SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Pumpkin ... what?

bragu_DSM 5
last year
last modified: last year

Anything seasonal you look for?

I look for pumpkin puree rather than pie mix.

We also very much like the TJ pumpkin cookies ...

And you?

Comments (42)

• arcy_gw
    last year

Bought my Aspen mulling spices this weekend.

• glenda smith
    last year

Pumpkin bread: been making ths for 30 years for a very special business advisor, one for office and one for home. He dellights me with his October calls to see if my kitchen is spelling yet of pumpkin bread:o)

umpkin bread

Makes 2 regular loaves or 4 mini.

Temp: 350

Baking time for 2 loaves 50-60 *mine is ready in 50

Mini loaves: 40-45 * mine 40

Ingredients

3 eggs

1 lb can pumpkin

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup water

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp soda

1 tsp salt or less

3/4 tsp nutmeg

3/4 tsp cinnamon

optional and I never use: 1/3 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup raisins

In large mixing bowl beat eggs, pumpkin, oil, water.

With whisk blend flour, sugar, soda, salt and spices.

Add flour to pumpkin mixture and mix well. I use my mixer. Stir in nuts/raisins if desired.

Bake in TWO 9x5x3 loaf pans that are greased and floured *I use Bakers spray.

When done, cool in pan on a rack, for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan.

I do this for all my fruit breads, you don't have to but I think they are moister:

In a bread size plastic container, cut waxed paper to fit bottom and sides of container.

After removing from baking pan, take from the cooling rack while hot and put in the plastic container, and cover tightly. Let cool overnite. The condensation from the lid drips down and makes the bread even better.

My OP and I'm sticking to it.

• Related Discussions

bugs and eggs under my pumpkin leaves. what are they?

Q

Comments (4)
    I got these this year. The little ones are the babies. Those eggs will hatch and you will have more get something and scrape the eggs off. They just about killed the Zuc's and watermellon. This is how I got rid of them. In the late afternoon or early evening I sprayed the plants with water really good. It makes the mama bugs crawl to the very top leaves they do not like the water.These bugs hide very well under the leaves. Then I made a mixture of cheap dish soap and water it killed the babies and mamas on the spot(just like apids) Don't spray the soap mixture in the hot sun. 1/4 cp dish soap to 1gl of water do not stir just spray. The Zuc's are now starting to come back.
    ...See More

Strange pumpkin leaves - what's going on?

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm sorry to see that in your patch :( It is definitely a virus, looks like one of the mosaic viruses. Unfortunately that plant is a loss, any fruit will be deformed. You can try cutting out the tip and throwing it out. Hopefully the lateral branches will be ok.
    ...See More

Squash Bugs on Seminole Pumpkins; what do I do/not do?

Q

Comments (1)
    Forgot to mention that friends of ours raise guineas, and they say they are wonderful to put on "bug patrol", [although they don't raise pumpkins] We could probably get a couple within a few days.....do they eat squash bugs, [without eating the squash?]
    ...See More

What kind of pumpkin is this?

Q

Comments (1)
    That early in the development it's virtually impossible to give an accurate answer.. we can provide more information as it grows and develops
    ...See More
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

Pumpkin Puff Pancakes (serves 4)

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp nutmeg

2 large eggs

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

1/2 cup unflavored yogurt

2 Tbsp sugar

2 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla

Warmed maple syrup

In a small bowl whisk dry ingredients together. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs & melted butter. Add the pumpkin, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice & vanilla. Blend in the dry ingredients and mix gently until just evenly moistened (some lumps ok). Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a hot greased griddle. When firm & lightly browned, flip and cook the other side. Serve with warmed syrup.

(These make nice little puffy pancakes. I use a large non-stick skillet with a bit of melted butter and cook them in batches).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I made the mistake of going to TJs today and bought both pumpkin muffin mix and pumpkin pancake mix....

• plllog
    last year

I have 2 big pumpkins here and a few sweetie pie small ones in my farm order.. I don't know how many I'll get done, but pumpkin lasagna, for sure, possibly pumpkin pasta (i.e. in the actual pasta), pumpkin soup, pumpkin “brownies”, pumpkin pie (custard), pumpkin pie fruit style, tempura pumpkin (or kabocha), chocolate pumpkin marble cake. Might try Chloebud's bars with fresh pumpkin...

• aok27502
    last year

I love those pumpkin rolls with the cream cheese. Some years I'll buy one, and that's enough for the season. Or I hope one shows up at Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin pie is my favorite.

• nicole___
    last year

Pumpkin Cheesecake is my favorite. I have two loafs of pumpkin bread in the oven right now tho. I'll freeze one. 🎃

• chloebud
    last year

“I made the mistake of going to TJs today and bought both pumpkin muffin mix and pumpkin pancake mix...."

TJ’s is always pumpkin this, that and everything this time of year! Our daughter is addicted to the pancake mix.

Just thinking about this really simple pumpkin soup recipe we like I got from a caterer long ago.

Pumpkin Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
    1/4 cup (half stick) butter
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    2 cups canned pumpkin
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups heavy cream
    2 1/2 cups chicken stock
    A pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, or to taste (see *Note below)

Optional garnishes: cubes of cream cheese, dollop of sour cream, minced chives, parsley, roasted pumpkin seeds or croutons

Sauté the onion in butter until it is limp but not browned. Sprinkle with curry powder, and continue to cook for a few minutes. In batches, in a blender or food processor (or using an immersion blender for the entire mixture), puree the onions with the pumpkin and salt, then add the cream, continuing to blend. Transfer this mixture to a soup pot or saucepan and whisk in the chicken stock. Heat slowly, seasoning with the spices (see *Note). Do not allow to boil. Serve hot with desired toppings.

A little extra work but I’ve occasionally made mini leaf and pumpkin shaped croutons to garnish this. They’re easy to make ahead and freeze.

*Note: Use a very light hand with the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. You don't want the soup to taste like liquid pumpkin pie. Start with a pinch of each and check the taste. Alternatively, use only the allspice, or a pinch of ground cloves, and increase the curry powder slightly.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I stock up on pumpkin puree at this time of year as pumpkin bread is a year round feature at my house. And pumpkin muffins :-) Otherwise, I am not a big fan of pumpkin anything else....except the pumpkin spice cake donuts made by a local bakery and only at this time of year. I am very fond of Tate's cookies and was tempted by their seasonal offering of pumpkin cookies until I discovered they include white chocolate chips, which I detest.

Otherwise, I am pretty heavy into apples and acorn or butternut squash at this time of year. Fall is time for applesauce! And squash soup!

• plllog
    last year

Ooohhh... pumpkin pancakes....

• Olychick
    last year

I love the TJ's Pumpkin Bread mix and stock up on it for the whole year when it's in stock because it sells out fast and when it's gone, it's gone for another year.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Olychick
  • sealavender
    last year

I need to get some at TJ; it's good to have that. I am the only one in the house who likes pumpkin, so it's all mine...

• colleenoz
    last year

Tinned pumpkin is an unknown here in Oz but pumpkins are always in the shops. I roast pumpkins then puree them myself. Technically it’s squash as I prefer kabocha or butternut.

As well as pies and bread, I love pumpkin scones.

• glenda smith
    last year

Grandson loves my pumpkin dip

1 container (16 ounce size) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 box (5 ounce size) instant vanilla pudding mix
    1 can (15 ounce size) solid pack pumpkin
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix together instant vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Fold in the thawed frozen whipped topping.

Chill in the refrigerator until serving.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked glenda smith
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I like pumpkin pie - I make mine with heavy cream instead of evap milk. I'm a big fan of pumpkin bread - I've been keeping a loaf of quick bread or pound cake handy for DH's morning coffee since neither of us are breakfast eaters, gives him something other than coffee to take his vitamins etc with.

We've been making Paul's Pumpkin Bars for decades even though none of us know who Paul is. Recipe easily found on the internet. Yummy. And, like the pie, no calories if you take a 1" slice every time you pass through the kitchen in place of a full serving on a plate.

Other than that, I don't do much with pumpkin and don't want to. I don't want pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin chili, not even pumpkin spice in my coffee or tea.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • faftris
    last year

Last fall, I discovered Nonni's Pumpkin Spice Biscotti with dark chocolate coating on the bottom. I am SO SORRY.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked faftris
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Pumpkin butter if I have more (fresh pumpkin) than I can freeze or use immediately. I have 4 good sized ones almost ready to pick, plus I will pick up one or two more from the neighbors.

Pumpkin soup, and as another vegetable in vegetable soup or instead of carrot in my bean soup, pumpkin chili, pumpkin cake, brownies or cookies (substituting pumpkin for much of the oil or butter in the recipe - just as I would use applesauce in summer), as a side vegetable with salt/pepper/butter, and of course, several pumpkin pies

bragu_DSM 5 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lily316
    last year

I was hooked on TJs pumpkin body butter and wished I would have bought more. It's not available any longer this year.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked lily316
  • sephia_wa
    last year

Nonni's Pumpkin Spice Biscotti with dark chocolate coating on the bottom

OMG, I need to find these. 😯

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sephia_wa
  • jill302
    last year

Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Biscotti, yum.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked jill302
  • colleenoz
    last year

Curried pumpkin soup is really good, made with some curry powder and coconut milk...yum!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked colleenoz
  • foodonastump
    last year

Like gardengal, pumpkin bread (and muffins) is a year round thing here. My daughter loves it and my mom sends one home for her a few times a month.

I just bought the dessert cookbook "Bravetart" and was looking at the pumpkin pie recipe. Author Stella Parks claims that butternut squash will end up tasting more like pumpkin. I'll give it a try, though the recipe (actuslly all the recipes) look cumbersome. She's a senior editor for Serious Eats so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she's not complicating things for the sake of complicating them. So I'll make the whole wheat graham crackers and homemade consensed milk, and finally the pumpkin pie... one of these days.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked foodonastump
  • amylou321
    last year

Pumpkin is my favorite pie. I also really love a hot and spicy pumpkin soup, which is odd because I usually do not like really spicy things.

I have found in recent years, in addition to my pink and my hearts, I have accumulated quite a few pumpkins.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked amylou321
  • lettersatoz
    last year

Only one pumpkin product sees the inside of our house every year and it hasn’t been mentioned here yet….beer. Specifically, Shipyard Pumpkinhead - yum! Its once very limited production seems to have extended the last couple of years so here’s to hoping we can find it past October this year!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked lettersatoz
  • crazybrunette64
    last year

The only pumpkin item I enjoy (other than actual pumpkins as decorations) is candles. Once I start burning my pumpkin candles I feel like fall is finally here, in spite of our 70-80 degree weather!

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

pumpkin spice coffee

pumpkin muffins

pumpkin bread

pumpkin pancakes

spice/pumpkin candles..

you name it, i love it - low-carb for me though :)

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • bbstx
    last year

DD and I were at Trader Joe’s Sunday afternoon. We wondered what they were going to do with all the shelf space dedicated to pumpkin this and that when pumpkin season ends. FWIW, neither of us care for pumpkin.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked bbstx
  • chloebud
    last year

@bbstx, I know what you mean about the shelf space! They always manage to fill it up after pumpkin season and the holidays are over.

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/trader-joes-pumpkin

bragu_DSM 5 thanked chloebud
  • HU-154865359
    last year

I like idea of pumpkin, but those spices ruin it for me. I think I could handle pumpkin, butter and garlic salt if I found the right way to cook it.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked HU-154865359
  • bpath
    last year

Shameless plug for this:

Disclaimer, I know the owner, but this pumpkin tea bread is so good and only available in the fall. A slice with a dollop of whipped cream on top is our perfect dessert.

Even more shamelessly, Here’s the link. to the online shop.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked bpath
  • plllog
    last year

I don't do ”pumpkin spice” flavor, except in actual pumpkin pie, and not always even for that, though judiciously, on their own, I like all the spices. There's something cloying about the ubiquitous ”pumpkin spice”. And I do fresh actual pumpkins, not butternut or other winter squash, in pumpkin recipes (though I’ll make them as themselves), except in cake where canned works better (probably less water, and legally allowed to be just about any orange flesh winter squash and still be called ”pumpkin” since they're cousins).

HU.-.359 try it with a small pie pumpkin first (or an acorn squash). Cut and clean vertical wedges. Dab with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake/roast at 350F, or a little higher, until the edges are starting to get dark and dry looking. The extra butter should pool in the curve, which can be distributed as you eat. You can do something similar with flesh from a larger pumpkin, but use a knife to cut a clean inner surface, don't just scrape with a spoon, because the texture cooks poorly and isn't pleasant. Cut into brownie sized rectangles. Continue as above. It's harder to know when they're done, and the excess butter runs off, but if you check and pay attention, it'll be fine. You do need to like the stringier texture of a large pumpkin, though. (I do this with butter or vegan spread and just a whiff of nutmeg, but the cook would be the same with garlic salt. I think I'll try it, though maybe with garlic pepper (the kind that has salt)).

TJ's near me, last I saw (2020) had a big pumpkin can display year round. People give it to their dogs.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked plllog
  • LynnNM
    last year

I love just about anything pumpkin, but my DH, who is half English and half Chickasaw Indian, can’t stand anything pumpkin. Or turkey. Same with our DD. It really makes for a not so fun Fall and Thanksgiving around here! I’ve always wondered if it‘s a NA thing (LOL)! Even pumpkin scented candles smell badly to them!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked LynnNM
  • chloebud
    last year

“TJ's near me, last I saw (2020) had a big pumpkin can display year round. People give it to their dogs.”

Both our dog and cat loved canned pumpkin. Not thinking, I once put a pumpkin pie on the counter to cool. Found the cat with her face in it. 🤬

bragu_DSM 5 thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    last year

ROTFL! Smart cat.

Lynn, I have some Euro genes which make certain veg, that others love, unpleasant to inedible for me. Stands to reason that there could be genes, NA or not, which make pumpkin and turkey revolting to your family. I wonder if wild turkeys and unhybridized pumpkins would bother them as much.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked plllog
  • Olychick
    last year

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Olychick
  • chloebud
    last year

^Love it!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    last year

My daughter gave me a jar of pumpkin butter. I love it. I think she bought it from Aldi.

Sue

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • Lars
    last year

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin flavor or pumpkin spice, but I do like a slice of pumpkin pie (I like it better if I make it myself) or pumpkin cheesecake, but I do not feed enough people to make a pie or cheesecake. I don't want pumpkin anything else.

When I worked at a restaurant in San Francisco in 1977, I made 27 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving, and they sold out.

Whenever I make anything with pumpkin, I use fresh ginger instead of powdered, and I think this improves the flavor significantly, but then I especially like ginger. In fact, I prefer gingerbread over pumpkin bread, and ginger snaps are one of my all time favorite cookies. I even like them better than chocolate cookies, but I will be making chocolate cookies tomorrow, or sometime this week. I would eat too many if I made ginger cookies.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Lars
  • bpath
    last year

Oh, ginger cookies. Ginger snaps. Now THAT's fall to me. And winter. Not so sweet as pumpkin stuff, it wakes up the tongue.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked bpath
  • beesneeds
    last year

I don't usually buy pumpkin stuff. But there is always a few pie pumpkins in the squash pile that accumulates on my kitchen table this time of year. Every few years I get a big pile and I make a batch of squash flour. Takes a lot to make a little, lol. But great to add in to baked goods. Most years it's a smaller pile and a few different kinds gets pureed up together for the freezer. Pumpkin muffins, golden herb rolls, the occasional pie, for adding into cooking off season. It also works nice to dress a box spice cake mix. The rest gets fresh eaten. A pie pumpkin is usually a bit large for stuffing., but I've done it to serve 4- bake the halves, the cut those in half after baking to serve. Fried pumpkin, roasted pumpkin, pumpkin croquettes, risottos, several kinds of soups and stews. Layered in with potatoes and ham for scalloping or with cauliflower and chickpeas as a curry. In a ragout with white beans and fennel. As parts of fillings for various bites- ravioli, samosas, pastys, dumplings, gyoza, perogi. It gets added to bowls- usually a grain base, with a meat, a variety of veggies, sometimes cheeses or pickled eggs.

I don't own pie spice mix. I do own all the spices so I can use the amounts we like in whatever.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

The only thing pumpkin I'll eat are pumpkin cookies. They are soft and chewy and have raisins in them. I bake the best pumpkin pies (or so I've been told) but I use fresh not canned, pumpkin. I haven't baked one in years because I don't have the time anymore. The store I work at sells pumpkin and apple pies by Market Fresh (I think that's the name?) and I pick one of each up. They're just as good as home made.