SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

When life gives you runny yogurt . . . make pecan waffles!

l pinkmountain
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hubs makes our yogurt and this last batch turned out very runny. Finally caught some Anthony Bourdain on tv last night and figured out what the big deal was about him . . . but that's another post. Meanwhile, he visited a Waffle House with a local Charleston chef and the shots of them making pecan waffles got me craving them. I was supposed to thaw out french bread last night for french toast this morning but I fell asleep and forgot to get up and take the bread out of the freezer. So this morning I made pecan waffles instead, and they were absolutely fabulous. Posting the recipe below.

Notes:

I subbed runny yogurt for the buttermilk. You can sub yogurt, powdered buttermilk or soured milk interchangeably in the recipe.

I also halved the salt, that's the way we roll, low salt.

I had two bags of pecans in the freezer unbeknownst to me, one had gotten buried. One was "pecan chips" and one was "pecan pieces." I didn't use the optional 1/2 cup of ground pecans that the recipe called for, I just toasted 1/3 cup of the small chips in the oven and then added them to the batter, and then sprinkled some of the pieces on top of the waffles in the iron before closing it. Was just the right amount of pecan flavor and texture.

I also subbed 1/4 cup of oat bran for 1/4 cup of the flour, and soaked it with the wet ingredients before adding the dry. Tossed the pecans with the flour before adding too.

These are GREAT with sliced bananas on top. Would be good with other fresh fruits too, or even cranberry sauce . . .

The recipe credits King Arthur Flour but I could not easily find this recipe on their web site.

https://younggoodsandeats.com/buttermilk-pecan-waffles/

Buttermilk Pecan Waffles

Ingredients

• 2 large eggs
  • 1¾ cups buttermilk
  • ½ cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ cup pecan meal (grind pecans finely) optional
  • ¼ cup pecans, chopped optional

Instructions

• In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
  • In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; combine the wet and dry ingredients just until smooth.
  • Spray the waffle iron with a nonstick cooking spray before preheating it. For an 8" waffle iron, use about ⅓ cup batter. Cook 2-3 minutes until the iron stops steaming.

Notes

Waffles are best served right away, as soon as they come off of the iron. To serve waffles all at once, heat oven to 200 degrees and place a sheet pan with a cooling rack inside, place cooked waffles on the sheet pan until enough waffles are ready for your breakfast table.

Comment (1)