings, either, lol.

Oh well, I agree with you leahcate, it's a trend that won't last. Far too much $$ in it, and the name of the game is revenue.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Wow, Moonshadow, those pics are amazing. She is a beauty, but those photos are incredibly inappropriate.

Are women of any age ever considered beautiful anymore unless they are flaunting their sexuality for all the world to see?

I'm sure this girl feels special & outstanding because of her image, but what she doesn't understand, & what her parents evidently don't care about, is that the men gazing at her photos today, will be on to pics of Miley or other young females, tomorrow. She's the flavor of the month, (or week, or day). In essence, she's reduced to an object. How parents can allow that, much less promote it, is beyond me.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Yes, sg, I have a niece her age, so can see the heat and debate those pics have caused. (Here's what her dad Bruce had to say.)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Watched the video of "Dad," Moonshadow.

I can only say that if she were my daughter, no matter how gorgeous, maybe especially if she were quite gorgeous, she'd be volunteering at the soup kitchen & the hospital & she'd have a list of books to read (from me, not school) & we'd be discussing the flood in Pakistan, & the earthquake in Haiti.

I know all girls love the fantasy of being a model. But as their parent, as an adult who knows better, you lead them by the hand into more substantial turf. You teach them that their value does not reside in their physical appearance, even if they happen to be stunning. You guide them to have an interest in the world & to see that it does not revolve around them.

Any 14 yr. old is self-centered. At this stage of her development, encouraging so much focus on her looks & on externals, will probably result in her growing up to be a very narcissistic person who has little empathy for others.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Mitchdesi I love a big pretty brooch on a coat in the winter or even on a blue jean jacket. I even have a big rineshone spider I wear during Halloween and I get so many compliments.

I think hoop earrings look really cute on women or girls that have long hair, mine is short short. And I only wear earrings when I get dressed up, I just forget is all.

I don't care for the fashion police.

....Jane

• User
    13 years ago

I look at a good many fashion mags, catalogs, etc. The models, especially in catalogs, often don't wear earrings - it has been this way as long as I can remember. I don't think I've ever seen earrings in a Victoria's Secret catalog. I would guess that maybe it has something to do with keeping the focus on the clothes, or copyright issues, or who knows what, but I don't think it is a new trend, I honestly believe earrings will never, ever be "out". I would be willing to bet these gals rarely go out in 'real life' without earrings. Just as an example, do a "google images" search for Gisele Bundchen...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

One reason you don't see them in catalogs is because the catalogs need to have for sale everything shown. They'll get inquiries...

• johnmari
    13 years ago

Not so, bumblebeez. They're not required to have everything depicted available to purchase; it's acceptable to, say, show a complete outfit with accessories and shoes, but the only thing you can actually buy is (example) the skirt and blouse. Sure they'll get inquiries but they're politely brushed off - "sorry, those were the model's own shoes/hat/whatever" or "oh, those were out of the photographer's prop room". I know, I've gotten that brush-off. :-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

They don't have to, but it's better not to offend customers..I used to call Pottery Barn about accessories that were not for sale (and paint colors) and have noticed over the years how that has greatly changed. Most things are for sale and the paint colors are available.
    It does tick me off to see a model wearing a pair of shoes unavailable...

• Olychick
    2 years ago

j. taylor, why would you resurrect an 11 year old thread to post your spam? Someone else please flag this so it disappears

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County