SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Service Animals, Therapy Animals, and just plain Companions

gillianma
16 years ago

OK, I am responding to the dog in restaurant thread sort of! I thought the distinctions among Service, Therapy and just plain loved companion pet needed a separate thread! I'm sorry, but I am passionate about these distinctions.

"Therapy Animals:"

I have two Therapy (not Service) dogs. They are trained, certified and insured as Therapy dogs. Their "job" is to visit and comfort as requested. We volunteer at various facilities and share a lot of love. As Therapy Dogs they do not get to go everywhere with me and we do not request any favors. Why? Because they are not "Service" animals. They are not essential to my well-being, because I am not disabled. We just volunteer as dedicated well behaved teams and go where we are invited.

"Service Animals"

These come in all shapes and sizes and serve the disabled. A service animal might be a lab or a retriever -- or chi hua hua, a monkey, or a miniature horse for that matter! Service animals alert their disabled owners to a multiplicity of issues. They may be guide animals, hearing alert and seizure alert animals, or mental health animals, and the list goes on . . . Many service animals come from known organizations. Some do not. No "formal" training is required.

Per the ADA, a Service Animal does not have to provide ID. The owner of a service animal does not have to disclose his/her specific disability. Many people who depend on service animals do carry some documentation with them because they are so frequently challenged. 99.9% of people who depend on Service Animals make sure the animal is beautifully trained. They do not want to risk the status of other service animals.

Yes, this does mean that a Service Animal may perhaps invade the space of an allergic person. I'm not sure whether this has been challenged to date. It is an interesting question.

I am horrified by the small minority of people who take advantage of the flexibility of the ADA to take their loved pets everywhere with them. A pet is not a Service animal. A Therapy animal is not a Service animal. Service Animals are very special!

OK, rant over! Please forgive me for being so preachy, but the distinctions are very important to me.

Comments (29)