Tell us about your favorite reading spot....
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
tell me about your favorite tools/supplies
Comments (13)You all have helped convince me to buy a King of Spades spade and a one-sided bevel grafting knife, but I'm still trying to figure out some details. On the spade, do you all prefer a long handle or a D-handle? I did use a King of Spades brand spade once digging bamboo at someone else's place. He had the kind in the link below. I just showed the picture to my wife and explained how it worked, saying it was kind of like a built-in T-post driver, to which she asked why one couldn't just drive a long-handled metal spade with a regular T-post driver. I suppose the feasibility of that idea might be obvious if I actually had a regular, long-handled spade in hand, but I'm curious now. But apart from that idea I would be leaning toward the D-handle as it would seem less likely to bend/break since I wouldn't be able to exert as much leverage on it as with the longer handle. Or should I go for as much leverage as I can get, because these things are so heavy it won't matter? On the knife, I saw a one-sided bevel knife at a local hardware store this week that they call a "floral knife." I almost bought it, but then I remembered the orchardist that taught the grafting class that got me started recommended carbon steel over stainless steel, and this knife was stainless. What's the practical difference between stainless and carbon steel, and which would you want for a grafting knife? Also, with a one-sided bevel will it be like a chisel such that I need to start paying attention to which way the bevel is facing when I make cuts, and if so, which way should I turn it? Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo spade...See MoreTell me about your favorite kitchen faucet !!!
Comments (12)I love my Moen Aberdeen. Picking a faucet was very hard for me. In my area, Grohe is what all the stores push. I didn't like the Grohe styling for my kitchen. I finally got the Moen Aberdeen because I wanted a spray that would stay on. It also has a trigger for the whole faucet so you can turn it on and off when you're holding the spray head. This feature is great if you're filling pots that are on the countertop, or filling flower vases. You can turn it on and off from the head of the faucet while your holding it, instead of at the sink. Total one hand operation. It is also nice and tall, and if I'm scrubbing a pot in the sink, I can tug the entire head out, let it dangle in the sink right over the pot, and fill the pot. In this way, it's like those tall chef style sink filler faucets, but without the height. I've been very happy with it. I got mine on Ebay. I think I might have saved about a hundred bucks over what the regular faucet stores wanted. If you decide to get a faucet at Lowe's or HD (I think they have the Moen) be aware that they will accept a return if you change your mind, but they will charge restocking fees nearly as high as the internet sellers do! Good luck....See MorePlease tell me about your favorite cheese knife.
Comments (3)We had a Henckels paring knife for thirty years. We used it on hard cheeses, mostly cheddar, Gruyere, and Manchego. Last week, the blade split in half. My sense is that line Henckels has diminished in quality since 1983, so I am not going to replace it. Perhaps you could call this source and ask about their recommendations. I have found them helpful in the past. Here is a link that might be useful: Fantes cheese implements...See MoreYour favorite famous quote about books/reading......
Comments (25)I'm currently reading Passion for Books: A Book LoverÂs Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Lore, and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books. I don't know if it's famous or not, but I laughed out loud when I read Umberto Eco's "How To Justify a Private Library". [For]people who possess a fairly sizable library (large enough in my case that someone entering our house canÂt help but notice it; actually, it takes up the whole place), a visitor enters and says "What a lot of books! Have you read them all?" At first I thought that the question characterized only people who had scant familiarity with books... But there is more to it than that. I believe that, confronted by a vast array of books, anyone will be seized by the anguish of learning and will inevitably lapse into asking the question that expresses his torment and his remorse... In the past I adopted a tone of contemptuous sarcasm. 'I haven't read any of them; otherwise, why would I keep them here?' but this is a dangerous answer because it invites the obvious follow-up: 'And where do you put them after you've read them?' The best answer is the one always used by Roberto Leydi: 'And more, dear sir, many more,' which freezes the adversary and plunges him into a state of awed admiration. But I find it merciless and angst generating. Now I have fallen back on the riposte: 'No, these are the ones I have to read by the end of the month. I keep the others in my office,' a reply that on the one hand suggests a sublime ergonomic strategy and on the other leads the visitor to hasten the moment of his departure....See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEGuys Tell Us About Their Favorite Places at Home
For Father’s Day, Houzz men show us the places in their homes where they like to hang out
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLHouzz Call: Share Your Favorite Summer Reading Spot
Show us your literary hangout at home and let us know the best book on your summer reading list
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESHouzz Call: Show Us Your Kids’ Favorite Homework Spots
What kinds of spaces help your children get those assignments done at home?
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEShow Us Your Favorite Reading Nook
Where do you put up your feet to escape into a good book?
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES7 Libraries That Tell a Story About the People Who Read There
Book lovers show off their collections in rooms with a range of colors, styles and seating spots
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your Dream House
Let your home fantasy loose — the sky's the limit, and we want to hear all about it
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERSHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your Bathroom Remodel!
Did you recently redo your bath? Please tell us about your upgrade and what it took to get there
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLTell Us: What Puzzles You About Holiday Lights?
Share your questions about and strategies for holiday lights with the Houzz community
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLShow Us a Favorite Wintry Scene Near Your Home
Has winter come to your garden and neighborhood? Please take a photo, share it with us and tell us where you are!
Full StorySponsored

Rosefolly z5