SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Zone 5 and colder, which roses would you buy again

mmmm12COzone5
last month

Was/am considering a new rose bed. Alternatively could just replace rose in my current rose garden that I wouldn't buy again. If you live in zone 5 or colder could you share which ones you would buy again and why? Also post a full bush picture if you have it.

Roses I'd buy again include:

1. Winnipeg Parks - First to bloom in the spring. Last to have living blooms in the fall. So prolific that the Japanese Beetles can't eat everything.
  2. Fred Load's - Gorgeous pillar of bright orange rose for me.
  3. Candy Land - Blooms last a long time on the bush. Attractive (still small for me) climber that is easily shaped.
  4. Parade Day - Lots of gorgeous blooms.
  5. Amiga Mia - Great scent, gorgeous bush, lots of flowers.
  6. Dick Koster - Not a great bloomer but what does come lasts a long time and the Japanese Beetles don't touch it. Also find the flowers really cute.
  7. Iceberg - Good performer.
  8. Pretty Lady Rose - Has been more of flusher as it has aged but the blooms are gorgeous and I love the scent.
  9. Easy on the Eyes - Gorgeous flowers.

Don't have a complaint about but not sure I would buy again.

1. Livin' Easy - Gorgeous flowers, blooms alot, nice bush but I don't really love it like some of the others.
  2. Calico Gal - I emotionally love this rose as for me it has an appealing bloom form but I feel that there may be better choices out there. It can be stunningly pretty. Probably will keep it.

Roses I would not buy again:

1. Above All - Blooms are short lived and come late so they are eaten by Japanese Beetles.
  2. Neil Diamond - Flowers fry in the sun. Scent is strong but doesn't appeal to me.
  3. Lady in Red - Advantage is it blooms in the heat of the summer when nothing else does. But I hate that it dies to the ground every single year.
  4. Robusta - Too many thorns (rugosa).
  5. Sally Holmes - Eaten by Japanese Beetles all through the summer. Never got as big as advertised.
  6. Denver's Dream - Flowers last a long time but the color palate doesn't go well with my other roses.
  7. Dainty Bess - Gorgeous blooms but too easily eaten by Japanese Beetles.
  8. Love Song - Stayed small and blooms well for it's size but is really too small.
  9. Fourth of July - Hasn't taken yet. Love the blooms but they fry in the sun and there aren't alot of them.

Based on the list above I could have 9 spots that I could try new roses in without opening a new bed. Or I could just take the first 3 out. I really wouldn't mind losing those three.

Decisions, decisions...so if you have some you really love I'd love to see if they would work for me also and maybe replace some on my list that are nice roses and do well but that I wouldn't buy again.

Comments (19)