SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonbyte5

I feel awful - I just called Animal Control on a neighbors dog

moonbyte5
16 years ago

Sorry this is a long post!

I feel just awful, but I really think it had to be done. While my 2 dogs were out playing this afternoon (in the doubly fenced back yard) the little one started barking something fierce and when I went to check there was a Husky running around right outside their fence with no owners in sight. I ran back in to grab some treats and the extra leash in hopes of catching him and returning him to his owners. My Border Collie used to get out (before the invisible fence was added to the regular fence) so I know how stressful it can be!

When I got back the Husky was gone but two little boys were out there calling for him. I loaded them up with treats and a leash as they explained they were helping their neighbor look for the Husky. A few minutes later I decided it was time to take my B.C for a walk and try to help catch the Husky.

After a while I met up with a man walking his black Lab and asked him if he'd seen the Husky. Indeed he had! It had jumped up on his 11 mo old daughter knocking her down on one of his previous escapes. Apparently the dog gets out pretty much daily and causes havoc. (I'm pretty new to the neighborhood and tend to keep to myself so I'd never heard of this before) The man had already called Animal Control on it several times before.

About that time the girl who owns the Husky came up and once she heard animal control had been called she immediately started yelling and cussing at the man! She couldn't have been more then 14! The man walked away and so did I (opposite directions) and I could hear the girl following him and yelling at him. Soon after I had a close encounter with the Husky but he got away. The two little boys I had loaned the leash to caught up with me at this point and I talked with them while we searched.

Apparently this Husky was the son of a previous Husky the girl had had. The Husky's mother had attacked one of the little boys toy dog and was no longer with them. The family that owned them had ripped out the back fence and since then this Husky got out almost every day. I got close enough to reach for his collar at one point and he turned, growled and lunged at me - I backed off and he ran away. He was obviously unfixed, was marking every few feet and when he pooped one time it was completely runny.

At this point I took my B.C. and went home. The kids were all still out looking but I didn't feel safe trying to catch him. Admittedly I shouldn't have tried to grab a strange dog, but I would have felt worse about not trying at all. I called animal control and an officer was already on his way, then called me back about 20 min later saying they had caught him. I did tell them about the lunging and the runny poop, but they said there was nothing they could do - only issue a non-leash citation, which they had done several times before.

It felt very odd to me that they would do absolutely nothing about this dog getting out all the time and the runny poop did not concern them at all. The officer also made excuses for the family saying Husky's were tricky to keep in. I know the breed are great escape artists, but after at least 2 generations of Husky's shouldn't the family figure out a way to keep them in!?!? Another thing that bothered me was that there was 0 parent involvement trying to find the dog. It may be their daughters dog, but they are ultimately responsible for it's actions.

The whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel bad for calling Animal Control (the first time I've ever done that) but I feel worse for the poor Husky that was seriously lacking in good ownership. I'm also frustrated that all Animal Control will do is continue to issue citations. I hope that the citations will wake up the parents, not make the situation worse. Sorry to write such a long post but I had to vent to people who will (hopefully) understand. :-(

Comments (35)