SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eskurz

Exterior Ideas 1950s Lake House Brick Arches 4/12 Roof

E Kurz
last year
last modified: last year

While I anxiously await hurricane damage to my little Florida house... Here's our 1950's lake house that was remodeled in 1980, and now we are remodeling again. Maybe it is charming, maybe it is ugly? :) It's on acreage, we'll end up with a little farm here. We're making the inside farmhouse/cabin style, shaker cabinets, wood floors, simple 1x4 trim, exposed ceiling joists and beams in the living room. It's got a unique stone fireplace, looks like it was made with local stones that are large, 1 ft by 2 ft size or so but not very uniform.

The style when we bought it was something between mediterranean and out west. A brick wall in the kitchen and several more brick arches inside, but they made tight S curves in the traffic flow in what we wanted to be an open space so they had to go. There were big wrought iron fixtures and lights on a wagon wheel. The walls were plaster and lath with massive texture on them or 70s thin wood paneling. There was lots of taxidermy and dramatic dark pink carpet before. It was unique. :)

We're looking for ideas for what to do on the outside. Do we embrace those brick arches and leave them alone? Paint them? Take them down and use chunky wood posts instead? I'm going to have to do a lot of patching on the stucco from the window installs, we can change the texture or do something else. I wish our roof was steeper but that isn't in our budget.

We'll also be adding a connected garage in front of the current garage and closing in the breezeway and current garage as more living space.

Hit me with your ideas, please!

Comments (3)