SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedabyler

Squash Bugs on Seminole Pumpkins; what do I do/not do?

friedabyler
13 years ago

Hello y'all,

This is my first year growing Seminole pumpkins, and I have to say I'm amazed by their vigor and productivity. Haven't lost a single plant to SVB, but alas, I'm seeing squash bug eggs, and some squash bugs on a few leaves. I'm battling these in another squash/pumpkin bed, [a good distance away], and am dreading the thought of having to fight them there as well! I've noticed that many people do nothing but provide adequate water and rich soil for their Seminoles, and let the natural predators take care of the bugs, but is that advisable? Are they vigorous enough to hold out until the predators find the bugs? I've been handpicking eggs and bugs, squishing them, drowning them, spraying with red pepper, soap and water [which will kill the young squash bugs, but you have to actually hit them with it.] I've applied neem a few times [drenched my pumpkin patch], and all of those seem to help, but I do have other things to do! These plants have amazed me; I planted ten of them, and almost can't contain the vines; they will probably start climbing up the side of our barn, if I don't cut them back.........lots of baby pumpkins, but I want the plants to live long enough for the fruit to ripen! It would break my heart to lose them, but I feel like I'm living in the garden/orchard as it is. What do some of you more experienced gardeners recommend?????

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!