SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imsoapee

What can I do about my downstairs neighbor with sensitive hearing

imsoapee
16 years ago

I've currently been in my new apartment for five months.

Within two months of moving in, someone informed me that the neighbor below me tends to be a complainer. I didnt take notice of it till the past two months.

The first complaint was at 10:30 AM on a Saturday morning. She had called the front office and claimed that there was excessive noise coming from our apt. My roommate and I were dumbfounded. My dog would sometimes run after his toy and we would hear the carpet scraping but that was it.

Second complaint was two-three weeks after that on Sunday at 8:30 PM. This time she came upstairs and complained again angerily. This time, I knew it was my dog playing with his toy. So I made a conscious effort to put him in his crate whenever he races after his toy.

Third complaint was two weeks after that at 11:00PM on a Friday. This one I think is legit due to the time. But at the same time, I am a bit frustrated at her coming upstairs to complain as soon as he begins to run around. Because I do make a very conscious effort to place him in his crate when he begins to run.

My argument is this.... my dog is in his crate for the better part of the day. He has an open window of 6-9PM where he plays with his toys... and makes the "excessive noise". He goes to sleep the same time I do and he wakes up at the same time also. basically 10PM to 730AM. When he wakes up he doesnt even run around. He eats and is placed in his crate.

My solution to her complaints was to walk him in an area where he can run his little heart out when I come home in the evening and to place him immediately in his crate when he gets in his moods.

I've paid a hefty 500 dollar pet deposit and i also pay a pet rent per month. I feel like I've tried to compromise with her but it seems even those short moments bother her. She also told my roommate that she is also bothered by the sounds of someone getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.

I've read reviews about our apartment complaints and its known for its thin walls. Sometimes, I'll even hear my neighbors next door to me but I'm not bothered by the noise. I feel if she had done her research, she should have opted for another apartment complex or moved to a third floor unit.

I've lived in an apartment complex before and had a downstairs neighbor. Either they were very tolerant or my current downstairs neighbor has very sensitive hearing.

What can I do about this? Is this really excessive noise?

Comments (6)

Sponsored