SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

My 75 yo neighbor has early onset dementia. How should I handle it?

nicole___
last year

Her names Patti. She lives by herself, not even a pet. She's constantly looking at houses, to down size from her 7000 sq ft home. She needs a hip replacement, plus her ankle needs an operation. She can't manage the stairs. Her mother has full blown dementia and Patti has classic symptoms. I knew this and just thought the things she forgot and her confusion at my vast knowledge was "cute". She is constantly telling me how talented I am, how smart I am, how appreciative she is of my volunteer work around our community. Now she's putting me in situations I don't want to be in. When I sternly told her not to involve me, I was tired/had been volunteering-working all day, ...she thought I had misplaced anger and is telling neighbors I'm Bi-polar. (OK, I shouldn't have been upset with her, the dementia is making her understanding so off. ) She is distancing herself from me.

My husbands advice is: It's out of my hands. When she has a catastrophic event, she'll go into assisted living.

My question is: How quickly does dementia progress? Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comments (49)