SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
szandrewski

How many (decorative) light fixtures is too many?

Bethany Szczepanski
last year
last modified: last year

Edit: I'm refering to decorative fixtures. There will be plenty of led task lighting.

My new cabinets are on order for our kitchen remodel and I have a dilemma with the lighting plan. I planned to have wall sconces flanking the range hood and above the wash sink, and a chandelier above the table, plus either downlights or sconces in the bar hutch. I was not planning to put pendant fixtures above the island because there is only an 8' ceiling in that area, adjoining dining and family rooms with 10' ceilings. I was thinking just can lights or maybe a ceiling fan, but now am worried that was a mistake both for looks and task lighting. Is it too much to have all the wall sconces plus island pendants? If yes, which do I choose? The island is 6 x 4 with seating on the short edge, so could have 2- 12" pendants or 1 larger or linear pendant. The kitchen portion of the room is 11 x 16. The window in the rendering is actually a pass-thru to the family room. There is a large window on the blank wall. I plan to use a round or square table, not like shown.

Comments (15)