SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Please post your Sept. 2022 arrangements

mmmm12COzone5
last year

Would love to see what your Sept. arrangements look like. Please add the rose names.

My bushes are finally big enough to cut off longer stem roses.

Spray from Lady in Red and spray from Iceberg.

Parade Day.

Neil Diamond, Amiga Mia and lady in Red.

Pretty Lady Rose.

Comments (93)

• gardenchloe
    last year

L Clark,

Yes. These are "Alabama Sunset" coleus.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked gardenchloe
  • summercloud -- NC zone 7b
    last year

This is my first time posting photos! Did it work?

Pictured here: David Austin roses 'Darcey Bussell' and 'Lady of Shalott,' Kordes rose 'Quicksilver,' dahlia 'Thomas Edison,' and another I can't remember, and a couple cosmos.

We had a really dry summer and my new David Austin roses happened to be planted in wetter spots in the garden so they did really well. I'm trying not to shovel prune my third-year Kordes roses that are unfortunately in a drier spot. I need to dump a bunch more compost and mulch there and see what they do next year.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked summercloud -- NC zone 7b
  • Related Discussions

Your ideas about how to arrange this built-in bookcase, please?

Q

Comments (34)
    This is probably way too late, but if not....I was flipping the channels the other night (be so glad when the writer's strike is over) and came upon the last few minutes of HGTV's Color Splash, with that David guy. (He's very talented, but can only take so much of him.) The segment was "Dramatic Den Makeover" - (the number for the episode is HCLRS.304 and it will be aired again on January 28 at 8:30 ET. Anyhow, he transformed this space to a gorgeous libary setting. Took prefab bookcases and added crown molding and it was phenomenal! You might find it interesting.
    ...See More

Please post pictures of island seating arrangements

Q

Comments (8)
    There are four of us but we have room for five. There's a 36" cabinet in front of the two chairs (just nice extra storage)/behind the sink. The front of the island has a curve to it. On the sink side, in that 36" cabinet, we have one trash and two recycling pull outs.
    ...See More

Your June 2022 highlights

Q

Comments (72)
    @rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) I love Painter's Palette (and most persicarias) and yours looks beautiful! Mine is mostly mingling through my garden, but it seems I can never get enough. I have some rooting right now and haven't gotten around to moving seedlings yet.
    ...See More

Your garden pics August 2022

Q

Comments (29)
    Gorgeous flowers, everyone! Makes me happy to hear you're seeing more birds and insects! I, too, am seeing a lot this year -- if we plant it they will come!
    ...See More
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Summercloud, They worked and we get to see your beautiful flowers! Thanks for posting them.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Lovely flowers, Summercloud 🙂

mmmm12COzone5 thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Here's a plonk from today of Rogue Royal and Gabriel Oak

And here's a mixed bouquet

Fennel seed heads, aster and hydrangea as filler. Day Dreamer dahlia, Madame Anisette, Claire Austin, Lady Emma Hamilton and Polka.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw Those are perfect bouquets, so artistic like a piece of artwork. I enjoy your pics. Thank you for sharing.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
    last year

Thanks, Straw. I don't always have the time to make artistic ones which is why I like sharing the plonks, too. Roses are just so beautiful however it is that they go in a vase!

I'm really glad mmmm12CO started this thread. I've been enjoying everyone's gorgeous blooms!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Upper left is Versigny (will order again from Roses Unlimited since it's small & can be grown in a pot). Middle orange is Lady of Shalott. Right pink is Comte de Chambord (hardest rose to root), lowest right is W.S. 2000 (rooted a bunch this year).

Below are good fall bloomers: white Bolero and Dee-lish (dark pink), also blue Poseidon. Lowest left is Yves Piaget seedling (100% thornless, smells like red wine). After 12 years of failure, I finally succeeded in rooting Yves Piaget seedling this year.

Lowest dark red are Munstead Wood, best booms are in Sept & Oct. MIddle white is Mary Magdalene (amazing frankincense), upper red is The Dark Lady (nice old rose scent). Mary is 10 times harder to root than The Dark Lady, but both are very drought-tolerant as own-root.

Center yellow is Well-Being (nice scent like Jude), middle pink is Parfume de Paris (small bloom but nice honeysuckle scent). Left beige is Princess Charles de Monaco (less petals in dry weather). Right Gaudy yellow is Golden Fairy Tale (nice peppermint scent), but bush is huge & very thorny.

Below is Sept. 28 bouquet with The Dark Lady, always the largest blooms at 4" across. Light pinks are Sonia Rykiel (scent is just as good as Evelyn and Nahema). Yellow is Well-Being which prefers alkaline clay & alkaline tap water with dark-green leaves.

Sweet Mademoiselle (left) and Evelyn (right) both give a good fall flush. Lowest red is W.S. 2000:

Moonlight Romantica (yellow below) and red Firefighter both last long in the vase, up to 5 day. Moonlight Romantica has a better-quality scent than Firefighter (stronger, but too fruity):

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Strawchicago, your colors are fantastic! I wish I had all your roses, especially Moonlight Romantica and W.S. 2000.

last year

Straw, you have influenced many of my purchases over the past two years. Your WS 2000, Sweet Mademoiselle and Well Being looks especially beautiful this time of year.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

I'm late to the party as it's October now but I hadn't made many arrangements lately. Here's one I made this morning, though.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

That's so beautiful, Magpie! I love the purple and apricot colors together. Is the rose Moonlight in Paris?

last year

Thank you! Yes it is :) it's got nice coloring this time of year. Fillers are agastache, baptisia, sweet pea, basil.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Gorgeous Magpie! My roses are not looking very fresh due to the cold temps. I may try and cut a few that are just starting to open to allow them to open in the house but I can tell it is the end of the season and everything is winding down.

last year

@mmmm12COzone5 Oh yeah, I MIGHT get one more arrangement with roses but this could well be the last one. Because of the shortening days plus the sun's angle has changed, my yard is suddenly a lot less sunny and things have been winding down for a little bit now.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Librarian - incredible bouquets! Your RR and GO bouquet is sumptuous! I am in awe of how beautiful those blooms are! And your mixed bouquet is really, really well done. I would never have thought of putting fennel seed into your arrangement...but it works. They look better than a professional bouquet...like Straw said...a work of art!

Straw - as usual, your The Dark Lady draws my eye and delights me. :) I love the dark fall color of Sweet Mademoiselle. The gaudy yellow of GFT makes me want one. :) :) My favorite bouquets are the first one and the 3rd one...wonderful, wonderful!!

Magpie - the dramatic purples really look nice against the softer pinks...beautiful bouquet!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked rosecanadian
    last year

Anyone still getting some fall blooms?

I haven't been in my garden as much as I'd like because we're getting a lot of wildfire smoke (to unhealthy and hazardous levels), but I did manage to get outside to cut some blooms as a thank you to our daycare provider.

• rosecanadian
    last year

What a LOVELY thank you!! Who wouldn't love those beautiful blooms? !! That's too bad about the smoke. Hopefully the fires will be contained soon.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Librarian_gardner, sorry to hear about your wildfire smoke. We get that alot and it ruins the ability to be outside. This year we've been lucky.

Your arrangements are beautiful!!!

I actually have a surprising number of blooms but haven't been cutting any for the house. I did take some photos yesterday of a couple of bushes.

Calico Gal is having a flush. I'm leaving the spent roses on the bush instead of deadheading to get the roses ready for winter.

Here are Sally Holmes and Lady in Red.

Love Song:

The Fairy:

I'll probably go take some pics of the other roses today because we are getting close to freezing at night so this is going to be it for the season.

last year

Thanks, Carol and mmmm.

We're supposed to finally get significant rain starting on Friday, so that should help with the fires. We got a little rain in September but then it's been dry and sunny (well sunny above the smoke) since then .

Mmmm what beautiful fall flushes, especially Calico Gal!

last year

Mmm, I'm surprised you still have so many rose blooms. Mine are tired for the season. I wonder if your garden is slightly warmer from the rocks or just your location, I've noticed frost damage on some of my plants the last few days and that telltale glimmer of ice crystals on the deck railing in the early morning.

Librarian, I also love to give bouquets as thank you's. And I also clean out glass jars from groceries of often to use as vases, and I don't worry about giving them away with bouquets.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie, I think it is our location. Many of my neighbors have more blooms than I do. We haven't had a freeze yet. Here are some more pics:

Dick Koster

Pretty Lady Rose

Fred Loads has been loads of fun. It is now 10 ft tall so I am mostly looking up at blooms. It regularly blooms bright orange at the tips of the long canes. It is my tallest rose and a novelty for me to get to look up at roses. It was the last rose we put in. Planted as a band 7/20. So it has done amazingly well.

Everything else has a smattering of blooms. So the bed looks like this:

Almost forgot Winnipeg Parks for L.Clark since he has one also.

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw We must live relatively close (I live in Westfir and commute to Eugene for work). Just wanted to pop in and say your bouquets are stunning! Wow!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

Ah, thanks, Meg!

Oh gosh, you must have been inundated with this smoke, too, especially being so close to Oakridge. You're right, we are close!

Oh gosh, you must have been inundated with this smoke, too, especially being so close to Oakridge. You're right, we are close!I'm in the Eugene/Springfield area. Fingers crossed for rain this weekend!

Magpie, the natural peanut butter jars are my favorite for bouquets. Cleaned up they look just like glass vases. I really like the flowering basil in your arrangement.

Mmmm, your garden is looking lovely. I always savor these late blooms, never knowing when the cold rain will make them too mushy or the frost will hit.

• Meredith Shermer
    last year

Koko loco, Princess Charlene of Monaco, some salvia and allium blooms

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Meredith Shermer
    last year

Librarian, thank you. The basil outlasted all the other flowers in the arrangement.

• rosecanadian
    last year

mmmm - amazing Calico Gal...so many blooms! Your roses are doing so well! :) :) I'm also charmed by your Dick Koster and Pretty Lady Rose!

Meredith - GASP!!!! What a glorious bouquet...I love how the salvias and allium are in the same color tones as the roses!! Your Koko Loco is magical!!! :)

last year

Meredith, what a lovely arrangement. I agree, your Koko Loco is magical.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Meredith, Gorgeous!!! You have a talent for arranging flowers.

last year

A sweet neighbor gave us a bucket of garden grapes so I returned her bucket with flowers 😁

I'm trying to enjoy these fall blooms as much as possible. The rains returned (yay!) so everything will be a wet cold mush soon and then the frost is just around the corner.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Librarian gardener, those colors are gorgeous!

• Meredith Shermer
    last year

Rosecanadian, libarian_gardener_8b_pnw, mmmm12COzone5; thank you!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Meredith Shermer
  • The Rose Geek
    last year

mmmm12COzone5 thanked The Rose Geek
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

So many beautiful arrangements! they are really inspiring. I especially like librarian’s. Beautiful rich colors yet in great harmony.

Not sure whether this could be considered as an arrangement: Julia child towered by an Angel’s Trumpet

mmmm12COzone5 thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

@mmmm12COzone5 Your lady in red is grown as a bush? I thought it was a climbing rose. And your Love Song is very lovely!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Rosegeek, you are clearly a professional flower arranger for historic mansions. Your arrangement is stunning!

forever_a_newbie, yes my Lady in Red grows as a bush. We gave it two trellises when we planted it, thinking it would climb. It never does even though we try and pin it up. It also isn't cane hardy here in Colorado. So every year it is a mass of dead canes. Your Julie Child is pretty! I really like the color.

last year

Rosegeek, what a beautiful arrangement! A great mix of colorful roses and other flowers.

forever_a_newbie, nice companion planting! I love it when plants compliment each other in the garden. Thanks for the compliment on my flowers

• mmmm12COzone5 thanked The Rose Geek
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Librarian - you've grown such beautiful flowers!! What a lovely rainbow of colors!! :) :)

Rosegeek - I love what mmmm said about you!! Exactly!! :) :) Such a wonderful arrangement!

Forever_a_Newbie - I love those Angel's Trumpet flowers!! So cool!

• The Rose Geek
    last year

Thank you @rosecanadian!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked The Rose Geek
  • L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Wowzer, beautiful !!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Woke up to most of the garden looking like mush, as we got our first good freeze last night. This was all I could salvage, the last arrangement for the year. The rose is Le Petit Prince.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Magpie - oooh!!! Gorgeous!!! Are they fragrant?

last year

What a beautiful last arrangement. LPP is quite a gorgeous lavender rose!

last year

Thank you :) Carol, LPP is fragrant, and I happen to think the scent is very nice and unique, definitely not typical "rose" fragrance. It's powdery and lemony and fresh smelling. Oh, and the bees like it!

last year

Every time. I make a bouquet I th njnj think. It's the last one. (Is Houzz inserting nonsense words it won't delete for anythinganyone else?)

Thank goodness it's raining for almost a week and the wifewildfire smoke. Is gone. But it's so cold and wet heatheathuh that most rose varieties are falling prey to botrytis. But I got enough flowers to put together at least oneoneore more nice arrangement.

The pink rose is Sweet Delight from Palatine (RPRP
    From NIRP and it's wonderful and incredibly fragrancefragrant

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

last year

Meg, those are beautiful! I especially like thetheall thethe all the other foliage and flowers and berries you mixed in with the roses.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Magpie - oh, it sounds wonderful!!! :) :) Maybe I'll try it again. Mine died the same year I got it...that was the rose year from hell. LOL

Librarian - I'm getting a chuckle out of reading the mess that Houzz makes of your typing. Don't let it bother you...we can still make out what you're saying. And it's kind of cute. :) Your bouquet is gorgeous!!! I know!!! Isn't Sweet Delight a great rose?!! The fragrance is ALWAYS there...and strong and fabulous!!! It looks great in your bouquet!

Meg I love orange and purple. Your bouquet is lovely!! What are the white berries? We have a Christmas decoration that looks exactly like that and we have no idea what it is. :)

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

For some reason I can't comment on here through my phone, it deletes every word that I type as soon as I hit the space bar to type the next word. Strange. Thank you, @librarian_gardner_8b_pnw, I can't wait until my roses are big enough to make gorgeous bouquets like yours! @rosecanadian Thank you, I love orange and purple/blue together too. The white berries are called Snowberries, they grow wild on the riverbank behind my house in Oregon.