SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

how many metal finishes is too many?

LE
15 years ago

Confession: We started a master suite/attic conversion project a good many years ago (OK,so it was 15 or so) and did a lot of it, but never quite finished the bathroom. The major mistake was moving into the bedroom before it was all finished, and then getting used to it the way it was.

Fast-forward to 2008. We have some craftsman-style lighting fixtures that are brass (yeah, I know it so NOT 2008, but they were expensive and they are nice, not cheesy 80's stuff and I still like them.)

In the bath, we had the whirlpool tub installed and it also has polished brass hardware. Something funky happened to the finish on the tub filler, though, so it does need replacing.

Now we are finishing the project. I am not willing to re-buy the lighting fixtures, and because we already have the faucets, etc. I'm hesitant to re-buy those. But we need the hardware for the frameless glass shower,plus towel bars, rings, glass shelf,and so on.

We are getting custom cabinets made, warm wood color (sycamore plus sapele mahogany) and black richlite countertops).

I don't want to add any more polished brass to the party.

Now for the questions:

Would oil-rubbed brass look enough like the matte black Richlite to provide an echo of that color?

Would an Antique Brass be similar enough, but toned down enough, to play well with what is already going on?

(The ORB can't go on the black counters, because it would disappear.)

I was thinking of ORB for the towel bars and other accessories, and maybe antique brass for the shower clips, but still use the polished brass we have for the faucets, showerhead and sprayers. But I could also bite the bullet and replace the faucets with antique brass if I could convice myself it would be worth it.

I know times change and there seems to be an ordinance requiring polished nickel this year, but that isn't going to happen here. I have to stay in the warm-toned family, I think. This is an old 1919 bungalow and had a lot of brass hardware originally, so it's not like I'm living in an 80's brass and glass palace!

Insights, anyone?

Comment (1)