SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #25 Cream Cheese

ann_t
11 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Cookalong #25 --------- Cream Cheese
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 13:03

Clair_de_luna has picked our next focus ingredient:

CREAM CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many things I have made over the years using cream cheese, I can hardly wait to see the favorite recipes everyone posts. It's one of those basic things I keep on hand all the time.

This ingredient will be our focus until April 18!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #24-------PASTA!
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #25 --------- Cream Cheese

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 13:21

I've made this three times in the past week because DH smoked a ton of steelhead. Everyone who tried it raved about it so I made extra batches to send home with them.

Smoked Salmon Dip

6 oz smoked salmon (drained if you are using canned - and I'm sure I use more than 6 oz of fresh smoked salmon)
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 package powdered ranch dressing mix

Mix well and grab the crackers!

Good on bagels or celery sticks too.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 14:08

Yum, Angela, I had nearly the same thing for Easter, but I used smoked salmon that Elery smoked from the last salmon filet in the freezer from last summer's fishing trip.

Steelhead is pretty strong, so just about the only way I really like it is smoked.

Annie

o

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 14:15

Good choice Kathy. I make this often when an appetizer is called for. I makes a large amount so I halved the recipe for anyone interested.

Cognac Dream Fruit Dip

12 ounces cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar, unsifted
7 ounces marshmallow creme
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons cognac

Half Recipe

6 ounces cream cheese
½ cup confectioners sugar, unsifted
4 ounces marshmallow crème
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cognac (optional, but I use more than 1 tbls)

In small bowl of electric mixer, cream the cheese until soft and smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until well-blended. Add the sour cream and the rest of the ingredients. Blend just until well-combined. Cover and chill several hours before serving with apples, pears, strawberries.

o

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 14:45

I haven't made this recipe in a few years and now that I'm thinking about it, I think it's about time to make it again!

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding Cheesecake

8 slices stale or toasted French bread
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 cup sugar
3 T. lemon juice
1 t. grated lemon peel

Toppings:

Strawberry jam and sour cream OR Fresh strawberry slices, sour cream and chopped pecans

In a 9 x 13" buttered casserole, place bread slices in one layer. Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the next 6 ingredients until blended. Evenly pour mixture over the bread slices and allow to stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, or until casserole is puffed and golden.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream with fresh sliced strawberries or strawberry jam.

Serves 8

Nancy

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 16:40

Oh, I can feel my jeans getting tighter just thinking about what I'll find on this cookalong thread! LOL

On that note, I'll share a recipe from Weight Watchers. This is really good because it is not overly sweet. Just right for a light breakfast, or top with fruit for dessert.

Cheese Blintz

3/4c plus 3T flour
1/4c sugar
2-1/2tsp double-acting baking powder
1/8tsp salt
3 large eggs
1/2c butter or margarine
1/4c skim milk (I use 2%)
2-1/2c part skim ricotta cheese
8oz cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1/4c sugar
3T fresh lemon juice
1tsp grated lemon zest
1tsp grated orange zest
dash salt

Preheat oven to 300F, spray 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray-set aside.

To prepare batter, in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter and milk until just blended. (Do not overmix)
To prepare filling, in separate large bowl, with electric mixer on low speed, combine remaining ingredients until blended.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Gently pour filling on top, being careful not to mix layers.. pour remaining batter over cheese mixture. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until golden brown and set. let stand 10 minutes before cutting, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be served chilled or at room temperature.)
Makes 10 servings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another good one, it's from Cooking Light.

Raspberry-Cream Cheese Muffins
2/3 cup (5 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add vanilla, egg whites, and egg; beat well.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and buttermilk to cream cheese mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Gently fold in raspberries and walnuts.

Place 24 foil cup liners in muffin cups. Spoon batter evenly into liners. Bake at 350° 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans; cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 muffin)

CALORIES 142 (32% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 2.4g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 138mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.6g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2003

Linda

o

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 16:54

Well, here's the recipe I was going to use for the cream cheese. I had planned to make it for Easter, but didn't get around to it.

Junior’s No. 1 Pure Cream Cheesecake

Thin Sponge Cake Layer:
½ cup sifted cake flour
1 t. baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 extra-large eggs, separated
1/3 cup plus 2 T sugar
1 t. pure vanilla extract
3 drops lemon extract
3 T unsalted butter, melted
¼ t. cream of tartar

The Junior’s Way " Watch this cake carefully while itâs baking. Thereâs not much batter, so it needs only about ten minutes of baking (16 minutes by my calculations!) â"only enough time for the cake to turn light golden and set on the top. The cake should not brown on top (but make sure it's done, so it will support the weight of the cheesecake.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter a 9-nch springform pan. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.

Beat the egg yolks together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high, for 3 minutes. Then, with the mixer still running, gradually add the 1/3 cup of sugar and continue beating until thick light-yellow ribbons form in the bowl, about 5 minutes more. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extracts.

Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand until no more white flecks appear. Then blend in the butter.

In a clean bowl, using clean dry beaters, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining 2 T. sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites should stand up in stiff peaks, but not be dry). Stir about 1/3 cup of the whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remaining whites (donât worry if a few white specks remain).

Gently spoon the batter into the pan. Bake the cake just until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched, 15-20 minutes; watching carefully!) 16 minutes seemed about right. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack while you continue making the cheesecake filling. Do not remove the cake from the pan.

1 recipe Thin Sponge Cake Layer for Cheesecake

For the Cream Cheese Filling:
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1-2/3 cups sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 T. pure vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs
¾ cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter a 9-inch springform pan. Make the batter for the sponge cake as the recipe directs. Evenly spread the batter on the bottom of the pan, and bake until set and golden. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool (do not remove it from the pan).

While the cake cools, make the cream cheese filling: Place one 8-ounce package of the cream cheese, ½ cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, then beat in the remaining 3 packages of cream cheese.

Increase the mixer speed to high and beat in the remaining 1-1/2 cups of the sugar; beat in the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating the batter well after adding each one. Blend in the heavy cream. At this point, mix the filling only until completely blended (just like they do at Juniorâs). Be careful not to over-mix the batter.

Gently spoon the cheese filling on top of the baked sponge cake layer. Place the springform pan in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes about 1 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake the cheesecake until the center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, about 1 hour.

Cool the cake on a wire rack for 1 hour. Then cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until itâs completely cold, at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Slide the cake off of the bottom of the pan onto a serving plate. Or if you wish, simply leave the cake on the removable bottom of the pan and place it on a serving plate. If any cake is left over, cover it with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

o

Posted by omac ) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 17:11

This is one of my favorite recipes. Sometimes I'll add sliced mushrooms, cut up cauliflower, grated cheese and a little bit of thinly sliced green onion. Great finger food for a girls night of bunco.

2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Place 'n Bake⢠refrigerated crescent rounds or Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup small fresh broccoli florets
1/3 cup quartered cucumber slices
1 plum (Roma) tomato, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup shredded carrot
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll both cans of dough; separate dough into 4 long rectangles. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust. If using dough sheets: Unroll both cans of dough. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust.
3. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, dill and garlic powder until smooth. Spread over crust. Top with vegetables. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.

o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 17:15

Oh my...mix it with pasta for a sinful and yummy meal...add garlic and some grated parm and a handfull of chopped parsley.
Doesn't that qualify for 2 threads?

o

Posted by trixietx (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 17:22

We had this for Easter and it was so good.
I love anything with cream cheese in it.

Best Grape Salad
================
2 lbs green seedless grapes
2 lbs red seedless grapes
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, to taste
Topping Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar, packed, to taste
1 cup crushed pecans, to taste

Wash and stem grapes.
Set aside.
Mix sour cream, cream cheese, white sugar and vanilla by hand until
blended.
Stir grapes into mixture, and pour in large serving bowl.
For topping: Combine brown sugar, and crushed pecans.
Sprinkle over top of grapes to cover completely.
Chill overnight.

Servings: 15

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 17:32

Here is one of my favourites. This recipe makes four large danish or...........

you can make individual Danish.

Cream Cheese Danish Coffee Cake
===============================
Source: Home Cooking Magazine

1 c sour cream
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1 t. salt
2 packages dry yeast (4 1/2 t.)
1/2 c warm water
2 eggs beaten
4 c all purpose flour

Over low heat in a small saucepan, heat butter, sour cream , sugar and salt until
warm and sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Mix sour cream mixture with yeast and add beaten eggs and flour. Will be a
very soft dough. Put in fridge overnite to rise. (May be done same day. Put
in fridge for about 2 to 4 hours, and then proceed.
Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 6 or 7 times. Divide
dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece out to 12 X 8 inches.
Spread 1/4 of filling on to each piece and roll jellyroll style from long
side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on buttered baking
sheet and cut X's in top. (About 6 X's) (Danish should be slightly flatten, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.

Cover and let rise until about
double in size -approximately 1 hour Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or
until golden. Let cool on wire racks,

Filling
2 packages 8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
1 egg beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt

Filling: To make filling beat together cream cheese with sugar, add egg and
vanilla extract and salt

Glaze
2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 c milk
1 t. vanilla extract
toasted sliced almonds.

Combine the first 3 ingredients for
glaze and drizzle over loaves with toasted almonds

o

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 19:45

Well, this thread wouldn't be complete without this old standby from the 60s?, 70s? EVERYONE made it & really increased the use of cream cheese. The recipe I had cut out of a magazine specified brand names: Borden Eagle Brand, ReaLeamon, Johnson's pie crust. I'll post again later, but wanted to get this one in. :)

Cheery Cherry Cheese Pie

8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 c lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla exract
14-oz can cherry pie filling, chilled

In medium bowl, eat cream cheese until fluffy.
Add condensed milk, blend thoroughly.
Stir in lemon juice & vanilla.
Pour into crust. Chill 3 hours or until firm.
Top with desired amount of pie filling. Serve immediately or chill again until ready to serve.

o

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 20:11

Oooo all sound delicious but think I am going to try the smoked salmon cream cheese dip posted by Angela. I have a pack of smoked salmon that I don't know what to do with (no one likes smoked salmon at home). I will try to make the dip to go with some crackers and fresh bread. Sounds delicious! Thanks!

Al

o

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 21:01

I'll admit to loving and still making that famous dip with Lipton's Onion Soup Mix...salt, chemicals, and who knows what else. This recipe from Ina is wonderful and is a huge favorite with my group. It's as close as I've come to duplicating the mix recipe....I think it's better even though I still like the mix too for a fast fix.

Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Ingredients

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Directions
Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

Note: I chop the onions up now because I didn't care for the long strings of onions while dipping.

David

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 7:19

Pennsylvania has the highest per capita consumption of both dried beef and pretzels of any state in the U.S., so this dip easily won a blue ribbon for a "Taste of PA" competition at our state Farm Show.

BEEFY PRETZEL DIP

8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 Tbs. crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 to 3 tsp. horseradish
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
¼ cup finely chopped dried beef
1 bag of pretzel sticks

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, blue cheese, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. horseradish and pepper until smooth. Taste and add the additional teaspoon of horseradish, if needed. Stir in dried beef. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before the game and remove to let dip come to room temperature. Serve with pretzel sticks for dipping. Makes about 1 cup

Note: Recipe can be doubled or tripled without any modification.

Photobucket

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 7:45

This is an absolute favorite in my house and my neighbor begs me to make it for her Birthday every year. Thanks Diane for posting this FAB recipe, it has been a hit every time I've made it.

Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

From Diane on the CF

2 1/2 C. Flour
3/4 + 1/2 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Butter
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 C. Sour cream
1 + 2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Almond extract
8 oz. Cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 C. Seedless raspberry preserves
Grease and flour (or spray with Pam) bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
Combine flour and ¾ cup sugar.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
Reserve 1 cup of crumbs and set aside for topping.
To crumb mixture in bowl, add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, 1 egg, and almond extract - blending well. Will be thick and lumpy.
Spread batter in prepared pan.
For *filling, combine cream cheese, ½ C. sugar, and 2 eggs and pour over batter in pan.
Gently spoon preserves over cheese filling.
Sprinkle reserved cup of crumb over all.
Bake at 350° for 70 - 80 minutes, or until cheese filling is set and cake is golden.
Cool at least 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. Serve warm or cool.

o

Posted by janet_ks (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 9:48

We also like this filling as a cracker spread.

Crab Rangoon
1-1/2 pounds cream cheese
1/2 pound crab
6 green onions
2 to 3 teaspoons garlic powder
A few tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
Won Ton wrappers
Allow cream cheese to soften. Mince green onion and crab. Throw everything together and mix well. Place spoonful of mixture on wrapper, moisten edges with a dab of water and pull up corners. Pinch sides to seal and deep fat fry until golden brown.

o

Posted by craftyrn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 9:54

Couple of easy appetizers:

Mix soft cream cheese ( the commercial one with chives works well ) with a bit of prepared horseradish, spread over thin slices of genoa salami, roll up , cut in half on a diagonal.

Cover a brick of cream cheese with a good mango chutney, good with apple wedges for scooping or a sturdy sesame seed cracker.

o

Posted by jimster (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 10:21

CLAM CHIP DIP

1 can minced clams (6.5 oz.)
1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz.)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mash cream cheese with a fork, adding broth from the clams a little at a time until combined.

Mix in the clams and garlic powder.

Serve with potato chips.

Most recipes for this include items such lemon juice, chili sauce, Tobasco sauce or worcester sauce. I like the plain version best which allows the flavor of the clams to speak for itself. Add salt if you wish, but remember that both the clams and the chips are salty.

Jim

o

Posted by tracey_oh (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 11:14

I love cream cheese! I've made several of the recipes above and loved them including the onion dip, the coffee cake, and the grape salad. One of these days I will get around to making Ann's cream cheese danish. This is one of my mom's recipes from back in the day and it's still one of my favorites. If you are not a fan of cool whip, just whip up some real cream with a bit of powdered sugar and use that instead of the cool whip. Ive made it both ways and they both taste great.

Fruit In Crust Pie

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup fruit preserves
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and butter. Mix until crumbly.
3.Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture, set aside. With remaining crumbs, pat onto bottom and sides of 9 inch pie pan.
4.Spread fruit preserves over unbaked crust and top with reserved crumb mixture.
5.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
6.In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla, milk and confectioners sugar. Blend until smooth. Fold in the whipped topping. Spoon into baked pie crust. Store in refrigerator

fruit in crust raspberry pie

o

Posted by jimster (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 12:12

Gorgeous photo, tracey. That looks like a wonderful pie.

Jim

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 12:21

Here's another that I forgot about.

Free Image Hosting at

Fruit Pizza

Crust:
1-1/2c flour
1/4c sugar
1/4c butter
1/4c cooking oil
3T cold water

Mix and press into 11 inch circle on pizza pan. Bake 12-14 minutes at 375F

Sauce:
6oz cream cheese
1/4c sugar
1/2tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth and spread on crust

Strawberries, Kiwi, Grapes, Peaches, Pineapple, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc.
Arrange your choice of fruits on top of sauce.

Glaze:
1T cornstarch
1T water
1/4c fruit juice (any)
3T powdered sugar

Whisk all ingredients together in small saucepan, bring to boil stirring constantly. Spread over fruit, chill well. Cut in wedges or squares to serve.

Linda

o

Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 22:32

At least half of the appetizer recipes I have saved & repeat have cream cheese; it probably ought to be tattooed on my stomach. There's always the so good artichoke/spinach/cream cheese among many others, but the following appetizer is different & a favorite of mine. If I have posted it before, mea culpa.

Asparagus Rolls
Yield: 75

25 fresh asparagus spears
salt to taste
25 slices thin white bread
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 oz blue cheese, softened
1 egg
3/4 lb butter, melted

Trim asparagus spears to same length as bread slices. Place on platter, cover with plastic wrap & microwave on High 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse immediately in cold water until spears have cooled. Pat dry with paper towel.
Remove crusts from bread (save crusts for another use) & flatten slices with a rolling pin.
Combine cheeses & egg thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly over bread slices.
Place an asparagus spear on each slice & roll up. Dip in melted butter to coat all sides.
Place on cookie sheet & freeze until ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut frozen rolls into thirds & bake, still frozen, for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.

And to get out of the appetizer category, there is always Party Potatoes, the wonderful substitue for mashed potatoes that can even be done a day ahead.

Party Potatoes
8-10 servings

2 to 2 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
1 c sour cream
8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
4 Tbsp butter
1/3 c chopped chives or green onions
salt & pepper to taste
additional butter
paprika

Boil potatoes until tender.
Beat sour cream & cream cheese together.
Add hot potatoes & beat until smooth.
Add butter, chives/green onions & salt & pepper to taste.
Pour into well-greased 2-qt casserole, dot with butter & sprinkle paprika on top. If making a day ahead, refrigerate.
Remove potatoes from refrigerator about 45 minutes before baking.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 23:04

I'll bet I have a ton of recipes with cream cheese also. Here are a couple:

PATSYâS CHEESE BALL

8 oz. cream cheese
1 Tblsp. mayonnaise
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 Tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 scallions, chopped
1 pkg. Buddig corned beef, diced
Finely chopped pecans or almonds

Mix all ingredients except nuts. Place in freezer to firm approximately 20-30 minutes. Plop into Saran wrap and form a ball. Roll in nuts. Keep refrigerated until serving.

SPINACH ONION & BACON DIP

1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 (8 oz. each) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 (5 oz.) pkg. shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Corn chips, Wheat Thins, or Triscuits

Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine all ingredients except chips/crackers in a medium bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve with chips and/or crackers.
Serves 12-15.

Dip may be made ahead up to 2 days ahead of time, covered, and refrigerated. Let stand 20 minutes before baking as directed.

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.

CREAM CHEESE CAKE MIX COOKIES

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 oz. (18.5) pkg. cake mix (use any flavor cake mix you like! personal fav: orange)

Cream butter and cheese. Blend in egg and vanilla. Add cake mix (dry) 1/3 at a time, mixing well after each addition. (If mixer is used, add last third by hand.) Cover, chill 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 375° F. Roll into balls by scant teaspoonfuls. Roll in confectionersâ sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet; flatten slightly. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.

Makes 6 to 8 dozen cookies.

o

Posted by beanthere_dunthat (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 23:19

Oh Kathleen, that cherry pie brings back memories. I must have been all of seven when I made that the first time. Haven't thought about it in years and years. I think it's the first dessert I ever made that I didn't screw up. LOL!

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 8:31

Made these for Easter dinner. Wow! It was really tasty!

LEMON CREAM CHEESE PIE

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
2-1/2 cups cold water
3 egg yolks, beaten
2/3 cup lemon juice, divided
1/8 tsp. salt
3 Tblsp. butter or margarine
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) lemon flavor instant pudding mix
2 pie shells (9-inch), baked and cooled
Whipped cream
Lemon slices

In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water, mixing until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and clear. Quickly stir in egg yolks. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice, salt, and butter. Cool for several hours or overnight. In a mixing bowl, blend condensed milk and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in pudding mix and remaining lemon juice. Fold in to chilled lemon filling. Divide and spoon into baked pie shells. Refrigerate for several hours. Garnish with whipped cream and lemon slices. Yield: 2 pies (12 to 16 servings).

**My notes: I made graham cracker crusts instead of pastry.

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 9:00

First of all Clair, I just want you to know you are evil, evil person for choosing this ingredient, one of my all time favorites and my dieting nemesis! Just kidding on the evil part, it is a FABULOUS idea. Your evilness is matched only by Ann T's cruelty for posting those gorgeous danish photos while I'm sitting here with coffee and nothing else for breakfast due to a bare cupboard. But I already knew Ann T was a food porn peddler! But I still LOVE her, lol!
But now Tracey OH comes along, Wow! What an unusual pie, gorgeous photo!
And of course all the other photos are yum yum too.
I have a cheesey bread pudding recipe I will post eventually when I get some spare time.
How about marscapone, does that count?

And then there's my "Dream Eggs" idea that I copied from a restaurant I used to frequent that served them. No set recipe, it is just scrambled eggs mixed with cubes of cream cheese that you add in just as the eggs are setting up. Season with Penzeys "Mural of Flavor" seasoning or maybe some chopped chives if you don't have that. Or plain is good too, lol! Dreamy.

o

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 9:14

Kathleen you also reminded me that in one of my very old recipe binders, I have a cutout from a magazine for another version of that Cheery Cherry Pie, this one called Cherry Breeze, because it's also a no bake pie. I dug out this old clipping and scanned it. It also gives brand names but I hope that's okay to print here seeing as the recipe and the named products were advertised nearly 40 years ago and are now considered vintage lol!

I remember making this as a slice in an oblong pan for a housewarming party and it was so (extremely rich) good that people were practically fighting for the last crumbs.
They were coming into the kitchen asking if there was any more of that slice!

I notice that the recipe gives quantity by weight for all except the condensed milk. But I think that was a 14 oz can.
Here's the clipping and the photo that went with it:

SharonCb

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 11:47

I have quite a few T & T recipes that contain Cream Cheese. I'll post a few more tonight.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Praline Cheesecake
==================
(Toronto Star Newspaper: 1981)

1-1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans toasted
1/4 cup butter melted
3 - 8 oz packages cream cheese
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk NOte: I used coffee cream
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup pecan halves toasted.

Caramel Sauce topping

1 cup corn syrup - dark
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tablespoon Brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla

. Combine graham crackers, sugar, pecans and stir in melted butter.
Press mixture over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9" ich
spring pan.

Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour and
vanilla. Add egss and beat until just blended. pour into crust. Bake
50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen sides and remove rim. Cool
completely. Arrange toasted pecans on top of cake decoratively.

Make Topping by combining corn syrup, cornstarch and brown sugar in a
small saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and
add vanilla.

To serve cake, Pour sauce over top and serve remaining sauce in a
pitcher at the table.

NOTE: I baked the cake in a Baine Marie. I wrapped foil around the
outside of the springform pan to prevent any water from seeping in to
the cake.

Nnte: I use my regular caramel sauce instead of the one mentioned
above:

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over Bread and butter pudding, apple pie and icecream, warm
gingerbread, etc..

Marbled Cream Cheese Brownies
=============================
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
4 tablespoons butter or margarine,
2 tablespoons butter

4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 eggs, divided
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons vanilla, divided.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
(more as needed)
. Preheat oven to 350°F Butter an 8-inch square pan. Melt chocolate and 4
tablespoons of the butter in small heavy saucepan over low heat; set
aside. Mix cream cheese with remaining 2 tablespoons butter in small
bowl. Slowly add ¼ cup of the granulated sugar, blending well. Add 1
egg, the 2 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla; set aside.
Beat remaining 2 eggs and ¾ cup granulated sugar in large bowl until
light. Add the baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Blend in
chocolate mixture, remaining 2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in walnuts or
pecans. Spread half of the chocolate mixture in prepared pan. Cover
with cream cheese mixture, then spoon remaining chocolate mixture over
the top. Swirl with knife or spatula to create a marbled effect. Bake
30 to 35 minutes or until set in center.
1)o not overbake. Meanwhile, prepare Icing. Cool brownies 5 minutes,
then spread icing evenly over the top. Cool completely in pan on wire
rack. Cut into 2-inch squares.

Makes 16 brownies

Icing

Combine chocolate chips, butter, milk in a bowl and melt in the
microwave. Stir until smooth and add vanilla. Add powdered sugar; beat
until glossy and easy to spread.

o

Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 12:25

Sharon, the style of your recipe & the brands are just about the same as the one I have. It's a classic. And did you notice the copyright date is 1973, which dates it for us. Thanks for scanning it!

Beanthere, it's still a good dessert. A friend of mine makes it about once a year, & my daughter does, occasionally.

o

Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 23:36

Lukshen or Lokshen Kugel
Ingredients
1 (1 lb) package noodles, cooked and drained
6 eggs, beaten
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 1/2 lbs cottage cheese (some of this could be sour cream or cream too)
1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce (can use cinnamon or otherwise flavored)
1 cup white raisins
1 1/2 cups sugar
nutmeg
cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted

Topping
frosted flakes, crushed (enough to cover kugel)
butter, melted (enough to moisten the flakes)

Directions
1 Mix drained noodles with eggs, cream cheese, cottage cheese, applesauce, raisins, sugar and spices.
2 Melt butter in a 9 x 13" baking dish.
3 Add noodle mixture.
4 Topping: Mix frosted flakes with enough butter to moisten.
5 Sprinkle on top of kugel.
6 Cover kugel with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
7 Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer checking frequently so top does not burn.
8 If it is getting to crisp on top, cover back up with foil till done.

The fruit part is flexible, you can use other dried fruits instead of the raisins, and other canned fruits instead of the applesauce. I've seen recipes with crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, fruit cocktail, cherry pie filling, canned blueberries, (which will make a yummy but greyish pudding, lol!)

You can also omit the cornflake topping, but then the top layer of noodles gets a little crusty, which isn't necessarily bad. You can also use wheat germ (I'd probably have to mix that with brown sugar) or matzoh meal for the topping. My Bubbe made hers sans topping, and sans raisins because my uber picky dad wouldn't eat them. She just topped it with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. And it did get a little crusty, lol!

o

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 23:59

This is my go to cheesecake recipe. I have both Sharon and Marilyn noted as the source..... Anyway, it is my go to recipe for cheesecake.

Cheescake Supreme

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
40 ounces cream cheese (5, 8 oz packages)
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 TBSP flour
grated rind of 1 lemon
grated rind of 1/2 orange
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whipping cream
Fruit and glaze (Directions follow)

Mix graham cracker crumbs sugar and melted butter. Butter a 10 inch springform pan. Press crumb mix into the bottom of the pan. Let the remainingg ingredients except cream come to room temp. Beat cheese until fluffy. Mix sugar and flour together and gradually mix into the cheese, beating mixture smooth. Mix in grated rinds. Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time beating well after each. Stir in cream. Pour over crust.

Cook in preheated 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 and cook for 1 hour ( NOTE: I always seem to have to cook it longer than this to get it to set properly, usually 1 1/2 hours) Remove from oven, place on rack away from drafts and cool. When cool refrigerate in pan until cold. Remove from pan and place on serving plate. Top with fruit and glaze and refrigerate until serving time.~

David

o

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 0:08

Tonight I made the smoked salmon cream cheese dip, posted by Angela, and it was very well received. So easy and so good. Even my picky husband loved it. Thanks!

Al

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 6:31

Is it just me, or do a lot of savory recipes with cream cheese in them seem retro? Some of the sweet ones, too. I remember a dessert the college cafeteria used to serve called Strawberry Pretzel. I haven't had it in years, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now, but back then I thought it was delicious. I won't post the recipe because everyone on the planet probably has it already. LOL!

Lpink, do you mean something like this from The Splendid Table? It is decadent. I don't much like tarragon, so I use dill or basil. I've also made it like an omelet with shredded chicken and minced broccoli with the cream cheese inside.

Luxury Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese and Spring Herbs
Serves 3 to 4

This is one place where a nonstick skillet makes life easier. Serve the eggs with a salad of tart greens (maybe the season's baby dandelions) and orange sections.

Ingredients:
1 large whole scallion, thin sliced
1/2 tight-packed tablespoon curly parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 tight-packed tablespoon fresh basil or tarragon leaves, chopped
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 ounces cream cheese, cut into about 3/4-inch pieces
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper as needed
2 tablespoons butter

Method:
1. Combine the chopped herbs. In a medium bowl, use a fork to loosely combine the eggs and cream. Stir in cream cheese, the herbs, and a little salt and pepper. Eggs do not have to be completely blended.
2. In a 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir with a spatula for a few seconds.
3. Lower heat to medium low and keep stirring, scraping up any egg sticking to the pan, for 3 minutes, or until large curds form. Eggs can be served almost wet, moist yet approaching firm (my preference), or quite firm. Serve hot.

LYNNE'S TIPS
⢠The freshest organic eggs make a big difference in this recipe. Cash in on local farmers' food if you can.
⢠For an extra-fancy presentation, borrow an old trick from French chef Michele Girard. Serve the eggs in their shells by carefully cutting away the top third of each shell, emptying out the egg, then sterilizing the shell in simmering water. Drain completely. Have egg cups handy. Stuff the hot eggs into the shells, mounding them high. Sprinkle with a little fresh herb for color and serve.

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 8:22

Oh yeah, now that you reminded me Bean, I think those dream eggs did have dill in them. I am not a tarragon fan either, it's something I want to like, since it is dead easy to grow in the garden, but I just don't like it. A teeny bit is OK, but I don't like tarragon flavored things.

Those eggs sound fabulous. I have to admit though, they would never be on the menu at my house, too rich. I think I'm splurging when I add neufatchel to my scrambled eggs!

Here's one recipe I make with cream cheese, althought the original calls for mascarpone. I have made it with mascarpone and with neufatchel, and of course it is best with mascarpone but good enough with neufatchel, which is what I use for cream cheese all the time, unless I am making cheesecake, which I don't make anyway.

Crostini di Mascarpone, Gorgonzila, e Nocciole
"Crostini with cheese and hazelnuts"
from "La Cucina Ebraica" by Joyce Goldstein

Serves 6

1/4 lb. mascarpone cheese (I eyeball it)
1/4 lb. gorgonzola dolcelatte cheese
1/4 lb. hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped (I have made with hazelnuts, but most often I make with toasted walnuts)
12 slices of coarse country bread, toasted or grilled

Combine the cheeses in a food processor. Add the nuts and pulse briefly. DO NOT OVERPROCESS or the great texture will be lost. Spread mixture on toasted bread and serve. Good with fresh pear or apple slices.

Note: to "peel" hazelnuts you have to toast them first, which I dunno, you do in a 300 degree oven for 10 min. or so, watching until they are done so they don't burn. Alternately you can put them in a skillet on top of the stove and "toast" on med. until they are brown, shaking the pan so they brown on all sides. Then, after the nuts have cooled, you wrap them inside a tea towel and scrunch/rub them around and the skins come off (some of the skins at least) and then you open up the towel and pick out the naked hazelnuts. I have only moderate success with this method but I dunno, look it up online maybe you'll find some better methods or tips. I personally don't mind a little hazelnut skin in my food!

Berry Good French Toast Bake
from Gold Medal Breakfast and Brunch pamphlet/cookbook

1/2 cup ap flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 TBLSP sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
6 eggs
10 slices 1 inch thick french bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
One 3 oz. package cream cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I use 3 oz. neufatchel)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I have made this with frozen berries, which are tasteless to me, but I did make it with canned blueberries, which I think do taste good, but that's just me. I've also made it with fresh. If making with frozen berries, might I suggest mixing them with a large dab of blueberry jam.)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts are what I have in my kitchen. I always toast first if I can)

Generously grease 2.5 quart casserole or baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Beat flour, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs in a large bowl with hand beater until smooth. Stir in bread cubes until coated.
Pour bread mixture into a pan. Top evenly with cream cheese, blueberries and nuts. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and tests done in the middle (eggs not runny). Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup.

Lpink's notes: I use lowfat versions of things with this strata, lowfat cream cheese (NOT nonfat, that's a waste of time), lowfat milk, and I use 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites to shave a few more calories. Because lowfat food has less taste richness, I add about 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the milk/egg mix.

My version dries out faster when kept in the fridge afterwards for leftovers, which single me always has. But I just splash it with milk when I reheat. Can be made without nuts.

I do not have an official recipe for this next dish, but I make it often, so I'll do my best to describe, it's a creamy, beany sauce. I serve this to guests all the time, they like it and so do kids.

Easy fast healthy, creamy sauce for beans.

In a 10 inch skillet, add 1 TBLSP olive oil. Sautee a small onion and small green pepper, or 3/4 of a large one. At this stage making the dish you can also add any other italian veggies to the mix you would like. The one I commonly add is a small zuchinni, but you could add some eggplant cubes or sliced fennel or italian style green beans, or spinach or kale, broccoli rabe, whatever you like or just the basics. Add 1 clove garlic, or more depending on your taste, and 1 tsp. italian seasoning mix, or 1/2 tsp. basil and 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/8 tsp. thyme if you don't have that kind of mix around. Sautee until veggies are transluscent. Add 1 large can chopped tomatoes (I think they are 24 oz?) or two small 14/15 oz. ones.

Alternately, and how I almost always do this, dump two cans stewed tomatoes into the skillet, break them up into bite size pieces and doll them up with some garlic and italian seasoning and maybe a splash of red wine or balsamic if that's what you like If you're really a minimalist with cooking and time, I think you can get stewed tomatoes already seasoned with italian herbs. If you use this method you can also dump in some italian style frozen vegetables and simmer them with the stewed tomatoes. This is my "go to" version of beans and greens, so most often I add chopped frozen spinach at this point.

Add a can of garbanzo or canelinni beans. Simmer the sauce and the beans until flavors meld. Now, add an 8 oz. packet of cream cheese to the mix. That's the way the original recipe was given to me, but I almost always just add 4 oz. (a half package) of neufatchel cheese. Break up the cream cheese and combine with the hot beans and sauce until the sauce is well combined and creamy.

Serve this over pasta or rice. I use penne most often.
Top with grated parmesean and maybe some minced parsley if you have it.

If you're a carb-phobe you can serve this with lots of chunky veggies and no pasta or rice.

o

Posted by beagled (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 8:23

Hello! Just found this forum & am in love.

We like this one for parties. I got it from Hungry Girl, which called for nonfat everything, but we make it with whatever we have on hand (nonfat, low-fat, full fat).

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:
20 oz. chunks cooked chicken (we usually used a couple cans of chicken, but could use leftovers)
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (i usually do more of this and less of the salad dressing)
1/4 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1.2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place cream cheese in a medium bowl and stir until smooth. Mix in Frank's RedHot, mozzarella cheese, ranch dressing, and yogurt. Stir in chicken until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture evenly into a deep 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until mixture is heated through. Stir well and enjoy!

I usually mix up a couple 8x8 dishes, and keep one in the fridge to bake during the party if needed.

We serve with chips, crackers, raw veggies. And beer.

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 13:34

Lpink, I'd like a recipe for Strawberry Pretzel. This isn't one I'm familiar with, so I will admit I'm intrigued!

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 14:00

Hi beagled and welcome. You're going to love it here!

o

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 14:17

Beanthere, I had a frittata a couple of weeks ago that was similar to the scrambled egg recipe you posted. It was rather thin, so the cream cheese cubes never melted into the eggs. You'd bite into a nice square of cream cheese along with some other cubed vegetables. I really enjoyed it and plan on making something similar myself.

My mom would make cranberry/date muffins and stick a cube of cream cheese in the center. Those were really good too.

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 16:01

Claire -
I pulled this off another website, but it looks like the one I used to make -- except I put a lot less sugar in it.
Given the topping has sugar, the berries have sugar, the Jell-o is nothing but sugar, adding another cup seems pancreatic suicide.

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert
This dessert has a pretzel crumb crust, a cream cheese filling, and strawberry filled Jell-o on top.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups crumbs from crushed thin pretzels.
4 -1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, regular or low-fat, softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping, such as such as Cool Whip®
1 box (6 oz.) strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen strawberries

Method:
1. Mix the pretzel crumbs with 4-1/2 tablespoons sugar and the melted butter. Press the pretzel crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan.
2. Bake in a preheated oven at 350º for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Fold in the thawed whipped topping. Spread the mixture evenly over the baked, cooled pretzel crust. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
4. Stir the strawberry gelatin powder and boiling water together in a bowl. Add the strawberries, and stir until the berries are thawed. Pour the strawberry mixture over the cream cheese mixture.
5. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until set and completely chilled before serving

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 18:21

I would never make Strawberry Pretzel, (no patience for all those layers) but I would love to see something like that. What a wild dessert!

o

Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 20:04

Thanks for the recipe beanthere dunthat! I obviously missed this one...where have I been? I think my sister served this at a ladies luncheon she hosted and everyone loved it. My first inclination when I heard about it was it sounded a little weird, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

o

Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 10:27

I had Renee's Luxury Scrambled Eggs for breakfast. I made a 1/3 batch, and used one egg and two egg whites like I always do, and lowfat cream cheese, and 2% milk instead of cream. Still "luxury" in my book. The only trouble was, I used what I thought was onion/garlic salt on them, just a sprinkle, but I had forgotten I had mixed in some "Sunny Spain" seasonings from Penzey's into the jar. That is the one Penzey's product I don't like. Sunny Spain is basically a lemon, garlic pepper and I just don't like the lemon taste, there is some other preservative chemical in there or something, or maybe it is the type of dried lemon peel they use. Anyway, the lemon flavor was not really complimentary. But not that bad either, I only used a pinch.

o

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 14:13

Several mentions of neufchatel here, which is timely for me because yesterday I was looking at a recipe that calls for it. So, aside from being lower in fat, is there any significant difference between neufchatel and regular cream cheese?

Comment (1)

Sponsored