SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ging_gw

New to forums/old house paint problem

11 years ago

Hello all!
Delighted to find this forum - have a 1908 ?Victorian that is an incredible challenge. My husband is fond of saying that you need 'time and money... at the same time' which rarely happens for us. Suffice it to say, through some misinformation and misfortune we are having great difficulty keeping this house in any sort of shape.
Here's one of the irritating problems. I've worked in the paint business and have done my research and know how to paint the exterior of a house. This mid section of the bay on the front (south) of the house is killing me. We have scraped, sanded, primed and painted and the paint peels away in less than a year. I'm wondering if this is more of a moisture problem - other areas do just fine, even the adjoining SW section of the bay. I'm just seeing a bit of peeling there and it's been years for that section. The western wall behind that is performing beautifully as well. I can tell you that there is no insulation in these walls. We also had to take down a small tree that was in front of that SW section of the bay, so maybe it will react worse now that it has more exposure.
The clapboards are, I believe, original and are heart pine. Amazing condition for the most part though some need replacing; down here (Georgia) it's getting extremely hard to find clapboards at all. Of any type.
Would love to hear your ideas and thank you,
Ging

Comments (14)