SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dana_hale59

New addition old home problems

last year

Hello all,
We are wrapping up a little over 330 sq ft addition off the back of our house. We also have done alot of work on our almost 80 year old original home. New siding, excavation of old concrete, etc.. And of course digging a massive hole to pour foundation for the addition.
I feel like the insane amount of money we spent on this adventure has caused me to hyperfocus on the old part of our home. Especially since we have a nice brand new structure attached. I am noticing nail pops and drywall cracks everywhere. Could this be from poor construction and excessive banging from the last 6 months of construction everyday?? Or could the building of the addition shifted our entire house?? Definitely noticed new nail pops from new siding this week.
It seems that alot of the work done on our home was sort of diy or not the best. But the previous owners did seem to put some care into the property. French drain installed, new windows new roof etc. But we do have sloping floors throughout the home. I always attributed that to it just being an old house. My husband says all the things I'm noticing have been there. And to him nothing has changed in regards to our basement/foundation. Since construction has started or even us moving in.
All the cracks in the old home are also straight hairline cracks for the most part. Could it be that these cracks have always been there, the previous owners just covered them up? It seems that way in some spots and it's just taken the 7 years of us living here for them to pop out again? Pretty much I think I'm looking for someone to tell me whether or not they have added on to an older home and it has sort of seemed a little beat up in the process of fixing it up? Or if I should be looking into other things.

Comment (1)