SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

What to do about neighbor's dogs?

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

My fiance's neighbor (he just moved there about 3 months ago) apparently has about eight dogs. There is this pack of dogs that runs around together and consists of several mixed breed toy sized dogs and two larger (golden retriever sized) mixed breeds. Now, I love animals (have four cats) but no dogs but had four dogs when I was living with my parents (they currently have three as one just passed away)

anyway, the neigbors' dogs are quite a nuisance at times. They just roam free (he does live out in the country, but still...) they are constantly on his porch looking for food (they will carry off the cat bowl he leaves out there for a stray cat). They appear to be afraid of people (or at least of us). They are a nuisance if you are trying to walk down the road because they will run after you and bark and bark if you are in their "Territory". Some of the dogs appear to be very thin and need to be fed. We've never spoken to the people we assume own these dogs. We've never even seen them out of their house. The dogs are free to run whereever they like and I've almost run one over before (an accident) because it was just standing in the driveway when I was backing up and it is very small (the size of a toy poodle).

Another runs on only three legs, holding a hind leg in the air. I really wish I could feed them but I haven't as I don't want eight dogs in the yard all the time. They are the only neighbors who let their dogs roam free.

Well last night, we had new neighbors moving in next door (they are a whole entire other story as they are annoying as well with reving their motorcyles at 10pm) and these eight dogs were standing across the road watching the new neighbors moving in and barking for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT. The new neighbors have a dog and he didn't bark back not even once. But the eight stood on the other side of the road (right across from our house) and just barked and barked and yipped the entire time. We were almost asleep when this started. After an hour and a half my fiance got dressed, went outside and chased these dogs a quarter mile down the road to their own house (where they continued to bark from there for another half hour). The owners never once yelled at the dogs or took them inside. It was very irritating.

I am thinking of calling the humane society to report the dogs. They will either issue a citation or if they feel they are being neglected, they will take them away. However, I'm reluctant to do this because #1 we don't want to start trouble with the neighbors and #2 the "humane society" is the local dog pound and it is a kill-shelter and they only keep the animals for one week. The local rescue does try to adopt animals from the dog pound but does not always have the funds to do so. I don't feel these dogs are a threat (but then again I don't have young children to worry about) I just feel they are neglected and the owner should take responsibility for them and that they are an annoyance. (I can NOT take the barking all hours of the night either!) I love animals but if I had a gun I would have either aimed it at those dogs or their owner last night!!

Should I call animal control and report them? On one hand it might be beneficial for the dogs to be taken care of (fed, etc) but on the other, I'd hate to see them put down because they don't get adopted. What would you do in this situation?

Comments (22)