SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethr1957

Old Rose Forum Friend: New to SoCal Beach City. Help me choose!

bethr1957
15 years ago

Hello, again, friends. When my ex husband made me leave my home and 143 roses, I hadn't the heart to come on here. I lived for 18 long months, without a drop of dirt to plant in, then relocated to SoCal three weeks ago.

I WANT to plant! I took out my rose notebook, to select 10 species from my former glory. My first list was 40! That cannot happen, no room.

I have the list down to 20 roses now, have used sources to take out the black spot magnets; a problem I never had in Phoenix. So here are my choices. If some lovely California rosarians would make suggestions, I would be grateful. My criteria; scent (though I know a few of my choices do not have this), HT form and cuttability.

Salutations to the Web Master.

Beth

Pink

McCartney (I always loved my First Prize)

Peter Mayle (and the Romanticas)

Tiffany

Queen Margaurithe (however it is spelled)

Oranges

Super Star (Tropicana, I actually dug this one up from home. I bought it because the tag actually said Super Star.)

Voodoo

Dolly Parton or Fragrant Cloud

Just Joey (he can't have black spot, he doesn't have leaves!) Is he supposed to? But I trophied with him every time I had a right stage bloom. I could float him in a bowl, and he was so huge, the sides of the bowl would hold up his petals and hide the fact that the bloom was about to blow (lol).

Purple

Angel Face (if you tell me no on this one, I'll do it anyway, but I will be forewarned!)

Intrigue

Red

Ingrid Bergman

Black Magic

Rosie O'Donnell

Olympiad (this one was fabulous in Phoenix the first year, the second it turned into an octopus, and threw 10 ft high single blooms.)

Yellow

Saint Patrick

Midas touch or Mellow Yellow (in Phoenix, Mellow Yellow was the size of Mutabulis. If it will do that here, I can't have one)

Multi

Sheila's Perfume

Double Delight (no fighting now....)

Chicago Peace

So please help a friend. How shall I choose? What does well in the Beach Cities? I could put Intrigue and the Queen in pots. The Queen M might weep in a pot, that would be pretty. She hated Phoenix so much, I planted her under a tree, and she bloomed like crazy, with only 20 minutes of (Phoenix) four o'clock sun a day. Then I could have twelve! (I am already negotiating with the devil, I better have someone with me to hold my wallet.)

Comments (32)